Wiring Harness 3.5l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Harness 3.5l

I'm trying to validate some info I have for a wiring harness I'm hunting down. I have the 3.5l from a 2004 Malibu and I keep getting asked if the harness is new style or old style but no one has been able to give me a good description of the difference between the two.

Unfortunately the harness from the donor car is history as we didn't grab it at the same time as the engine

Can anyone tell me what the real one is? Is there anyway or do I have to try and hunt down the donor car, if it's still around, and get the VIN?

Thanks

PS the car is coming along although with everything going on it's slowed down a bit.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    in build, Stage 1
    1976 MGB - 3.5l (2004 Malibu), GM V8 T5, 3.9 gear
    FAST ecm

I have a complete harness from a 2004 Malibu with a 3500.. It's deffenetly not the same as a 3400 harness if that's what they are asking.. several extra connectors for the dual knock sensors and dual 02's.. also some other junk. It's hanging on my wall, let me know if you need pictures.. The only thing missing from it is 1 connector for a o2 sensor that I cut off today..

I wouldn't use the OBD2 harness or computer.. a harness from a 91-94 Cavalier 3.1 V6 5 speed with the 1227730 ECM would work very well. That's exactly what i'm using on my 3500 and with some tuning it runs very well.
    Past Builds;
    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
    Current Project;
    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

You will need the external crank sensor though to use the cavy ecm
      sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
      1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
      16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
      Original L82 Longblock
      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
      Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

computer not needed, using aftermarket

I'm using a FAST system so all I'm after is knowing what cable so I can get the right connectors for all of the sensors. I _think_ I'm after the 'old' style meaning the older version of 3.5L; meaning from the 2.x/3.x upsized not the 3.9l downsized.

Based on Superdaves comments I can't substitute a 3.4 harness, but I wasn't trying. The comments from the recyclers is always the vague new or old style. As I mention above I can only think they mean the difference between how GM got to 3.5l in the V6. Although someone confirming this would be handy. Else I'm going to guess because Brian keeps asking when the harness will be available so he can finish wiring the 'B'.
        in build, Stage 1
        FAST ecm

Comment

well, the Malibu never had the VVT 3500 from 04-06 atleast..so i figured that's out.

Common questions at yards when you say "2004 Malibu" are usually about if it's the new body style or old. Only the new body style got the 3500.

will your FAST controller run on the 58x crankshaft trigger? If not then you'll have to pick up one of the 7x ones from the WOT store.. Also, are you planning on using the electronic throttle body?
          Past Builds;
          1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
          1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
          Current Project;
          1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

In 04 GM had two malibu's

1. The newer style

2. The Malibu Classic (old body style)
            I believe they were all 2.2L ecotec's, but don't quote me on that.

While we are on the subject of the the 04 3500, I have a a .bin from a 04 malibu that I was able to open. If you are interested, post up what tables you might be interested in and I will see if I can't get them posted up.
            2000 Grand Am GT
            2011 Chevy Impala

"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter

Comment

3.5MGB, I assume you are referring to Brian at BMC and are using the billet front cover from KillerB. I see two problems that you have. What type of throttle body are you using? The stock 3500 TB is drive-by-wire and probably not supported by the FAST unit.

The other problem is, I don't think the FAST controller will work with the LX9 ignition system. The LX9 crank trigger isn't an evenly spaced configuration but sends more of a binary type signal so the ECM knows which cylinder is up and which coil to fire. Below is an idea of what the LX crank signal output looks like. The easiest route is to use the ICM, Coils, Crank Sensor from an earlier engine with an external 7X trigger wheel. Doing this will require an injector harness for the 3500 injectors, the ignition harness for the older engine and the appropriate connectors for whichever sensors (MAP, IAC, TPS, IAT, Coolant Temp, Knock, Etc) that you are using.

Once you know which sensors, TB & ignition that you will be using, I am sure that you can find the harnesses/connectors you need by placing a "Wanted to buy" post in the Buy/Sell/Trade section or a trip to the salvage yard.
              Attached Files
              MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
              '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
              http://www.tcemotorsports.com
              http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

Yes Brian at BMC has the car right now, there are some in flight pix on his site. We are using the stock coils and sensors and a mechanical throttle body from a 4.5l Mustang ~68mm. I also have a 75 but I'm saving that for the FI system.

The local salvage yard doesn't have the harness, actually they seem to be hard to locate or at least they are not listed in the car parts search very often. Hence the reason for this thread

So it looks like what I'm after is the new style harness. Hmmm you got me thinking about the injector harness so I went searching for that and found a reference to the 4th VIN character being a Z. Then going back to another search I find a similar reference to new style body and the 3.5l and the Z code again.

So with the hints here it looks like the 3.5l is a new style and the 4th character in the VIN is a Z (Zee not two).

I do not believe there will be any issue with using the stock trigger as it shows up in their wiring diagram (or at least the one I have). If it is then I can add another trigger but I don't think that will be required.
                in build, Stage 1
                FAST ecm

Comment

It would be great if you can use the stock ignition/trigger setup. After downloading the FAST manual, it looks like a pretty powerful unit that should work with the ignition coils but have been unable to figure out whether it will support the LX9 trigger wheel. Please be sure to post on how it works out.

If you don't find an injector harness, let me know and I may be able to point you towards one.
                  MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
                  '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
                  http://www.tcemotorsports.com
                  http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

This just in:

If you are using our XFI/XIM system, it is completely compatible with the factory Crank, Cam sensors and coils.
                    David Page
                    FAST

Confirms what I understood from everything I was aware of.
                    in build, Stage 1
                    FAST ecm

Comment

Working...
                    X