3400 P&P Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted 3400 P&P Heads

I am looking for some one selling 3400 P&P heads, i am putting in a MMS stage 2 cam and need everything done to it. Valve work, valves, springs, etc. Let me know if anyone has some for sale or anything at all. Got quoted $850 for local shop to do it.

Flowbench proven design. 26986 springs are all you need for the cam to work. Recommend milling and valve job.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
      http://wot-tech.com/shop/all/sportsm...s/prod_54.html

Flowbench proven design. 26986 springs are all you need for the cam to work. Recommend milling and valve job.
      Word.
      Ben has proven himself time and time again that his WOT-Tech port work is the way to go. I wouldn't trust a local shop on 3x00 heads, as it's very easy to hurt the flow.
      I know from experience, I paid over $800 for a pair of heads & rockers that were "fully ported" by a local shop that ended up flowing almost 20% worse then stock. Since the ports were hogged out badly, the flow couldn't have even been fixed.
      I ended up with an $800+ set of Crane Gold Race Rockers because the heads were junk.
      Last edited by discostu; 04-29-2010, 07:55 PM.

Comment

how can a machine shop hurt flow that badly?
        2002 Chevy Malibu 3400sfi - Project Sleeper - Good night

Boost - Coming soon to a malibu near you.

Comment

Hogging them out lowers velocity. Imagine blowing through a 1/2" pipe. Then blow through a 2" pipe. Which one does the air move faster in? The 1/2" flows faster, but the 2" flows more volume. The faster moving air has a tendency to flow fast enough to put almost like a ramming effect in an engine. Since the air is moving so fast, it tries to keep flowing which makes like a mini supercharging effect. It's all to do with the airs velocity (I'm sure you have seen this term on this site plenty of times). There is a fine line to ride between keeping velocity without removing too much material. If you hog the heads out (2" pipe) they flow a lot of air, but not fast enough like a correct port job will do (Ben's heads= 1/2" pipe). The only time you want to hog heads out is if you were going with boost. This is a very simple example of it. You should read up on velocity and scavaging. Scavaging is a neat thing that exhaust can do (mostly with headers) that pays off as more HP and TQ.

EDIT: Sorry to the OP for the slight thread jack.
          Last edited by pocket-rocket; 04-29-2010, 11:45 PM.
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
          91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
          92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
          94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
          Originally posted by Jay Leno
          Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

yeah true this is kinda the for sale section haha. but thanks for that informative post..thats why im apart of this site. im learning! haha. ill definitely read up on Scavaging. but im in the process of experimenting with spare 3100 heads with my friends diegrinder and some small detail work with my dremel (yes..a dremel). should i be good just shaving off the rough part of the ports? i'm not going ape shit or anything..just taking that rough layer off. and is this hogging only a factor in the intake ports? seems like more porting on the exhaust ports would be better..or does the 1/2" 2" pipe example still come into play?
            2002 Chevy Malibu 3400sfi - Project Sleeper - Good night

Boost - Coming soon to a malibu near you.

Comment

It still comes into play because it has to do with scavaging.
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
              91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
              92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
              94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
              Originally posted by Jay Leno
              Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
              X