Differences in Transmissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences in Transmissions

Is there a difference between an '83 S10 4WD 700R and an "86 S10 4WD 700R?
    I see the rebuild kits stop at '84 then p/u with a different # for '85 and '86. Can't the difference, if any, be overcome?
    '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

the difference is the valve body gaskets that come in the kit, along with a few seals. its best to get the overhaul kit for the correct year of the transmission.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The reason I asked is I picked up an '83 in good condition for a spare for my '86 Blazer. I looked to see if the kits were different to see if maybe there was a fit problem.
      '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

Comment

as far as swapping the entire unit out, the only issue you may have is with lockup. worst case you would have to put the internal transmission wiring harness into the 83 tranny for it to work correctly.

Comment

That doesn't sound too easy. Will it work w/o it? When did they come out with that? This '83 has a plugin on the mid left side of the trans. It's square and has 3 male connectors inside it.
          Last edited by Ray Hamilton; 06-15-2007, 02:33 AM.

Comment

thats the lockup plug, its on all 700r4 transmissions. as long as both transmissions have the pins in the same location (some had 2, 3 or 4 wires in that plug) you should be fine. if left unplugged, the tranny will work fine, you just wont have lockup and sacrafice fuel economy.

Comment

You will also need to use the convertor from the later tranny, it has a 30 spline input shaft as opposed to a 27 spline.

***EDIT*** I read what you are doing backwards, just keep the right convertors with the right trannys.
              Last edited by 86euro; 06-16-2007, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Keep the '83 convertor with the '83 and '86 with the '86. Thanks for the replies. This is supposed to be a good working trans I got for $50. They're getting hard to find used around here, even cores.

Comment

Working...
                X