5 speed swap for a v6 alero?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 speed swap for a v6 alero?

does anyone have a complete lisgt and or part numbers for a 5 speed swap into a V-6 alero? any hel appreciated

Here's what I know...

The 1995-1997 2.2l J-Body (Cavalier/Sunfire) 5 speed MK7 -- aka Isuzu -- transmission will bolt right up to the 3400. You will need the shifter and cables from that car as well. Also, the clutch reservoir and piping, clutch pedal, flywheel, slave cylinder (it's internal) and clutch plates.

From there, not sure about CV axles if you will need 94-98 N-Body or if the J-Body ones will work. The tranny mounts will need to be changed. Your ECU will need to be reflashed to remove all auto trans settings. As for the rest of the details, I'm not sure...
    Last edited by Kardain; 12-31-2006, 04:19 AM.

Comment

i would stay away from the isuzu 5 speed myself. they are alright with a 4 cyl, but many people have diff problems as well as other breakage issues with a highly modded 4 cyl, so you can imagine what a v6 would do.

i would go with a 92-94 getrag 5 speed from a j-body v6, or a 2000-2002 getrag from a 2.2l j-body. either will bolt right up, and they are both good transmissions.

Comment

MM Have don that swap so I the list is as following:
        A getrag from a 2001 sunfire or alero/grand am is ok because they can with stand more power than the Isuzo one.MM just use all of the part from a manual alero/grand am( Clutch padel, shifter and cabels from the same gearbox, flywheel, and all the other stuff. It's much easier to do this swap if you get like all the parts from a 2.4 alero/grand am.

And when you're finishi with that you need to reflash and retune you're ECU.

Comment

I'm using the getrack gearbox from a berretta that came with the 3.1 v6 so it's a HM-282. MMm all other things like shifter cables most be costume where the cables hook up with the gearbox is diffrent

Comment

i would go with a 92-94 getrag 5 speed from a j-body v6, or a 2000-2002 getrag from a 2.2l j-body. either will bolt right up, and they are both good transmissions.
            I'd go this route myself, but since my car's already a manual....

As far as the breakage goes, from what I've read, its usually third gear that dies. The diff can be swapped for one out of a Geo Storm (forged diff) if it should happen to break. The gearing can be changed up a bit as well...

However the route you want to take, theres the above options (and I'm sure there are more). Just whatever you decide, make sure you get all the parts you can out of the donor vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by TurboAlero View Post
              MM Have don that swap so I the list is as following:
              A getrag from a 2001 sunfire or alero/grand am is ok because they can with stand more power than the Isuzo one.MM just use all of the part from a manual alero/grand am( Clutch padel, shifter and cabels from the same gearbox, flywheel, and all the other stuff. It's much easier to do this swap if you get like all the parts from a 2.4 alero/grand am.

And when you're finishi with that you need to reflash and retune you're ECU.
              just keep in mind that a 2.4l tranny or an ecotec tranny will not bolt up to our motors. you need the getrag from a 2000-2002 j-body 2.2/2200. everything else is exactly the same on the tranny compared to a 2.4/ecotec, so mounts and such can come from a 2.4 alero/grand am

Comment

I didn't know that , but does the 2.4 engine in the alero/grand am come with the 4t40E tranny?
                it's the same tranny I think that come's with the 3.4 ( same housing ) because the 3.4 came with the 4t45E

Comment

Originally posted by TurboAlero View Post
                  I didn't know that , but does the 2.4 engine in the alero/grand am come with the 4t40E tranny?
                  it's the same tranny I think that come's with the 3.4 ( same housing ) because the 3.4 came with the 4t45E
                  might have different housings.

Comment

might have different housings.
                    Correct.

Comment

the 4t40e comes behind the 2.4l as well as the 3400. they are however a different bellhousing.

Comment

5 speed N bodys are somewhat difficult to locate. I currently have most of the parts needed to swap to a 5 speed but lack of time and a place have me thinking of selling what I have.

Some of my info can be found here:
                        2000 Grand Am GT
                        2011 Chevy Impala

"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter

Comment

let me know what you want for the stuff if you do go that route. what flywheel do i need to use? one from a 3.1 car?

Comment

One from whatever car you get the tranny from (just to make sure the clutch works properly)

Comment

will a 96-99 cavalier 5 speed work? Im really desperate and need a trans fast!

Comment

Working...
                              X