X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Sale : 94 Cutlass Supreme Convertible 3.4L DOHC w/ HUD

$4500 OBO
    Up for sale is my 94 Convertible 82k Miles, LOADED, everything original

I love this car, but I have to sell it, we are having a baby girl in January, and I need to get rid of some things and above all, get some extra money.

This is a loaded car I have been hoping to get around to restoring a bit, drivetrain is great, starts easy, accelerates incredibly quickly and corners great. I am using Mobil1 Oil and changed the Transmission fluid to Mobil1 Syn.

3.4L DOHC engine and 4speed Auto w/ OD
    Black paint with the sawtooth rims,
    Black interior with the Dark Graphite Leather.
    HUD - Heads up Display (you get the speed, blinkers warning lights projected on your windshield
    Convertible top works very nicely and pretty much everything is original.
    Factory Lip Spoiler
    Fog Lights
    I bought this back in 2005 or 2006 from California and drove it home.

Things I have fixed on it since I owned it.
    Blinker switch - he had rigged it up with a 3 way toggle, i removed it and replaced the switch and wiring
    Convertible top - fixed leak and now goes up and down
    HUD - replaced switch that was broken
    Ashtray/Center trim - replaced missing ashtray and piece of missing trim
    Trunk Lid - plugged hole in trunk
    Alignment - was wearing tires on inside
    Replaced Battery

Issues I can find:
    A/C - leaks out R-134a in about 3 or 4 days, but compressor runs and cools very cold when added.
    Drivers door is hanging down a bit, bottom of plastic is worn and bottom trim is off, window controls have fallen in a bit and drivers window button is missing, windows all work except rear left

There are several minor things, the power antenna isn't working, there are various scratches but the only significant ones are on the trunk lid. The previous owner had cut a 3/8" hole and had a big antenna. I have a plug in the hole but you still see the wear marks and some scratches on the trunk. The jack doesn't work, water got into the spare tire. There are a couple of tiny screw holes in the center of the dash and 3 on the passenger side hump near the shifter and a bit of foam under the am/fm/eq/tape deck where the previous owner had a bunch of electronics installed. Tires have some wear where they were wearing the outside edge because of a bad alignment. There is an evap gasket that needs to be installed that only lets you go to a bit below the yellow warning line rather than the red E line on gas. Small hole on drivers side leather seats. Low Coolant warning light comes on, even though the coolant isn't low.

PM me if you have questions
    Attached Files
    2014 Chevy Cruise LT
    2000 Kawasaki ZX-6R Ninja Motorcycle

Ok, now asking $4000
    2014 Chevy Cruise LT

Comment

My 93 cutlass coupe has hud

Comment

the wear on the outside edge of the front tires is usually caused by cornering too fast. unless only one is wearing down like that

My Cardomain Page | My Random Online Gallery<- (Now Fixed)

Comment

cool about the hud.. I agree you can wear the outside corner of the tires by cornering fast ( I would never say too :P) unforunately, this was wear they got in the back! So it had to have a 4 wheel alignment.
          2014 Chevy Cruise LT

Comment

To anyone,

Please let me know if you recommend the 94-97 Cutlass Supreme SL Conv. w/3.4 dohc v6. I am interested in buying one with low milage (<60k) that is kept clean and nice.

I am especially interested in engine issues (like the cracked or leaky manifolds) and other such hair pulling frustrations. I use to own a fire red olds cutlass 3100 v6 in the 90's and I really enjoyed it for the most part. Traded it in too soon.

Is this car considered reliable over 75K miles? GM has made great engines but I want power and reliability.

Please post (I'm a newbee)

Comment

did you ever buy one? I have owned 2, 92 with a 3.1 and my current 94 with the 3.4. I have owned for 5 yrs now. All I have ever done to it in that length of time is replace the coils, plugs, wires and master cylinder. Other than routine brakes, tires, never had a lick of problem with it. Has 125K miles, everything works perfect!

Comment

I have found these cars EXTREMELY reliable. Generally just good maintenance will give you a car that last a very long time.

I had a 90 Chevy Lumina also, had the 3.1L, not a lot of power, but the engine was still decent at 180k when I sold it, the transmission however had seen better days. The 91s starting putting the e on the 4t60e, and that help alot having the computer control things like shifting and lock up. (mine had started to not lock after driving for 30 to 45 minutes).

The 3.4L DOHC engines are a work of art. All aluminum, great power, high reving, very reliable IF you maintain them. The biggest complaint I ever heard from them was the people who were doing little to keep there car going (i.e. only changing oil). 91-95 models needed to have there timing belt replaced every 7 years or 75k miles (whichever is first) and many people weren't doing this, and getting a very expensive bill where they had to go in and put a new belt on and align 4 cams. It isn't the easiest job (GM was charging about 600-750 to change the belt without having to align cams), but it kept those engines strong. The back 3 spark plugs are a bit of a hassle to change without the right tooling, but the newer spark plugs made that a 100k change (or do it with the timing belt it my suggestion). Beyond that, if you change the oil and filter every 3k (or 5k with synthetic), tranny fluid every 50k, radiator fluid every 3 years and that timing belt, you might be able to put 300-500k miles on one.

My only issues have really been in the DIS and coils. I got a bracket kit from a 97 and moved it up top and it has been much more reliable than when it was bolted to the engine and manifold. And I had a series of Altenators that went bad about 2 years in (5 in 7 years) but they changed the model and solved that.

Beyond that just minor issues, had a bad positive cable at 12yo, replaced the a/c and hoses at 18yo, some basic body items like rear sway bars and boots on the front arms.

If i was buying one, i would get either a 3.4L DOHC or the 3.4L pushrod engine.
                2014 Chevy Cruise LT

Comment

I have owned this 94 since July 06. To date, here is everything I have replaced: 3 coils, plugs, wires, front/rear brakes, rear caliper, rear rotors, front rotors, front/rear struts/shocks, 4 brand new General tires last Memorial Day, had to have the radio refurbished (CD player stopped working correctly, would play, but not eject. Had the same CD in for a year, lol). Before I bought this car, it had been towed into a NAPA repair center in Chicago, with a blown tranny. After he rebuilt it, the guy couldn't pay for it, so he decided to go through this car and replace/repair anything that needed it and sell it. I was lucky enough to buy this car on eBay for a mere $2700 and this is what he did to the car: rebuilt tranny, replaced timing belt, he sent the radio out to be refurbished, replace the driver's side window switch, fix the cupholder, change the oil/filter (I run Mobile 1 oil/filter and change every 7500 miles or so), and he replaced the tires. The top was replaced the year before that, in 05, so I have gotten 7 yrs worth out of it and it needs to be replaced again. Not once has she ever failed to start for me.
                  Even with bad coils, she started and ran, just missed when you punched her. I bought her with about 85K miles on her and in 5 years, have put 36K miles on her and she still runs strong. No problems anywhere and I maintain her regularly. She gets fully detailed every spring, she is garaged every night, only driven in spring/summer, never in the rain unless I am got out in it, and I love this car. I get complimented on it almost every time I drive her somewhere.

Comment

Yes, the DOHC got a very bad rap thanks to lazy people that can't read owners manuals
                    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                    Originally posted by Jay Leno
                    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                      Yes, the DOHC got a very bad rap thanks to lazy people that can't read owners manuals
                      Old thread I know, but what do you mean?

Comment

No one kept up on scheduled maintenance, ei the timing belt.

Granted the alternator is in the dumbest position possible, and the high revving engine mated with a trans that doesn't like to go that high.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
                        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                        Originally posted by Jay Leno
                        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Just thought I'd update this.

I bought this car from Scott in October of 2010 for $2000

Mods / repairs since I've purchased it:

New Black Stayfast Canvas Top w. defroster glass
                          4th gen F-body quarter dew wipe mod
                          Factory HUD equipped
                          92 International AQ9 swap - quad buckets
                          17" Polished Eagle 077's
                          LED 3rd brake light
                          KYB GR2's and new mounts
                          15% tint all around
                          HID retrofit in miniquads
                          JVC DVD deck
                          Door speaker install
                          5 spd console plate
                          Powdercoated windshield frame trim - gloss black
                          Powdercoated cowl trim - gloss black
                          Powdercoated fender braces and FSTB
                          LED interior lighting throughout
                          Retractable underhood light
                          FFP Underdrive pulley / gatorback belt
                          LED foglamps
                          New alternator, timing belt, intake gaskets and dist o-ring fixed @ 91k miles
                          FFP dogbone with Energy Suspension poly bushings
                          GM 9C3 trailing arms
                          Magnaflow 304SS mandrel bent downpipe and catalytic converter

Now has 91k miles.

Pictured with my 95 Triple white

Some progress pics

Where I started

Last edited by 93luminaz34; 11-13-2013, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Absolutely beginning to look awesome. So sad I sold the car because my now ex-wife wouldn't ride in it. Where did you get the seats? What are you doing with the old door panels..

There are probably a few down here by Mexico, but I haven't been willing to go out in the summer when it is 104 and haggle. They also tend to repair things they shouldn't and none of the plastics last down here. How much was the 304SS kit? I am going to have to buy a car next year, but already decided now that I have beaten the electrical issue my 92 had, I am going to keep it forever.
                            2014 Chevy Cruise LT

Comment

Thanks.

Seats were from a 92 CS International, plug and play

I sold the original door panels to another local convertible owner

The 304 SS cat and downpipe was about $100

Comment

Working...
                              X