No announcement yet.

5 speed swap for a v6 alero?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As long as it is a 2.2l engine, then yes. You will also need the flywheel from that car (and maybe starter, I haven't worked that detail yet)

Comment

Hey

new to the forum but i also am trying to find a way to do a 5speed swap, but i am trying to get one into a 1994-1996 grand prix SE 3.1MFI
      i currently own 2 of these cars and really am tired of 4t60e trash transmisions
      anyone who has done the swap into a w body like this please PM me or let me know what i need to do it. thx

Comment

Brand new 5 speed on ebay

here is a 3.94 ratio 5 speed on ebay from the guy at engineered performance. he will throw in the LSD for 500 and install it for 150. i've got one on the way myself. he has like six of them.

94 Z26 3400 5-speed, EP LSD, S&S headers, all poly, Eibach/KYB, 17x7 alloys, 215/45 Nitto NeoGen, BMW angel eye projector headlights, gauges, pedals, handles, knobs, yada, yada, yada

http://members.cardomain.com/mikedamageinc

Comment

I just bought one of those Getrag's 282 from engineer performance, He's building the diff, installing it, and getting me a bellhousing to fit up to my 3.4 in my acheiva. The trans has a close ratio box, and 3.96 gears, that should reallly cut off some time in the quarter.
          so will the axels from a 2002 alero stick, fit in the getrag and my stock 95 achieva spindles?
          What do I look for as a clutch? was there a 3.1/3.4 that had a getrag 282 behind it? will the firenza aluminum flywheel work well too? I'd like a 6 puck disk unsprung if its possible. Now what trans mounts do I get?
          Last edited by 95SleeperAcheiva; 04-08-2007, 12:40 AM.
          sigpicHow to make High performance Emissions:
          A "true" High flow converter, straight pipe.
          Low/No flow EGR valve, block off plate.
          Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
          PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Comment

the getrag 282 was the tranny behind the 2.8/3.1 gen 2 motors 87-94. axles from a 2.4l alero 5 speed should work.

as for clutch, is this a race only vehicle??? i honestly wouldnt go with a puck clutch, they dont last very long at all and are extremly grabby. couple that with an unsprung hub, wich causes a lot of chatter, you would be unable to let the clutch out without chirping the tires, let alone drive in traffic.

i do recomend bully clutches. i have a stage 2 in my car, its a full face iron disk with a sprung hub. its rated for around 350ft/lb, so its good for anything n/a and even a low boost setup. its got a nice feel to the edal, is grabby but not to grabby and doesnt chatter. it has held up to a few 5000rpm+ launches on drag radials without issues, as well as 50k km street driving.

Comment

Didn't the 06 GA come out with a manual tranny? I think they did. I think this was the only year they came out with the manual for a 3400 engine. I asked Pontiac if I was able to swap a auto tranny on my 00 3400 gt with a manual 05 3400 gt's tranny and they said they dont know lol. Maybe someone here does.
              Last edited by mac00gt; 04-13-2007, 03:34 PM.

Comment

HMm, there isn't a 06 Grand am, you mean the pontiac G6 they came with the manual option but they dont have the 3400 engine they have 3600 I think but the the tranny should fit.
                they come with a 6 speed manual gearbox.

Comment

http://60degreev6.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78 <-- 6-spd found in G6
                  -Brad-
                  89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                  sigpic
                  Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

sorry i meant 05 GA but now that I am looking again I cant find anything on a 99+ 3400 with a manual. Sorry now my post is useless. I must have gotten some bad info. Wonder why Pontiac didn't correct me

Comment

Originally posted by mac00gt View Post
                      sorry i meant 05 GA but now that I am looking again I cant find anything on a 99+ 3400 with a manual. Sorry now my post is useless. I must have gotten some bad info. Wonder why Pontiac didn't correct me
                      You won't find a 3400 Nbody with a manual tranny. Only the 2.4L quad 4 and the 2.2 ecotec.
                      2000 Grand Am GT
                      2011 Chevy Impala

"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter

Comment

the gen 2 3.1l in the j-body way back in 94 was the last fwd v6 to get a manual tranny. the g6 3900 got a 6 speed in 05-06, and aparently they killed the manual tranny option in 07.

Comment

GMpowertrain.com and Pontiac.com both show that the F40/6 is still available.

The F40/6 is still used in the 3900 G6 and alot of Sabb applications.
                          2000 Grand Am GT
                          2011 Chevy Impala

"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter

Comment

do you have to use the clutch pedal and cables etc from a manual ga or alero or can you use the ones from lets say an 02 sunfire (non ecotec)

Comment

Nops It won't fit , U need to get one from a alero or grand am.
                              I tried that already lol, found that I needed to buy the orig alero/grand am parts

Comment

They did not make a 5-speed 99+ alero or ga read b4 posting. Wow!

Comment

Working...
                                X