3400 Fiero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3400 Fiero

So I have the swap on the way so i figured i would start a build thread.

Just some starter pictures.

I now have the 2.8 off the craddle and am getting ready to clean up the trans and cradle. Waiting on parts right now, so just getting everything preped.

I was hoping someone could help me out here. With the 3400, is it as simple separating the trans from the engine as it is on the 2.8. I have all the bell housing bolts out and the dust shield off the starter. does anything else need to be done to separate the two? I just dont want to damage anything and i have never worked with a transverse auto before. I dont see any access to get at the tq converter to unbolt it from the flywheel, So i imagine i will have to make a mess pulling this apart.

Comment

LOL, the wife is gonna be pissed when she finds out you stole her engine out of her grand am!! j/k Or is that a rental that's getting a fresh new 2.8 swapped in before it's returned? LOL

No idea on the separation, but make sure you got all bolts out, there are a few hard to get to ones (well if it's still in the car LOL)
      sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
      1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
      16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
      Original L82 Longblock
      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
      Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

I have all the bolts out for sure. I just dont want to try and separate it before i know thats everything. Cause on the longitude mount transmission i have pulled out i have unbolted the tq converter from the flywheel and it prevents a big mess. But I dont see any kind of access on this trans.

This is the 3rd Trans in the GA and it blew again, so I have given up on spending money on the GA. Thats why im pulling the engine for the Fiero. The wife is sad to see the GA go though. lol, but what can you do.

Comment

I think you gotta unbolt them, but I don't know for sure. Never did one myself.

The trans in the GA, were they rebuilt by a shop or junkyard replacements?
          Original L82 Longblock
          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

A shop, The first shop gave me my money back cause he had to rebuild it 3 times in under 10,000km and the trans that is in there now blew the pan gasket cause the pan was dented. Stupid shitty roads.

Comment

Sounds like they did not know what they were doing. That's why when mine goes I will rebuild it myself.
              Original L82 Longblock
              with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts

Comment

Yes, you have to unbolt the TC from the flywheel. You should be able to access the bolts from the starter dust shield area. On my car (94 Beretta w/3400 and 4T60E), there are like 2 or 3 dust shields total, and all have to be removed in order to get to the TC bolts.
                -Brad-
                89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                sigpic
                Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

be patient tho, i did this recently on a blazer....little movement available and it took longer than i thought it should. put the 3400 and trans back on the lift and get it up in the air and work on it...ur going to have to get under it.
                  3500, 1280 cam and PR, ls6 valve springs, port and polished heads, ported lim, ported uim, 4.3 70mm tb, ported trueleo headers and y pipe ALL FOR SALE (minus the car)
                  96 LT4 6spd corvette. 355, AI 215cc LT4 Comp CNC Heads, Prope SRS pistons, Ported intake, ARH long tubes, Corsa Indy Pace 4:10 gears
                  2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo 6spd
                  1970 M35A2 Deuce and a Half, Spin on filters, Turned up IP, HIDs, Flat Black, 11.00x20 singles.

Comment

Got the tranny unbolted from the 3400, it actually wasnt as bad as i thought it would be. I believe my clutch and flywheel came in today via ups, but i wasnt home. So i will have to wait till tomorow to find out.

Aslo built a lower engine mount using the stock 2.8 mount with a little cutting as seen below. Now comes the wiring.

I ordered new poly mounts for the cradle but i am not to sure on how to change them out, any advice?

Comment

You gonna need those fiero valve covers?
                      '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
                      '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
                      '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
                      '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonero View Post
                        You gonna need those fiero valve covers?
                        No I dont think I have any use for them.

Clutch and flywheel came in today. Just a couple update pictures.

Comment

Nice!

So (random question) do you fiero guys have problems with axle breakage like us FWD guys? I've seen some fieros pulling wheelies in videos.. that's why i ask. lol
                          Past Builds;
                          1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                          1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                          Current Project;
                          1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Originally posted by Superdave View Post
                            Nice!

So (random question) do you fiero guys have problems with axle breakage like us FWD guys? I've seen some fieros pulling wheelies in videos.. that's why i ask. lol
                            I have heard of some guys getting custom axles made up instead of using cv axles. Which makes sence since there is no need for the cv axle in the rear.

But also from what I am told, the original axles on the Fiero are pretty strong.

Comment

A lot of us Fiero guys get lucky. Usually if we break an axle, we also wipe out the trans case from the diff side-loading. I just did the same swap as you a few months back. Turned out great. I don't know if you are planning on it, but you can use the fiero timing cover and accessory mounting Looks like a stock motor except for the valve covers and intakes. I turned the fuel rail around to mate to the factory lines, (had to bend a bit). Then just fab up a custom dogbone. I used part of the factory one, and some 1/4 plate steel bolted to the side of the head. Worked great! I'll try to get some pics up
                              1988 Fiero Formula - 3400sfi with an intercooled 60trim, Haltech, water/meth
                              1990 Mitsu Eclipse GSX - parted out
                              1991 Galant VR4 #108/2000 - Slammed sedan, built everything
                              1995 Kawi Ninja zx7r
                              1992 S10 4x4 - lowered/bagged, the dd
                              2004 450R MX quad

Comment

Working...
                              X