No announcement yet.

Custom 3400 Turbo 1988 Fiero Formula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what I would do if it was my car, is pick up a junkyard engine, get it running, and then have the heads ported, and a meaty cam thrown in the motor you pulled (and rebuilt) the have some real fun!
    "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

with all options cosidered, i'd still like to rebuild this one and get it running, espically if the head work you say is in the motor is still good, i'd rather know whats inside the motor than buying one. upgrades can come later such as building another motor on the side.

my theory being, it was setup with this engine, so put it back the way it was and go from there. but as far as this engine stands, i dont know how much boost was being ran or how bad they raped this car, seems to still be running under 10 psi. compression tests show 175-165 psi for cylinders 3, 4, 5, & 6. with cyl. 2 just under 150 and cyl.1 being the lowest at 125. i found master rebuild kits with a complete gasket set, all internal bearings (wrist pin, rod main, crank and cam), pistons & rings, valve stem seals, timing set, and oil pump for just under $450, jumps to 650-ish with a new cam.

i'll order the rebuild and rip apart the motor, if it cant be salvaged i'll get a new one plain and simple.

Comment

start a thread in pushrod performance so we can watch the progress!

also, some oddities about the "kit"

wrist pins don't have bearings.
        be sure to get a kit that uses the earlier style timing set, it's stronger then the later style.
        "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

cylinder 1 compression is obviously low. Something is wrong there. put a teaspoon of oil in it and retest that cylinder. If the compression goes up, then its the rings or even the piston, if it doesn't then its the gasket or the valves.

Just pull that head if you want, and look at the gasket. If you had a bunch of water in the oil, then the gasket is probably bad. its an easy fix.

Comment

Working...
          X