06 Monte Carlo Turbo Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bearbear3_4 View Post
    If my trans doesnt take a dump I'd be disappointed, means I'm not pushing it hard enough.
    Man, that's one of the best responses I've ever seen on this site, lol. To me, this attitude screams enthusiast!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
    91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
    92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
    94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
    Originally posted by Jay Leno
    Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
      Man, that's one of the best responses I've ever seen on this site, lol. To me, this attitude screams enthusiast!

Lol. The sooner it breaks the sooner it can be replaced with a better one.

Comment

I've decided to stick with 8-10 psi but to change to a smaller a/r hot side so it spools faster and gives me boost sooner in the rpms. If my trans doesnt take a dump I'd be disappointed, means I'm not pushing it hard enough.
        lol, yeah man that's the spirit. In a way I knew my 4t60e wasn't gonna last very long with these hills, boost and a heavy foot.

I knew when the auto trans died I would be encouraged to do the manual swap.....and here I am a proud owner of a rare 5 speed 96 GP.
        Last edited by TGP37; 08-14-2012, 08:39 PM.
        1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Originally posted by TGP37 View Post
          lol, yeah man that's the spirit. In a way I knew my 4t60e wasn't gonna last very long with these hills, boost and a heavy foot.

I knew when the auto trans died I would be encouraged to do the manual swap.....and here I am a proud owner of a rare 5 speed 96 GP.
          I would love a 5 or 6 speed.

Comment

I would love a 5 or 6 speed.
            Yes, with a limited slip...they are awesome. Pulls like a true performance turbo.
            1996 Grand Prix | 3100v6 L82 | T04E-50 Turbo | Getrag 282 w/ EP LSD | SPEC-3 Clutch

Comment

Yes, with a limited slip...they are awesome. Pulls like a true performance turbo.
              Looks like it might be time to do a manual swap or AWD haven't decided.

Comment

Looks like it might be time to do a manual swap or AWD haven't decided.
                One option for AWD it's a the Aztec, and I've read the Aztec trans isn't that good. I replaced an axle seal on my sisters of Aztec and that thing was stupid expensive at the dealer. $80 for 1 seal, IIRC.

-60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

I was looking at the Rendezvous drive train. the wheelbase is 2 inches longer and the width is only .5. I might be able to swap everything over.

Comment

Launching would be so cool on AWD, if the power is there to push it. But I'v read they have issues over time and are only AWD below 25mph.

A twin turbo pushing AWD.....drool.....though I would stick with the tried and true. A good ole 5/6 speed with any good differential is plenty to have a fun DD.

Comment

almost sounds like a Syclone/Typhoon.... i'm amazed those hold together as well as they do.
                      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                      Latest nAst1 files here!
                      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Originally posted by robertisaar View Post
                        almost sounds like a Syclone/Typhoon.... i'm amazed those hold together as well as they do.
                        I had to look it up, found this article.

It seems the AWD's weight countered the ability to accelerate faster. Also noting if the rear wheels spin up the slightest bit different rpm's then they become really hard to control.

It seems to be more trouble then it's worth.
                        Last edited by TGP37; 08-17-2012, 10:19 AM.

Comment

I had to look it up, found this article.

It seems the AWD's weight countered the ability to accelerate faster. Also noting if the rear wheels spin up the slightest bit different rpm's then they become really hard to control.

It seems to be more trouble then it's worth.
                          If the traction control is kept I dont see any problems with wheel spin. A 100 shot of nitrous should solve any slowness till the turbo kicks in

Comment

If the traction control is kept I dont see any problems with wheel spin. A 100 shot of nitrous should solve any slowness till the turbo kicks in
                            I thought about pre-spool boost with NOS. I remember hearing about a turbo that can spool up very fast using an electric motor to spin up the turbine shaft during spool up.

I also heard about Ferrari injecting fuel ahead of the turbine, the exhuast ignited the fuel and allowed the turbo to spool up insanely fast. Would only do so for spool up as the egt's got to be insane injecting fuel pre-turbine.

Comment

I wouldn't bother with an electric motor on the shaft. More to go wrong and turbos can spin (not down like my phone previously swyped) at over 100k rpm. As for the injection, basically what you are talking about is how anti-lag works. Anti-lag with the ecm works by retarding the spark so late it fires late enough that the combustion event is still happening when the exhaust valve is still open/opening, raising EGT to spool the turbo faster.

Last edited by pocket-rocket; 08-17-2012, 04:04 PM.
                              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

multi-stage boost control: after passing a certain amount of throttle, dump fuel and retard spark, when the turbo spools close to the desired pressure, go back to normal fueling and spark. should keep the EGTs really hot momentarily, then go somewhat normal, reducing the amount of heat introduced to the metal around it?
                                1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                                Latest nAst1 files here!
                                Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                                X