3.1 V6 Chevette Swap Transmission Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.1 V6 Chevette Swap Transmission Help

OK I’m going to do a V6 swap on my Son’s 86 Chevette. GM did it back in 1982 with the 2.8L and the 700R4 Transmission. I still can’t figure out why GM only built one, but the 60° V6 engines fit into the Chevette very well, not much customizing is needed.

I can get my hands on a 3.1 V6 w/ Auto Trans out of a Camaro for $100.00. The Chevette has the Saginaw 4 Speed which is what I’d like to see if I can stay with. I now the 700R4 transmission will fit with out a lot modification, but I’d rather have a manual, you know more fun to drive.

So does anyone know if GM every put the Saginaw 4 speed with there
    60° V6 Motor (2.8/3.1/3.4)?

Or if there is a motor to tranny adapter for this?

Thanks

i assume that adapter should allow you to bolt up a saginaw since the bellhousing pattern should be the same as a TH350. i would honestly go for a world class T5 or T56 though.

and welcome to the site.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Once you get the 3.1 mounted up, you can then start thinking about the FWD motors to make it really fast then!
      sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
      1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
      16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
      Original L82 Longblock
      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
      Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

I'd just find a T5 from a V6 Camaro and use that.
        Past Builds;
        1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
        1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
        Current Project;
        1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Or and S-10 trans depending on the shifter location that works best in that car. The Truck trans has a shifter about 6" further forward versus the Camaro trans. Plus the Camaro trans is clocked to the drivers side which may or may no be desirable
          1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
          1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
          Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Thanks for the help & Ideas.

Next Question:

This is a 1992 3.1L out of a Camaro and I'm sure it has Multi Port Inj.

How the heck do you go about using the MPI do you need the computer out of the car?

I know I can buy a 4 barrel from Summit, or I can find an older 2 Barrel from a salvage yard or ebay, but the MPI would be cooler.

And also would that year engine have distbuterless ignition?

Airbubba

Comment

the RWD engines all had the distributor until the 3.4 in the 93-95 F-cars.

MPFI would need the ECM, no doubt about it.
              1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
              Latest nAst1 files here!
              Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

What other sensor & things would I need to run the MPI?

Thanks Again.

Comment

On a 92 I'm sure the only sensor you might need is the VSS (speed sensor), the rest should all be on the engine.

Somebody smarter than me (that don't take much) should give a deff answer soon.
                  87 3.4 4x4 blazer
                  3 inch body lift, t-bar/shackle lift, 31x10.5s

Comment

all of the sensors that came on them from the factory(MAP, O2, VSS, IAT, TPS, coolant temp, knock sensor, crank sensor)

that covers all of the required sensors.
                    Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Howell EFI in Michigan will take any GM computer controlled engine harness and cut it down, reloom. label it for simple hookup for around 400 dollars. So get the entire engine harness from the V6(including all wires running through the firewall to the pcm and also give them the engine harness from your Chevette and they'll get it really close to a plug and play setup with just a few wires for you to run( fuel pump, ignition on, constant 12v, fan,) I had them do it about 5 years ago so the price I'm sure will be a little more actually but believe me it was money well spent. I did an EFI conversion by myself once, forget that.

Comment

Working...
                      X