2.8 to 3.4 swap, need input

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.8 to 3.4 swap, need input

OK, though many may have answered these questions before, I'm having a tough time finding all my answers. First, I want to know, if a 1995 3.4 from a Camaro, is a direct drop in place of a 2.8 in a s10 blazer. if not what has to be switched, do all the accessories swap over, exhaust manifold? My truck has a serpentine belt, and I plan on retaining the TBI system on the conversion. so tell me, is there anything that I need to know, from anyone, especially if you have done the swap before. Thanks for your time..

Direct swap, in process of it on a 1987 blazer right now.

Write up by Betterthanyou
    87 3.4 4x4 blazer
    3 inch body lift, t-bar/shackle lift, 31x10.5s

Comment

I have a Camaro 3.4L in my '82 S10.

The manifolds for the 3.4L were left in place because they are ALMOST identical to the 2.8L 2 WD units. The 4WD manifolds are totally different. I still had to have a different Y pipe built for those which would have made a set of headers fairly inexpensive at that point. ------I left the standard 3.4L manifolds on it because I wanted the o2 sensors in the stock position for that engine. This is because my S10 uses the 3.4L complete with SFI, factory computer, wiring harness and everything. The truck gets about 4mpg on average better than it did with carb AND has incredible power compared to the 2.8L!!!

You will need the S10 flywheel and motor mounts to fit it but otherwise, thats pretty much it. The wiring is the only item that takes time but worth it when your finished. I don't think it would have been worth my time had I left the carb on it!

-BMC.
      MG & MGB V6 + V8 Engine Conversion Shop

1982 Chevrolet S10 long box with another L32 SFI!
      1980 MGB with Camaro L32 3.4L SFI V6
      2000 Venture 3400 (for her)
      Spitfire L32 3.4L
      "Experimentals"
      and more conversions all the time.

Comment

Hi there!

The 3.4 long block is a drop-in. All of your accessories, intake, exhaust, etc. will fit.

The 3.4 is an internally balanced engine, and older 2.8s were externally balanced. You will need to make sure your flexplate(flywheel) and harmonic balancer are for an internally balanced 2.8. I think '87 was a transitional year so I'm not sure if yours is internally balanced or not. Worst case is you get a flywheel/flexplate and balancer for an '88 or newer 2.8V6 S-10.
        1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
        2006 Pontiac Solstice

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong,since the balancing was done with the flywheel, the harmonic balancers would interchange?

Comment

Hi there!

Yes, you can re-use your balancer.
            1982 Chevrolet S-10 Sport, 2.8V6 TBI
            2006 Pontiac Solstice

Comment

Hey everyone,
              Sorry to revive an old thread but this is right along my question.
              I'm going to be swapping my 3.4 (from my Maui blue 88 that's gettting LS1'd) into an 82 FB but I want to keep the original carb/intake, mechanical fuel pump, and the v-belt accessories. I know it's not the ideal swap but I'm only doing this so I can sell the engine/trans that's on my shop floor and the FB that's in my driveway with a hammer in the crankcase.
              Quick and easy,...
              So my question is, the externally and internally balanced differences are in the flex plate not the balancer? Meaning I can replace the serp balancer on the 3.4 now with the v-belt balancer off the 2.8 with no problems? If that's the case, great but sounds too simple. Everything from the heads down and back are staying intact with the trans so the flexplate will stay 95 original.
              Also I haven't confirmed if there are provisions for a mechanical fuel pump on the 3.4, any experience.
              Thanks a lot, glad to be back at the 60degree home
              Art

Comment

There is no provision for mechanical fuel pump on the 93-95 F-body 3.4L.
                sigpic
                "It's your car. Do with it what you wish, but as you enter this unknown world you will need to invent the wheel all over again. For the adventurous and those that are backyard mechanics who have nothing but time you might like this. Most have plenty of frustrating moments and the process usually takes significantly longer then what anyone could imagine. The end result of this conversion is completely up to you." - Jon McCullough of BMCautos.com

Comment

Originally posted by TechRod View Post
                  There is no provision for mechanical fuel pump on the 93-95 F-body 3.4L.
                  Damn, I kinda figured so but was hoping. I guess I don't need much for an electric pump to feed a carb'd engine.
                  Last edited by NArtissimus; 02-05-2012, 03:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X