Reliable power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reliable power

Will a 3.4/3400 with hyperutectic pistons running 15 psi give "reliable" service?

With too much timing you will break pistons. Trust me, I've done it.

Comment

it's ALL in the tune.
      1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
      Latest nAst1 files here!
      Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

So,with good tune I could still have a reliable driver ? Any idea what the hp[appox] output would be with the 3.4/3400?

Comment

what kind of compression?

and FWIW: a good rule of thumb is that assuming 100% compressor efficiency(which we all know it doesn't happen, you'll have to plot for yourself to see), adding 1 atmosphere of pressure(14.7PSI) will double your HP compared to N/A. adding yet another will be N/A HP X3... easy pattern to deal with.

there are exceptions to this, like some rough and nasty n/a cams, which don't play well with boost, while intercoolers make up for some of the efficiency loss and gain back some power, and also help prevent detonation.
          1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
          Latest nAst1 files here!
          Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

With stock compression ratio, short answer is no.

Longer answer is it might, but it really depends on your turbo setup, tuning setup, fueling setup, fuel quality, intercooler setup, etc. If you pick a small inefficient turbo without a good intercooler or tuning, the answer is certainly no. For a big turbo with efficient intercooler and good tuning, the answer is likely yes, but now you will need to beef up the next weak part.

Tim
            1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
            325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Originally posted by timg View Post
              now you will need to beef up the next weak part.

Tim
              would you be refering to the Trans? mine let loose with only 7psi and 50K miles .. BUT now it should hold for a long time. Like tim said, with the right components and tune you should be good... 15psi will flush out the weak links pretty fast.

S
              Shane "RedZMonte"
              2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
              1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
              -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
              2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
              1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
              1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
              1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
              1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

Working...
              X