91 GTP 3.4l 5 speed engine wiring harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanted 91 GTP 3.4l 5 speed engine wiring harness

I just bought a this car and got it home and started having various electrical/wiring problems. Apparently someone removed engine/trans without properly disconnecting everything. Pretty much everything was cut, then but-spliced later. I have had to re-run wires from the ecm to make stuff work but I am still dealing with a lot of intermittant stuff. I may be interested in an ECM +ecm mounts too, I am sure this wiring mess hasn't treated it nicely.
    1992 Grand Prix SE 3.1l 155k SOLD
    1992 Grand Prix GTP 3.4l 55K
    1991 Grand Prix GTP 3.4l 5 speed 99K SOLD
    1988 Pontiac Fiero GT 2.8 5 speed Turbo 36K Sold
    2011 Mazda 3s 5dr 6 speed
    2008 Grand Prix GXP 5.3l 24K sold

Your best bet is probably going to be a you pull it yard, and since your town is close to Indy, you shouldn't have too much of a problem finding one.
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

It would be cheaper that way too. Otherwise, the wreckers would charge a quite a bit for the whole harness....
      1991 Grand Prix STE
      3.4 DOHC
      1 of 792 Produced
      Extensive Mods Done

1991 Lumina Z34
      3.4 DOHC
      Getrag 284 5spd
      1 of 30
      Canadian Z34 Models Made with the Getrag 5spd Wahoooo!

1980 GMC Sierra Classic C25 With 18,000 ORIGINAL MILES!!!!

sigpic

Comment

I have hit a few yards and there are a few 3.4l GTP's out there, but I have been limiting my search to the ones with manual transmissions, as rare as they are I have had no luck. Could I pull one with an automatic trans and somehow mod it to work with my man trans? I am not sure if anything even connects to the man trans...

Comment

Yes you can. My 92 was originally an auto car and I put a 5 speed in its place because I got tired of changing transmissions. The VSS wire is on the passenger side on the auto. The harness needs to have the snake-skin removed and move the sensor plug to the drivers side. IIRC, the VSS plug on the manual is the same as the auto. Also, the purple and yellow wires on the P-N safety switch need soldered together (those are for the starter). There are also two other wires in there (Orange and Light Green), those solder to the pigtail you will cut off of your 5 speed harness for your reverse lights- polarity on it really doesn't matter. Also connect the Green/Black wire to the Orange wire so your trunk popper works (it hooks into the P/N switch so you can't pop your trunk while going down the highway on accident).Also the Tan/Black wire from the transmission control plug needs to run to your shift light (or B-7 on the White plug on the ECM) which is something I didn't do.
          Last edited by pocket-rocket; 09-23-2009, 02:45 PM.
          -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

i hate to even chime in on this.. I also hate to get your hopes up.. I have a complete engine harness for a 92 Z34 5-speed.. Which BTW is the same as you need.. Bad part is i have it pretty much sold...
            Robert
            ---------------------------------------------------
            96 Grand Prix SE 3100 202,000 miles
            New Rebuilt 3100
            New Rebuilt 4T60-E
            Exhaust
            Drilled/Slotted Rotors

95 Grand Prix GTP 177,000 miles
            White
            3" Magnaflow Catback
            Lowered 2" Eibach in front Brichmount Rear
            94-96 Hi-Po 5 Stars on 245/50/16

90 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix
            5 Speed Swapped
            Spec Stage 3 Clutch
            230,000 mile Getrag 282
            Emissions Deleted
            Brand new Engine 1,000 Miles
            Fully Custom Built car

Comment

Originally posted by 94GPGTP View Post
              i hate to even chime in on this.. I also hate to get your hopes up.. I have a complete engine harness for a 92 Z34 5-speed.. Which BTW is the same as you need.. Bad part is i have it pretty much sold...

Well if they back out let me know I would be quite interested!! This project will prob wait a few weeks/months anyway. I need to do the top end (-heads) and trace down my OPSU wires for now.

Comment

That's ok, he got a lot of peoples hopes up in this thread as well...

Why he would post this if it is "pretty much sold" is beyond me...
                -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Well, thanks for the lengthy write up on the auto to manual conversion for the harness, pocket rocket. I will probably end up going that route in a few weeks.

Comment

Not a problem. Luckily I found my Helms manual so I was able to figure wire colors, lol. Otherwise the only thing I would have been able to say as far as wires go is hook the big two together or your starter won't work, lol. BTW, if you don't have a Helms manual and you plan on keeping the car a while, you should check on ebay for them. They are the same manuals the stealerships use.

Here you go $30 and some change:
                    Last edited by pocket-rocket; 09-24-2009, 05:39 PM.
                    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                      Not a problem. Luckily I found my Helms manual so I was able to figure wire colors, lol. Otherwise the only thing I would have been able to say as far as wires go is hook the big two together or your starter won't work, lol. BTW, if you don't have a Helms manual and you plan on keeping the car a while, you should check on ebay for them. They are the same manuals the stealerships use.

Here you go $30 and some change:
                      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-...=p4506.c0.m245
                      I have the kent moore Pontiac division service manuals for my 92's. They are three big separate books. Although they look the same as the ones in the listing. So far they have proven very reliable for my 91 as well, but they are just for the 92 model year though. They also make use of the Tech 1a in a lot of areas, which is good because I have the Tech 1a w/powertrain cartridge and others. I wonder if I should invest in the three 91 books... I suppose one day I could run into a discrepency

Comment

The only thing that would have changed would be things that wouldn't have an impact on any function of the car. I found some discrepancies between my 91 and my 92. Things like the shape of the seat back on the front seats (full width gramma style in the 91, sporty narrowed at the top in the 92), the gray stripe that goes around the outside of the car (solid gray on the 91, has a red line around the bottom of the 92), stuff like that. Anything to do with chassis, wiring, mechanics and function will all be the same, so I would save your dough unless you really want to spend it since you already have the good manuals.
                        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

its possible to see a few changes in the C100 connector in 91 to 92...

but for the large part, everything is identical
                          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                          Latest nAst1 files here!
                          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Found you a harness. It's from a 92 gp I believe. But all harnesses are the same. He is a member on w-body. He told me to give you his cell number and call him up. The harness is ready to ship outto you.

419-376-4073 name is Alex.

I hope you grab this from him. Lmk the outcome.
                            Robert
                            ---------------------------------------------------
                            96 Grand Prix SE 3100 202,000 miles
                            New Rebuilt 3100
                            New Rebuilt 4T60-E
                            Exhaust
                            Drilled/Slotted Rotors

95 Grand Prix GTP 177,000 miles
                            White
                            3" Magnaflow Catback
                            Lowered 2" Eibach in front Brichmount Rear
                            94-96 Hi-Po 5 Stars on 245/50/16

90 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix
                            5 Speed Swapped
                            Spec Stage 3 Clutch
                            230,000 mile Getrag 282
                            Emissions Deleted
                            Brand new Engine 1,000 Miles
                            Fully Custom Built car

Comment

I joined this forum just to find this thread, Im Alex as seen in the above post... I do have the harness complete with the C100, have PCM to go with it if you need it... I have TONS of spare parts in my shed that I need to sell so I can throw some more things in the box to you if you would like, Ill be making a thread soon
                              Alex (Big Al) Walker

someday GM will pull its collective heads out of their collective asses and listen to us... or go bankru... oops.

Comment

Working...
                              X