W Body Cradle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W Body Cradle

I have a 1991 Z34 Lumina. I noticed that the cradle in the front is made of some kind of steal or something. I am not to sure of the weight. I was roamming around the junkyeard the otheday and noticed that the junkyard was taking a motor out of I belive a 2000 Chevy Impala. I am guessing that the Impala is a W body as well?????? I noticed that it had a Aluminu cradle. SO After they got the cradle all apart. I was able to pick up that Aluminu one with one hand. Do you think this is any lighter then the one that is in the Z34s??? Every thing looked like it would line up and work. And would this even be worth trying to do??? I am just asking because the junkyard said I could have it if I wanted it. Lets hear some Imput on this. Thanks

I'm 99% sure that cradle is diffrent than the one in your 91 and wont work.

there was a post on this a while back on the W body forums, it only fits the newer cars with a revised subframe. 98+ i beleive.
    Mr_Efficiency

90 Grand prix - Lawn ornament
    Black, 3.1, 5 speed
    Future holds: Striped and then scrap yard

97 Cavalier - Stock car
    Red/Black, 2.2 OHV, 5 speed, fully tubed bumper to bumper, 6 point cage with halo, fuel cell, race seat, 5 pt harness.... a race car
    Future holds: Just more trophies

New project on the way: 88 S10 reg cab, short box, 5 speed.
    Future holds: Built 2.8 hybrid, Stealthy flat black, a drop until i have no more ugly wheel gap

Comment

You can buy aftermarket aluminum cradles from GM, but at a staggering cost of about $2000 each... I thought about when I needed one, but didnt get it.
      sigpic
      1994 Oldsmobile Cultass Supreme SL
      3400/Getrag 284 5spd
      1995 Chevy K1500 350c.i. 5spd Z71
      350/NV3500 5spd
      2014 Chevrolet Malibu LS

Comment

wow, $2000! you could pick up an entire car for that, lol
        Mr_Efficiency

Black, 3.1, 5 speed

97 Cavalier - Stock car
        Red/Black, 2.2 OHV, 5 speed, fully tubed bumper to bumper, 6 point cage with halo, fuel cell, race seat, 5 pt harness.... a race car

Future holds: Built 2.8 hybrid, Stealthy flat black, a drop until i have no more ugly wheel gap

Comment

I was also wondering about the rear supention. I noticed in the Impala that it did not Have that silly mono leaf. Like the Z34 has. I was wondering what other cars you could take the whole rear supention set up out of and put under the rear of the Z34???

Comment

You can use the tubular arms from the newer cars but thats it.

Unless you get ambitious and cut the rear fender wells out and weld in the fender wells from a newer car to accept the strut mounts. cause the newer cars have struts and yours has a strut, the upper mounts are totally diffrent.
            Mr_Efficiency

Black, 3.1, 5 speed

97 Cavalier - Stock car

Comment

Cool good to know. I was kind of looking around at some ways to get rid of that stupid mono leaf in the back I realy dont care for it to much.

Comment

Working...
              X