60* engine differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60* engine differences

I'm looking at the possibility of a 3500 swap... I have a question regarding the cam sensor...

Do you guys know if its 1,2 or 4x and if it has changed over the years?

Would it be like the lsx series engines?

I ask because I found a 58x to 24x converter box for around $250. but dont know if the cam signal would be compatible. Its for lsx engines but would work great for a 3x00 swap if it would work...

Thanks in advance!

Cam sensor will work, all 3100/3400 and the 3500 LX9 are compatible with any cam/sensor/PCM. (they did change but the waveform all comes out the same) You might have to splice on your old connector, or swap in your old cam sensor to plug in though.

For the 24x sensor, you just bolt one up to the timing cover, there are holes for it, and run a 3100/3400 harmonic dampener. You can swap a 3100/3400 timing cover over too if you wanted to.

Then you need the 7x external crank trigger setup that WOTTECH.com sells..
    sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
    1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
    16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
    Original L82 Longblock
    with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
    Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

There have been several differences in the cam trigger from 94 to present, but they all operate the same, by sensing the leading edge of the trigger. I'm not sure on the similarities between the LSx engines as I don't know how their trigger is set up.
      -Brad-
      89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
      sigpic
      Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

This is what I found and I was wanting to know if it would just wire in or not. I also sent them an e-mail asking if it would run on just the crank signal.

Do these engines use a 24x sensor or a 7x crank sensor? (I'm asking about 1996 and up sfi engines)

(edit)
        Please educate me in what these engines have and require for the cam and crank sensors...

Lingenfelter Performance Engineering was founded in 1973 and is a globally recognized brand in the performance engineering industry offering engine building, engine and chassis tuning components and installation for vehicle owners; component product development; services to manufacturers, aftermarket, and original equipment suppliers; prototype and preparation of product development vehicles.

Comment

The 3500 uses a 54 or 56x crank signal. The 24x signal (front of the crank) is just for high resolution, low RPM use. Best bet, as Isaac mentioned above, is to get the 3x (7x) crank trigger from http://www.wot-tech.com.
          -Brad-
          89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
          sigpic
          Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

96 will use a
            cam sensor (not an issue with a 3500 swap)
            24x crank sensor located on timing cover and reads the tone ring in the harmonic dampener.
            7x crank sensor located in the block that reads the tone ring from the crank.

3500 lacks the 24x sensor (but you can bolt one on) and has 54x setup on the crank, which is actually several "triggers" in one sort of.
            sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
            1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
            16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
            Original L82 Longblock
            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
            Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Working...
            X