95 Grand Prix Motor on its dying day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 Grand Prix Motor on its dying day

Alright i did some searching and haven`t been able to find anything decent. but i`m just curious since my motor is about to kick the bucket. I have a 95 grand prix se with the stock 3100 and im looking for something that would be just as reliable and i was thinking about the 3.4 dohc that came in the grand prix. Would that be just as reliable and how difficult would it be to do? Or would i just be better off getting a 3800 and what would be needed for that swap?

I just wanna know which one will be easier/more affordable? and which one would be more driveable and i guess going a little faster wouldn`t hurt either.

Is it true that the 3.4 is kind of a pain to maintain?

if ANYONE on this forum EVER tells you to swap to a 3800, its a joke...

as far as getting it(3.4DOHC, 3.1, 3400) running: you could pretty much follow my swap guide for making 94-95 3100s OBD1. that would fix the electrical part of your problems...

i'd just swap to a large port 3100 or 3400.

really simple at this point in time.
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by bennythe2nd View Post
      Is it true that the 3.4 is kind of a pain to maintain?
      If you mean the 3400 (pushrod), then the worst part is the intake gaskets, which Felpro took care of with the metal lower intake gaskets.

If you mean 3.4 DOHC, then the worst part over a pushrod is changing a belt every 60k miles. The only downfall to a DOHC I see (besides it's physical size) is it doesn't have much of an aftermarket for it as far as cams, headers, ect. goes.
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
        (besides it's physical size)
        and weight... those cam carriers are a bitch...
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

and the oil pump drive seal. i would stay away from the 3.4 DOHC unless you really LOVE to work on cars. its a pretty high maintenance motor. that, and if you take it to a mechanic they tell you to tow it somewhere else. lol no one else likes working on them either. from what i hear theyre a combination of GM and Lotus technology -though i could be wrong there.

My Cardomain Page | My Random Online Gallery<- (Now Fixed)

Comment

yeah i was talking the dohc. but i dont think im gonna go that route

and when you say large port 3100 or 3400 are you talking the ones in the newer gm's like 96-99?

Comment

i do love working on cars haha but this is my winter car so i just want it to be as reliable as possible and as low maintenance as i can get
              Last edited by bennythe2nd; 09-27-2009, 09:50 PM.

Comment

large port meaning 2000-up 3100/3400.
                Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

ill guarantee you one thing, next time i need a new motor (even in a Z34) im not going with the LQ1. lol its got WAAAAY too many headaches to put up with its fun power range. -in my opinion, right? maybe i have a shitty one. lol i dunno. i honestly would just get a motor out of a minivan, for the power output (and they were designed to push the van with what, 8 people?) and whatever cargo... so put that into a (seemingly) lighter car. (if im wrong let me know) im sure its going to make it go faster than anything that comes out of a car in your era, plus... who wants minivan motors?? thats the best point ive heard yet. with the demand, you should be able to pick one up for the price of a bag of chips.

Comment

for the 3100/3400 would that be a plug and play kinda thing? or what would i need?

and sofaking that sounds like the honda philosophy and its worked out pretty good in my past haha

also are there any websites that sell these motors or is a junkyard my only good bet at finding one?
                    Last edited by bennythe2nd; 09-28-2009, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Shop for clean used vehicle auctions, salvage auto auctions, damaged and rebuildable vehicles for sale, with over 110000 USA vehicles on sale daily. See live auction specials now!

buy a whole car for cheap.... lol you can get an 87 buick grand national for $400... just try find it though, its a pile. lol literally, lol its a pile of chopped up parts and no motor.

Comment

www.3x00swap.com for a guide to install a 3400 into an older 3x00 vehicle.

www.car-part.com for a site to search for engines.
                        -Brad-
                        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                        sigpic
                        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

say no to the 3.4 x motor way to many problems and part avalibility sucks go push rod 3.4 its reliable and easy!

Comment

i couldnt find the grand national but i would kill to have one of those someday, but i found a bad ass 70 buick skylark. and thanks for the links bszopi.

and i think im gonna do the pushrod 3.4 because of that reason, ive got a kid on the way and just need a car ik will start everyday, i have other piles haha

Comment

lol the GN was literally a pile of parts and chopped up body pannels. lol pushrod 3.4 is a 3400. and parts arent that bad on them, i wouldnt listen to a one post mo fo who only has the one thing to say with no base for his opinion. parts? i go to crappy tire for a starter or alternator... there are different models that work too for the LQ1 it really isnt THAT horrible. its just more of a job than usual to do normal things, like to change the rear spark plugs you either notch the fire wall, or take off the UIM. i suppose you could rotate the engine too. i dunno. the alternator isnt an easy job, the starter took me just under an hour to swap out. and i hear the timing belt can be a good 6 hour job or better.

i wouldnt be so scared of the 3.4 as apposed to the 3400; but i think the 3400 has a better power range, and THAT should be the base of your desicion. not some asshole saying you cant get parts for a motor you can readily find in ANY junk yard. theres 5 or 6 in the one by my house. complete. but only 3 3400s (in cars) so you tell me what is harder to find cheap parts for. fer me anywho.

Comment

Working...
                              X