Custom Computer Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Computer Tuning

Hey, I finally got my programmer, and all the adapters, now im trying to program my prom chip in my 93 grand am, with a 3.3L (3300) v6, i put a manual trans in it( getrag 282) and the car is having trouble idling, and also my speedo says im doing 18km/h when im doing 90km/h , now i need a good program to modify the prom chip, but i dont know what to use, and is it really hard, i did some programming back in high school, and am very computer literate, and i have programmed sats for years, but i have never attepmted to do cars, anyways, i need to fix the idle, service engine soon, due to qdm failuer, and no tcc lockup. and the spedo. please help me, i need this fixed asap, the car is stalling at every stop. thanks.

Jake
    GM Goodwrench Tech - GM Certified

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.4L DOHC , 5 Speed Manual Transmission , Turbonetics 62mm turbo, Turbonectics Evolution Wastegate , Turbonetics Raptor BOV , Large Front Mount Intercooler , AEM Methanol Injection , Car is running at 11PSI currently with methanol injection.

Runs 13.4 In the 1/4 with a 3 second 60 foot

also would anybody know the computer id number, or how can i find it, when i go into winbin, it asks for a ecm number.

Jake

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.4L DOHC , 5 Speed Manual Transmission , Turbonetics 62mm turbo, Turbonectics Evolution Wastegate , Turbonetics Raptor BOV , Large Front Mount Intercooler , AEM Methanol Injection , Car is running at 11PSI currently with methanol injection.

Comment

oh and not only what programs do i need but where do i get them at. thanks

Jake

Comment

For a 3.3 grand am? No idea.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

ECM swap time... I don't think anybody make a definition file for the 3.3........because nobody uses it.
          Okay now, that's enough of that.

Comment

would he need to swap the ecm or just a memcal? if its a 93 it might be running the 7730 or 7727 ecm and since a motor is a motor and doesnt care what runs it, maybe the right chip would work, like one from a berretta or a j-body.

i think the 3.3 was a 90 degree motor wasnt it?
            If you aren't friends with a liar, you aren't friends with anyone.

Comment

Yeah, the 3.3 is a smaller 3.8 V6. Great little engine, but no aftermarket, and only made for a few years.
              \"NASCAR is an integral part of my life. A part of me died when Dale Earnhardt died.\"

1997 Olds CS 4-door S/C - 183,527 miles
              1999 Chevrolet Lumina 3100 - Wife took it at 158,340 miles
              1989 Volvo 740GL Wagon 2.3 8v - 232,050 miles

Comment

I don't think the 3.3 uses any ecm we're familiar with... just like how the 3.8's use a different ecm from us.

Comment

ok, so what ecm could i swap into it? i programmed my chip last night and the car starts but it is no different than the stock chip, there is no difference. would a computer from a 91 w body fit in? because i have tons of those laying around.

Jake

Comment

You might want to go on thirdgen.org and then go to message boards/ computer tuning and talk to "Grumpy" in the message boards. He has done some work with the 90 degree V6s somewhat unique ECM code. Maybe something from the '8253 ECM would work for you. It is a MAF 90 degree that I think uses the same sensors and such.

BTW what flywheel setup did you use?

Comment

Contact the guys at tunercat. The only thing you need to change is the road speed constant. That should be relatively simple to find with an ALDL definition file. You could probably bribe them by saying you'll pay them the cost of a definition file for their help... Since you're now running a manual, you're probably going to need to change your throttle follower to keep from stalling at stops, but you could probably get by by opening the throttle via the throttle stop, and just accepting a "0" IAC count.

Comment

Well first off i used a 3.1L flywheel, with all the holes welded in and drilled out to the bolt pattern that i need, then match balanced to the auto flexplate. works great. ok, i started a thread at thirdgen.org, i asked them what they thought, and i was looking at tunercat, and they dont have my application in there list, i should email them anyways though. how do i find out what ecm i have? i ripped the whole thing apart and i cant find any numbers, i also ripped apart a ecm from a 91 gtp and there is no numbers there, but the board look identical, they even have the same chips on it, just different plug ins on them, but how do i find my model number, any help, i feel like i just wasted alot of money, i really need this fixed. thanks for everything,

Jake

Comment

you likely have a 1228706

Can you take a picture of it? Supposedly it is in the same family as the '49 and '30... which could mean you just burn a 3.1 V6 prom, move a couple wires, and tune it.... if you wanted to go that way. I think it would be easiest just to change that road speed constant, but you have to know where it is located first...

Comment

yeah I think it is a 1228706 here are some pics,

now could i use a chip out of a 3.4L DOHC? and just flash my atmel chip to a 3.1L and re work it? any help please. i need to finish this. thanks

Jake

Comment

You can use a 3.4 *memcal*, the chip (binary) won't work with your computer or engine. Since you've already got the moates adapter and atmel chip, program a 5 speed V6 binary and see if it does anything wierd.

I'd recommend BFUZ for your application. the 3.3 is DIS right? I can't imagine it being a whole lot different internally.... The 3.1 (bfuz) binary won't run your engine well, if at all. It would require retuning the VE tables. But the good news is you *can* tune it.

Highly recommend tunerpro.

Comment

Working...
                              X