Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted 2.8,3.1,or 3.4 V6

Hello,
    I am looking for a 2.8,3.1 or 3.4 V6 for my 1988 Grand Prix. The current 2.8 has 250,000 miles and is running on 5 cylinders. I have found out that it would be cheaper to just get a new engine. I just graduated from college so I am a little short on cash right now, but I would really like to get a decent engine. I can obtain $200 right now, but if I get a 3.4, I would need a 3.4 transmission.

I also have over $200 worth of car audio equipment to trade as well. Basicly, If you have a 2.8,3.1, or 3.4 engine/transmisson combo, please email me at
    robk80@rocketmail.com. Thanks, Rob
    1988 Grand Prix - project
    1999 Ford Explorer 4x4 - daily driver
    sigpic

No need to get a new tranny if you are going to a 3.4. And, you need to be specific as to what you are looking for. I doubt you want to go with a 3.4 DOHC, nor a 3.4 SFI (RWD), so therefore you would be looking for a 3400. The 3.1 could be either a 3.1L or a 3100, depending on what route you want to go. Reading your thread in the other section, your best bet would be 3100 or 3400, although a 2.8 or 3.1 would be the most direct swaps.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Are you looking for iron head motors or aluminum?

Why does the 3.4 have to have a 3.4 trans????
      sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
      1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
      16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
      Original L82 Longblock
      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
      Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Originally posted by IsaacHayes View Post
        Are you looking for iron head motors or aluminum?

Why does the 3.4 have to have a 3.4 trans????
        Is your "?" key stuck tonight?
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

i say keep it simple stupid, when you take the 2.8 out, you know how you did it, so put a new one just like it back in. that way you dont have to change ANYTHING if you buy the right motor. (well no modifications are needed) we all know what would be fun, but come on, hes on a budget and needs his car asap im sure
          a direct straight forward same engine swap is pretty easy and should be plug and play for the electronics, fuel lines, and everything else... right? why go fawkin with shit just cuz its fun? well, aside for the fact its fun.

My Cardomain Page | My Random Online Gallery<- (Now Fixed)

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys!

While I would like the car running as long as possible, I do have a 1996 Oldsmobile that was my daily driver before I got the Grand Prix. I could drive that while I am putting in a new engine. I am looking to make this a unique car. It needs some dents fixed and a heck of a lot of interior work done before it is ready for any shows.

What would be a good mileage for a good-running junkyard engine? All the
            2.8L that I have found on the internet in my price range have 150,000-180,000 miles. Is an engine swap something that I could do at my dad's shop? He has a forklift that we could use to lift the engines in and out. Also, would it take more than a Saturday/Sunday type of timeframe?
            sigpic

Comment

sometimes its easier to take the engine out from the bottom, but there arent a whole lot of special tools for it. if you wanna make the car special?? take a motor from a Ford Taurus SHO... lol make sure to get a Gen 1 or 2 though... you dont want the V8 SHO. its a pile of crap and isnt tuned by yamaha like the V6s. good for 220Hp stock with one of the coolest looking intake manifolds ive ever seen.

Comment

Ha ha ha, you're joking, right?
                For one thing, I don't think the mounts would be the same for an SHO engine.

I am still needing an engine though. I would really like a "low" mileage engine
                (120,000 or less), but I'll consider up to 150,000. I'm really okay with any of the three engine models, as long as they come with the computer/wireing harness.

I have $200 cash plus over $200 worth of car audio equipment to pay/trade for the engine. Please, If you have an engine that you would like to get rid of, let me know ASAP! If you are in Iowa, great! If you are in a neighboring state we can meet somewhere. I am really needing an engine! Thank you!
                sigpic

Comment

youre the one who said they wanted something unique!!! lol 220 stock HP like the LQ1, but im pretty sure it has more torque. its a really impressive motor and a little easier to work on than mine... but yeah. a bit of custom work forsure.

Comment

True, but when I say "unique" I mean putting in a 3.1, 3.4, or 3.8 (something that didn't come stock in the '8. I like it that you are thinking outside the box though.

I would really like to put in a 3.8 out of say an Oldsmobile 88 or Buick LaSabre. Everyone I have talked to so far says it can't be done, I don't know why. The 3.8 (Series II more so than Series I) was one heck of an engine. My '96 Olds Ninety Eight has the 3.8 and I love it. I would really like to have another one. Thanks for the ideas!
                    sigpic

Comment

well then let er rip with a good 3.4 DOHC. its a Wbody motor, and should use stock mounts and shit... plus it has some crazy high end power for an old motor. i got one with 120k (kilometers) for $900 but im sure a junk yard would do a better price.

Comment

You might want to buy 2 or so extra transmissions if you went with a DOHC. It doesn't like to play nice with them. Rather I should say they don't like to play nice with it (they don't like the high rpms like the DOHC does).
                        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.
                          sigpic

Comment

thats news to me... lol maybe i shouldnt let mine rev so high... lol

Comment

Well, I went through 2 before swapping in the 5 speed. And the first one I pulled out (@99k miles) did have a "Re-manufactured by Hydro-matic" sticker on it, so that one wasn't original either. At least I did get 30k miles out of the $300 junkyard unit I bought. Although at the end half the time it would go into lockup, half the time it wouldn't. And half of the time it did go into lockup it would slip so I would let off to disengage lockup to avoid burning up my torque converter. The first one went out while going to Chicago for the car show. It was fine all the way out there, then as we pulled into town it started slipping really bad until finally a mile later it wouldn't move until it cooled down, which worked out so we didn't have to push it onto the trailer. It's not the transmissions fault. The 4t60-e lives fine behind most other engines, just not the DOHC because of the rev range of the engine exceeding the redline of the transmission.
                              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Working...
                              X