Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Block modifications

ok i am search retarded so if this has been asked befor just put up a link

to put a FWD block in a RWD car (in this case a 81-87 G-Body) what has to be done and how. i am aware of the starter issue how would i get a round this? is there a write up on how to change it.

also the oil pan i was reading would be a problem. i think it will still be one with a G-body as well (the frame brace under the engine).

so any imput or advice would be sweet. my original idea was a 3.4 but i have been finding good deals on 3400s with lower miles

thanks
    92 LeBaron Convert: Does it run yet? 03 Silverado 2500HD ecsb 4x4 6.0L: dual 3" in/out race "muffler" 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0: DD from california

-Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Brad, that's to move the starter on a 3.4 (or RWD 660) to put in a Fiero. The FWD blocks don't have the proper amount of material to relocate the starter.

If you have access to a TIG welder, you can try modifying the pan to have a bigger frame notch in it, and you can clearance the bell housing to keep the atrter in it's original location. Not sure on the g-body, but the f-body also requires the oil filter location to be moved since in the RWD configuration it will interfere with the starter, might not have that problem on the g.

Best bet would to get the engine and transmission and drop them into place and see what needs to be moved around. Worst case scenario, you can use all the rotating assy and top end on a 3.4 block.
      Links:
      WOT-Tech.com
      FaceBook
      Instagram

Comment

Its just the newer FWD blocks that don't have enough meat. It can be done on the older FWD blocks. Although he did mention 3400s, so...
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
        sigpic
        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

thanks guys the link at least gave me an idea

i did think of the trans bell housing modification. i remeber in the 80's GM had the dual bolt pattern bell housings for both B-O-P and chevy. and both sides of the trans had a notch for the starter.

never thoght of the oil filter though i gues if i have to just get a universal relocation kit and mount it some where else

can a RWD oil pan fit on a FWD block? i gues i could always buy a tig i am takig welding next semester at school
          92 LeBaron Convert: Does it run yet? 03 Silverado 2500HD ecsb 4x4 6.0L: dual 3" in/out race "muffler" 2005 Ford Taurus SE 3.0: DD from california

Comment

A RWD pan will only fit gen I and II blocks. It wont fit 3400 blocks because of the cross bolt main system and different bolt pattern. However modifying an aluminum pan is easy. You could even use MIG to weld the pan it does not have to be TIG. If your just starting to weld then I don't think you will learn TIG for a while. First you have to learn Gas welding, Stick, MIG and then TIG
            1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
            1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
            Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

ah ok. the build probably will not happen for a year though want to get every thing figured out first so i know what to expect with minimul surprises

i still need to sell the GPGT and buy the car

Comment

went to the local yard today to start hunting engines and well there pricing was comical

i saw a 3400 with 120k from a 2000 GA for $450

a 3500 with 70k from a 05 Malibu for $450

and a 3.4 DOHC with 10k from a T-boned 97 MC for you guessed it $450

LMFAO it's like they didn't even try to price them and just gave them all the same price. if the cammer had a better after market i would probably get that. i bet that engine would be great in a RWD aplication but that lack of cams besides regrinds kind of kills it for me

so far it looks like i might do a 3500 swap

Comment

3500 is the way to go.

You will need the external DIS trigger and a fuel rail for a 3400, and some kind of TB since the 3500 is drive by wire.
                  Links:
                  WOT-Tech.com
                  FaceBook
                  Instagram

Comment

215-ish HP right out of the box and i can alsways get that ported later on with higher comp pistons or leave the compretion the way it is and boost it later on

the one part i am having a hard time figuring out is the acc belt routing i know i can not use the FWD pulleys can i use ones from a RWD engine? or am i just going to have to make custom brackets? the car will not have a/c so thats not a big deal and i could always put in a manual box so all i need to do is spin the alt and water pump

i thought the fuel sytem was going to be hard but i figure i an use a tank from a TBI 4.3 (for the baffles) and then a sender/ pump from a TPI F-body figure it should give enough fuel for the weesix

Comment

Whenever I get around to doing a 3500 swap in my car, I will use the RWD stuff from the front and behind the long block itself.
                      Links:
                      WOT-Tech.com
                      FaceBook
                      Instagram

Comment

so the mounting holes are the same then? cool

this is starting to sound to easy lol

Comment

Originally posted by 01GPGT View Post
                          so the mounting holes are the same then? cool

this is starting to sound to easy lol
                          NOT motor mount though
                          Links:
                          WOT-Tech.com
                          FaceBook
                          Instagram

Comment

even if they where i would have to make custom engine mounts. the G-bodies never got a 660 stock as far as i know all where 90* v6s of some kind and then the v8s and the diesle olds 350

Comment

Originally posted by 01GPGT View Post
                              even if they where i would have to make custom engine mounts. the G-bodies never got a 660 stock as far as i know all where 90* v6s of some kind and then the v8s and the diesle olds 350
                              all of that: correct

but mounts shouldn't be too hard if you're learning to weld...
                              1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                              Latest nAst1 files here!
                              Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                              X