I need tuning help BAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need tuning help BAD

I am a new to the tuning stuff and I can't figure this out. I have a 89 cavalier z24 I put a 3400 in with 24lbs injectors. I need to tune for the injectors and would like to advance the timing among other things. I have a g3 adapter fo my ecm. An apu1 and tuner pro. I have been trying to figure this stuff out but I need a step by step of what to do. I feel stupid. Does the g3 go in the ecm with the original memcal on the side or is that for downloading the factory settings? Can I pull codes with the tuner pro? Also I can't get it to data log
    Brent

What code mask are you using? The mem cal will attach to the adaptor and go inside the ecm as an assembly, your eeprom will serve in place of the stock chip in the calpak which provides the spark control logic.

To datalog depending on what code you have, (A1 for example), with the back side of the APU1 with switches facing you, move both switches to the left. Open tunerproRT and load the appropriate XDF, ADX and bin file. With the APU1 plugged into the computer, goto tools and initialize the attached hardware. With the ALDL cable connected turn the ignition key to on and connect to the ecm.

If that doesn't work, goto tools and release the attached hardware, move the outboard switch of the APU1 to the right and try connecting again. This should work as some code masks like 8F for the Turbo Grand Prix can not datalog and emulate at the same time requiring this approach, switch inboard for emulating and outboard for datalogging. A1 works with both switches to the left as it can emulate and log simultaneously.

Once connected you'll be able to see any codes that are set on the list view of the data viewing options.

Comment

I think I should use the A1 because it is just naturally aspirated. What adx shhould I use and how do I put it in tuner pro. I figured out the xdf and bin I think. Where should I change for running the 24lbs injectors. I have been reading a bunck on this stuff and my head hurts. I want to learn on this cavalier, then later on I am putting a 3500 with turbo in my 85 cutlass supreme with 7730 ecm. Anyways I really appreciate the help.
      Brent

Comment

you should check out the last page or so at least of my nAst1 thread, that would cover the BIN, ADX and XDF you would need.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

I think I am getting this figured out a little better. So I just load the BIN xdf and ads files. Then after I change stuff I just save the BIN and write it to the chip. What do I change for the larger injectors? Also how do I disable the egr?
          Thanks
          Brent

Comment

to adjust for larger injectors you need to lower the base pulse constant. Since you are disabling the EGR you only need to adjust the 0% value in the "Base pulse constant Vs. Desired % EGR" table. I usually use 150 for 22.5lb/hr injectors, that should work fine for yours as well.

You will have to re-tune the idle VE table, main VE table and Adder table, also the AE tables and the cranking fuel tables to get everything dialed in right. I see lots of datalogging in your future.

Once you set your BPC, stick with it. The only reason to change it (other than larger injectors) is if you run out of VE table (Adder + Main can be no larger than 99) or you bottom out the idle VE table.

to disable the EGR, find "EGR Enable Min Coolant temp" and max it out, then find "EGR Disable MAP Threshold" and max it out as well.
            Past Builds;
            1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
            1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
            Current Project;
            1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

After you select a value for your base pulse constant it's probably a good idea to work with the idle fuel table in an effort to establish a steady idle. Considering this is pretty new to you, keep good record of the starting point so you can switch back if necessary, then adjust one table at a time using light throttle driving to assess the results until things come into order. Make sure you have an air fuel ratio gauge of some sort to give you a heads up with fueling trends.

Comment

^ Agreed

You will have to un-check "Idle BPW as a function of airflow" in the flags option to tune the idle VE table. If not you'll be killing spark plugs in no time.
                Past Builds;
                1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                Current Project;
                1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

factory alpha-n FTL.

be sure to minimize/maximize the values used for getting into it as well(should be refered to as "idle fuel"), otherwise it can get triggered in situations other than just idle, like coastdown....

there is another set of variables that determine using the main/idle VE tables as well, but i can't remember them off-hand other than being above 1600 automatically causes the main table to be in use.

EDITL: just looked it up in my hack: the idle VE table is only used when:

engine speed is under 1600RPM AND mode byte 2, bit 7 is set (7 1 = IDLE CONDITIONS MET (BLM LOGIC))

otherwise, the main VE table is in use.
                  Last edited by robertisaar; 05-17-2011, 02:28 PM.
                  1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                  Latest nAst1 files here!
                  Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help, I will give it a shot this weekend.
                    Brent

Comment

Well I go it runnning and datalogged a little. I changed the pressure plate back for the stock one. Now the clutch releases, but still doesn't feel right. The base fuel constant is at 145 it won't let me go any lower.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Can anyone help me out with this, I really need to get this thing driveable. I don't know what to do next.
                        Brent

Comment

For some reason my computer won't let me get on here. it says page not found, I don't know what the deal is. I have a new problem I got it driveable but now it wants to pop at 3500 rpm. I don't think its the tune. I didn't change anything.also my wide band is reading 15:1 at idle and the datalog says its 500 to 550 mv on the narrow. Do you think the narrow is bad? Also I have an injector making alot of noise, does that mean its bad

Comment

noisy injector isn't necessarily dead or bad, but it could be heading that way.

does the narrbwband never swing outside of 500-550 once it's warmed up?
                            Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

It will go as low as 450 to 550, but the wide band is reading 15 to 15.5

Comment

Working...
                              X