Fuel Pumps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TurboGTU View Post
    You can also run pumps in series like the fords. One pusher pump and the primary pump. It will not increase the flow rate of both pumps but KEEP the same flow rate at higher pressures because the pumps work less to push the fuel.
    I was always curious if it was ok to do this. Good insurance in case one fails too no doubt, especially under boost.
    Any downsides to external fuel pumps?
    1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

Price! They are often more expensive by a large %.
      Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

No down side to an external pump. The good thing about factory high flow external pumps is that you can score them at the J/Y for cheap. I had found a Porche Bosch pump for like $15 and two Ford F series pumps for $30. All units tested good.
        88 Beretta GTU turbo . 90 Black ASC/McLaren TGP, awaiting 4t80. 2003 Grand AM se 3400/4t45 daily grind.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael View Post
          I was always curious if it was ok to do this. Good insurance in case one fails too no doubt, especially under boost.
          Any downsides to external fuel pumps?
          That's how my Aeromotive was in the GN and he hit 8's after going to the A1200

Originally posted by TurboGTU View Post
          http://www.stealth316.com/2-fuelpumpguide.htm

Just something to look at.
          You can also run pumps in series like the fords. One pusher pump and the primary pump. It will not increase the flow rate of both pumps but KEEP the same flow rate at higher pressures because the pumps work less to push the fuel.

That Aeromotive pump is a good score!
          I'm not going to pull my fuel tank, it's on top of the rear end - when IT comes out, I'll mod the pickup to use only an external.
          Links:
          WOT-Tech.com
          FaceBook
          Instagram

Comment

Personally i wouldn't trust bosh at all... if your gonna go get a bosh pump form a reker, go for it cuz its probably gonna be old and those ones were well made but keep in mind they are used. but I would never buy anything new that bosh makes... a few years ago bosh was high quality, now they dont give a rats ass about quality they are all about profit. aka buy a set of bosh plugs, have 2 duds... same with anything they make now day's.
            1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme International
            3.4L DOHC Getrag HM-284
            1 of 85 Produced whith the manual tranny
            New addition: 1981 Dodge Power Ram W150 4x4
            6" lift, Dana 60/70, 35" County Terrain, 440c.u.i. 4bbl swap

Comment

Originally posted by 91DOHC284 View Post
              Personally i wouldn't trust bosh at all... if your gonna go get a bosh pump form a reker, go for it cuz its probably gonna be old and those ones were well made but keep in mind they are used. but I would never buy anything new that bosh makes... a few years ago bosh was high quality, now they dont give a rats ass about quality they are all about profit. aka buy a set of bosh plugs, have 2 duds... same with anything they make now day's.

I know what you mean. My 1998 F150 had the origional (from Ford) Bosch plugs in it when they were changed at 125k miles. They were still working fine, but figured it was time to replace. The next set was MotorCraft and lasted 60k before the elctrodes were so worn, that the gap had been doubled, lol. This time I put Bosch back in, and two months later one of the electrodes and ceremic tips had completely broke off - luckily I have noticed no damage.
              Links:
              WOT-Tech.com
              FaceBook
              Instagram

Comment

Just putting it out there. Ive had my Walbro 255 for about two years now, roughly 20k miles with it and no problems at all. My only complant is that its TOO QUIET. My stock pump was louder. Can barely hear my Walbro
                1994 Chevy Corsica. Parted out. Just a rotting shell now
                Best 1/4mile ET - 12.9
                Best 1/4mile MPH - 111
                1997 Ford Ranger Splash
                Daily Driver

Comment

The A1000's are nice pumps. I've had problems with them overheating on longer trips in customer cars. They say right in the instructions that they recommend buying a voltage regulator for anything seeing more than 30mins of runtime, or less than 10gals of fuel.
                  1988 Fiero Formula - 3400sfi with an intercooled 60trim, Haltech, water/meth
                  1990 Mitsu Eclipse GSX - parted out
                  1991 Galant VR4 #108/2000 - Slammed sedan, built everything
                  1995 Kawi Ninja zx7r
                  1992 S10 4x4 - lowered/bagged, the dd
                  2004 450R MX quad

Comment

Slightly off-topic and I'm sorry, but I've learned alot from this post and have a quick question.

If I need 55 psi and the pump will put out up to 80 psi, will I need to get a fpr to adjust the pressure down a bit?

My fuel system is a return style and I'm getting mixed results (answers) from another forum.

Comment

What is your vehicle? Stock you should have a FPR anyways.
                      sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                      1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                      16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                      Original L82 Longblock
                      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                      Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

It's a 1997 cavalier swapped w/ a 3400 out of a 2000 grand am.

Comment

The FPR is on your fuel rail by the throttle body. The stock FPR for that year I think is 55psi so you are fine.
                          sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                          1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                          16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                          Original L82 Longblock
                          with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                          Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Thank you very much. I appreciate all the help.

Comment

Working...
                            X