Custom 3400 Turbo 1988 Fiero Formula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom 3400 Turbo 1988 Fiero Formula

I can't believe I'm actually going to put this up for sale. I've had this 88 Fiero for the last 9-10 years, and it has undergone many mods. I bought it 100% stock with 83K on it, but unfortunately haven't driven it more than a few hundred miles these last couple years.

It currently has a ~30k mile 3400sfi engine from a 2001 GrandAm GT that has been turbocharged and intercooled via Turbonetics 60-trim T3-T04E. Updated metal Felpro Intake manifold gaskets, yellow LS6 valvesprings, and a custom 3500 Upper plenum with Northstar throttle body. Has a 4spd manual trans from a 70k mile 85GT and Spec Stg2 clutch in it. Decent tune with a Haltech stand-alone, and the included laptop. Running 6psi, can dyno tune for 10psi.

Body is in decent shape, but has some paint cracks around the custom vents and things that were molded in. Flush mount headlights, IMSA rear spoiler and custom hood/trunk vents. Custom sideskirts and trimmed rear bumper. Mostly gutted interior with fiberglass race seats, red accent panels, and Grant Race Wheel. Autometer Boost, A/F (driven by Innovate WB), and Buick Grand National Knock Gauges.

-West Coast Fiero 400lb F-R Coilover Kit
    -Koni Red adjustables F-R
    -Full Poly Bushings
    -FieroAddiction 12" Corvette Brake Kit F-R
    -MBMotorsports Weapon 17-18" staggered wheels
    -Nitto 555 Tires. Rears only 40% left, fronts like new.
    -Custom Bracing in rear engine bay, x-frame, etc
    -Custom SS Exhaust with single chamber muffler, dual outlet
    -Wrinkle Red Intercooler pipes, valve covers, and intake manifold
    -Porsche 50mm External Wastegate
    -Rodney Dickman 1" lowering balljoints

I'm sure there is more that I'm forgetting, as it's been a project for the last 4-5 years (always had another project I felt was more important, GSX, GVR4 etc). It is a blast to drive, stiff, point and shoot or slide any corners you want. It was my first car, and would love to keep it, but with having a house now, priorities change. I'm loosing a ton of money on this, but I think the price is VERY fair, and I want to sell quickly before I want to keep it. If you have any questions, feel free to email, jwarren269@yahoo.com or leave a reply here.

Justin

Asking $4000. Located in 18944, PA.

1988 Fiero Formula - 3400sfi with an intercooled 60trim, Haltech, water/meth
    1990 Mitsu Eclipse GSX - parted out
    1991 Galant VR4 #108/2000 - Slammed sedan, built everything
    1995 Kawi Ninja zx7r
    1992 S10 4x4 - lowered/bagged, the dd
    2004 450R MX quad

Very nice car and a great price too! GL with the sale.
    sigpic
    ----------
    BUILT Turbo 3400/4t65e-HD powered Grand AM in the making.

Comment

What's the difference between a formula and a gt?
      You may or may not know 10 times what i do.
      ASE Master certified. Just means I can take tests. GM ASEP Graduate.
      95' Z26, ported/cammed 3400/3500, OBD2, 282, T3T4. Boxes almost all empty..

Comment

I'm pretty sure Formula was a base car with GT suspension bits and the V6.
        Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Comment

Pretty much what Lefty said. It was the notchback body, usually less options for a lighter package, but with the handling and power of the GT.
          1995 Kawi Ninja zx7r
          2004 450R MX quad

Comment

Wow, this has potential to be an awesome ride. Already mostly there. Just needs some cleaning up and a few touches (carpet) and it would be awesome! Handling and power are all there! If I didn't have another project I'd be all over this. mid-engine traction FTW! Man I need another garage!!!
            sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
            1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
            16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
            Original L82 Longblock
            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
            Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

if i had the money i would be all over this, and swap my GT fastback panels onto.

I see you chose to use the rear Alt mount and lose the stock dogbone placement, can you take pictures and explain where you added that back in? I'm in the middle of a 3400 swap myself into an 86.5 GT 5spd and need to figure out where to put a dogbone.

-Chris
              I modify stuff

Comment

Sharp car and great deal.

Actually the Forulma has all the goodies performance wise as the GT but not some of the unneccesary options and the V6. There was a SE also for some years and a plain old Fiero that had a 2.5 in them that was the one prone to fire. 1988 is the best year also. It was the last year and the only year after the redesign. The 88 Forulma typically is the most desired and rarest. Its on my list of cars to have someday.
                Dan
                http://www.zrracing.com/
                [/url]http://www.youtube.com/user/zrracing4
                sigpic

Comment

Dan, thanks for the info.

Chris, I built a dogbone that goes where the stock 84-87 engine strut goes. It's tubular steel with poly inserts. Then a modded block bracket, and custom cradle bracket.
                  1995 Kawi Ninja zx7r
                  2004 450R MX quad

Comment

Bump for a temporary price drop. $3500 if it's gone (or serious deposit) within the next week or two!
                    1995 Kawi Ninja zx7r
                    2004 450R MX quad

Comment

1988 fiero formula found

Originally posted by EMX5636 View Post
                      I can't believe I'm actually going to put this up for sale. I've had this 88 Fiero for the last 9-10 years, and it has undergone many mods. I bought it 100% stock with 83K on it, but unfortunately haven't driven it more than a few hundred miles these last couple years.

It currently has a ~30k mile 3400sfi engine from a 2001 GrandAm GT that has been turbocharged and intercooled via Turbonetics 60-trim T3-T04E. Updated metal Felpro Intake manifold gaskets, yellow LS6 valvesprings, and a custom 3500 Upper plenum with Northstar throttle body. Has a 4spd manual trans from a 70k mile 85GT and Spec Stg2 clutch in it. Decent tune with a Haltech stand-alone, and the included laptop. Running 6psi, can dyno tune for 10psi.

Body is in decent shape, but has some paint cracks around the custom vents and things that were molded in. Flush mount headlights, IMSA rear spoiler and custom hood/trunk vents. Custom sideskirts and trimmed rear bumper. Mostly gutted interior with fiberglass race seats, red accent panels, and Grant Race Wheel. Autometer Boost, A/F (driven by Innovate WB), and Buick Grand National Knock Gauges.

-West Coast Fiero 400lb F-R Coilover Kit
                      -Koni Red adjustables F-R
                      -Full Poly Bushings
                      -FieroAddiction 12" Corvette Brake Kit F-R
                      -MBMotorsports Weapon 17-18" staggered wheels
                      -Nitto 555 Tires. Rears only 40% left, fronts like new.
                      -Custom Bracing in rear engine bay, x-frame, etc
                      -Custom SS Exhaust with single chamber muffler, dual outlet
                      -Wrinkle Red Intercooler pipes, valve covers, and intake manifold
                      -Porsche 50mm External Wastegate
                      -Rodney Dickman 1" lowering balljoints

I'm sure there is more that I'm forgetting, as it's been a project for the last 4-5 years (always had another project I felt was more important, GSX, GVR4 etc). It is a blast to drive, stiff, point and shoot or slide any corners you want. It was my first car, and would love to keep it, but with having a house now, priorities change. I'm loosing a ton of money on this, but I think the price is VERY fair, and I want to sell quickly before I want to keep it. If you have any questions, feel free to email, jwarren269@yahoo.com or leave a reply here.

Justin

Asking $4000. Located in 18944, PA.

i bought this car from a friend and need help getting it running great again, any other info you have on this car would be great

Comment

I hope you didn't pay too much for it. I am guessing you got it from a guy who goes by pontiackid on the forums? I think his name is rick. if so, he abused the heck out of that car. Then again he does that with all the cars he has owned

What problems are you having with it? start a new thread you will get more help

Comment

i got it from my friend of mine named Brett localy, he traded an old camaro for it and since he knows nothing about cars its left to me to fix.

the car runs rough, blowing white smoke, dies when it starts getting hot, oil is a little milky leading me to believe i have a blown head gasket. need to borrow a bore scope from someone to see into the cylinders to check for damage. rebuild kit for the engine found online for around 600. clutch is almost gone, it's hard to shift into any gear, brakes are frozen.

this thing needs a little bit of love

Comment

might be the LIM gaskets too. fwiw, you can get a low miles 3500 for $300 ish dollars, the between the two I've purchased, I think I have about $650-700 in them, and both were under 40K miles.
                            "I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

Comment

Clutch is bad again? I'm pretty sure it was replaced by the kid I sold it to. (it was Pontiackid on PFF) It appears he probably did beat the snot out of it. Do you know how much boost it was running? I'm wondering if someone did a bad tune or he turned up the boost. It was pretty close at WOT for the 6-8psi it was running.

You could rebuild the engine, but as eric mentioned, you can get a complete engine for less. (that 3400 in there came from an 01 Alero I think I paid 300-350 for)
                              1995 Kawi Ninja zx7r
                              2004 450R MX quad

Comment

Working...
                              X