Transmission fluid is not red...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission fluid is not red...

Im told its supposed to be red. Its not, I have about 90,000 miles on it. Some say I should have the transmission flushed out completely, others say that dropping the pan and replacing the filters is good enough.

Personally I think that I should have it flushed. What do you guys think?
    2001 Chevy Impala (3400)

drop the pan and change the filter. Sometimes doing a full flush on a trans that has not been maintained (regular fluid changes before it turns dark) can create problems.
    Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
    3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
    Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
    2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
    TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

I know, I have seen it happen. So I am getting as many opinions as I can.

Allow me to describe symptoms. Often times in hot driving conditions, I get minor slippage both under power and just idle driving. It often feels like the transmission is slipping out of gear for a brief moment, or is unable to decide what gear it wants to be in.

I sense that I get extra load on the engine because it heats up easier and quicker under power than I feel it should.

If you guys were in this situation, what would you do?
      2001 Chevy Impala (3400)

Comment

I would just change the fluid and filter. But start checking around for a new transmission. Sound like its going bad and the damage is done.

Comment

if the tranny feels like its slipping, it likley is, and if its slipping nothing will fix it except an overhaul. you can try servicing it, however if it fixes it, it would be the first tranny i have heard of that a service fixed.

Comment

I've had tranny's with SLOW shifting improve with a fresh fluid and filter change. One just on Sunday in fact (4T65e) That's about it.
            Brian

3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
            2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB

Comment

all the auto trannies that i've done filters/fluid on ended up slipping worse after..

If you really want to do this then atleast use Type F tranny fluid, it may help out a little... you'll probably need a tranny replacement soon though. Once the bands start slipping there isn't much you can do.
              Past Builds;
              1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
              1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
              Current Project;
              1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Yea I agree with everyone the fluid is baked and the clutches and bands are probably glazed over. You may also have glazing in the valve body and on the solenoids. If you can do the service now and you may be able to save what you have and just replace the clutches and bands. And you might get away with just cleaning everything else. If there is metal wear on the components then you might want to find a good used one to freshen up instead.
                1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Well guys, this is what happened.

We ended up using a shopvac to remove as much oil out of the transmission as possible through the fill tube.

We unbolted the pan and looked at the metal shaving buildup on the magnet at the bottom of the pan.

Everyone that looked at it insisted it represented normal wear and tear.

I installed a new filter and cleaned the pan and refilled the transmission to specified level and immediately noticed improved performance.

The improved performance amounts to a trip that would normally require 3/4 tank of fuel now only requires hardly more than 1/4 tank.

I no longer notice slippage under load and acceleration is much improved.
                  2001 Chevy Impala (3400)

Comment

good to hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Brian

3400 SFI V6, 4T60e

Comment

hell mine looked like motor oil when i dropped the pan in the beretta. put like 6 quarts new stuff in.
                      im still gettin a new tranny cause the current one wont hold with the new forseen power from the new engine its getting.
                      sigpic
                      99 Grand Am GT
                      3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
                      Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
                      1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
                      515 515 lift 112 lsa
                      15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

Originally posted by ahazuarus View Post
                        The improved performance amounts to a trip that would normally require 3/4 tank of fuel now only requires hardly more than 1/4 tank.

I no longer notice slippage under load and acceleration is much improved.
                        WOW! This makes me want to run out and replace my trans fluid and change my muffler bearings.

Comment

dont forget to grease the muffler bearings before you put them in.
                          sigpic
                          99 Grand Am GT
                          3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
                          Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
                          1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
                          515 515 lift 112 lsa
                          15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

I remember what I got the lavender Dodge Intrepid and that had old fluid and the trans slipped occasionally, till I replaced the filter and fluid. Never needed and overhaul. 100,000 rental
                            Lorenzo
                            '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
                            '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

Working...
                            X