turbo or supercharger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo or supercharger

in psi how much boost does a 3.8L superchargergive?
    how much boost does a 3.1L turbo give?
    and what would be better 4 my 3.1 sunbird gt
    i know that teh supercharger would probly be easest 2 insall (im not going 2 mount it ontop of my intake manitold. just got 2 figure out if i need a blowoff valve or sum other idea. hey what about a 3.8L tb? would that work?) Im thinking of the supercharger.
    thx
    Last edited by alainman15; 01-25-2007, 10:15 PM.
    Cars beaten in 1/4 mile: 06 Honda Civic DX
    love my 3400

check out my car at cardomain.com
    search "alainman15"

me personally i prefer supercharger, but i am going with a custom whipple instead of any roots blower....

S...........L...........E...........E...........P...........E...........R

Comment

thought the 3.1 gpt had 8psi standard..and the 3.8 sc had about 11-12psi.

read that somewhere...

I am going sc myself
      nothing's impossible-it's just a mindset

Comment

Originally posted by alainman15 View Post
        in psi how much boost does a 3.8L superchargergive?
        how much boost does a 3.1L turbo give?
        and what would be better 4 my 3.1 sunbird gt
        i know that teh supercharger would probly be easest 2 insall (im not going 2 mount it ontop of my intake manitold. just got 2 figure out if i need a blowoff valve or sum other idea. hey what about a 3.8L tb? would that work?) Im thinking of the supercharger.
        thx
        1. Depends on the pulley... Different pullies will spin the SC differently, thus creating different boost levels.

2. The 3.1L turbo from the TGPs? IIRC, it was rated for around 10-12psi.

3. Depends on how much money you want to spend...

4. How in the world is the SC going to be the easiest if you are NOT going to mount it on top of the intake manifold?!? Its far from a simple bolt-on....
        -Brad-
        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
        sigpic
        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

ya i thought about that after i maded the tread. didnt think that 1 through. but the concept is more simple it think.maybe if i mount it behind the intake? but that would mean taking that out if i wanted 2 get 2 the spark plugs. plus there isn't much room back there 2 begin with. i just dont really like the concept of playing around with my exhaust pipes.i still am researching more into it for what would be better.

r the pistons in my car the same as the tgp or are the tgp pistons stronger(better
          Last edited by alainman15; 01-26-2007, 08:26 PM.
          love my 3400

search "alainman15"

Comment

"The 3.1L turbo from the TGPs? IIRC, it was rated for around 10-12psi"

Are we talking stock? the stock TGP was 7-8 psi, 9.5 psi was the stock fuel cut off boost level.
            Curtis
            91\' Turbo Z24
            http://www.turboz24.com

Comment

I never said I was a turbo expert Curtis....
              -Brad-
              89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
              sigpic
              Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

ya were talkin stock here. any electrical equiptment needed 4 the turbo?

and what pressure does the super charger put out? using stock pullies same crankpully and stock sc pully.

upon closer inspection of the engine bay... in basicly screwed 4 space if i put in a super charger. but i might find a way.

i like a challenge
                Last edited by alainman15; 01-27-2007, 03:16 PM.
                love my 3400

search "alainman15"

Comment

The stock 3800 SC out of a Grand Prix GTP will put out 8 psi. On a 3.1 it'll probably be more (same airflow on a smaller motor = more boost) so you might want to be prepared to get a slightly larger pulley to keep things reliable. The SC'ed 3800's were built for boost. The 60 degree's were not.
                  1995 Grand Am SE

Comment

Turbocharge a 3400, it's smaller than the 3800 SC, it's lighter and more efficient for example the naturally aspirated 3800 V6 produces about 10 more lb/ft of torque than the 3500 and the same amount of horse power, that's a tiny advantage having .3 more litres and at 7-8 psi you probably will not see any trouble with the smaller engine if the current blown engines performance is any indication. Having pretuned examples of the 3800SC available in my opinion is the only real advantage. The production turbo kit for the 3400 put down more average power at the wheels on 9 psi than the 3800SC is rated for at the crank. Give it some thought as to what you really want though.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael View Post
                      The stock 3800 SC out of a Grand Prix GTP will put out 8 psi. On a 3.1 it'll probably be more (same airflow on a smaller motor = more boost) so you might want to be prepared to get a slightly larger pulley to keep things reliable. The SC'ed 3800's were built for boost. The 60 degree's were not.
                      i hear you. that is why im trying to find out if the grand prix tgp's pistons are the same as my sunbird or not. (they were built 4 boost) if they are i dont see any problems. if they are stronger then ill buy some from GM (hope they still manufacture them) i have a knocking cylinder anyways, so y not.

there isnt anything else engine wise i need to do eh?

ya a larger pully would probley be a good idea.
                      love my 3400

search "alainman15"

Comment

To my knowledge (what little I have left, lol) no GM 60degree pistons were forged. I searched for myself only to find that you'll have to do one of three things :
                        1. Pay for custom pistons.
                        2. Use another manfucturers pistons and have them modified to fit.
                        3. Use hypereutectic piston which are better than cast, not as good as forged.
                        But with proper tuning I've seen 30PSI on cast pistons, although the first detonation in this motor was catastophic.
                        Have you thought about a remote mount turbo in place of your muffler?
                        I agree with the others that it's not going to be easy to get the 90 degree S/C to work on the 60. For a remote mount S/C, I've heard of guys using the Ford S/C because it is easier to make a flange for it. Have you looked into centrifical vs. roots, might be easier to fit in your cramped engine bay.
                        Links:
                        WOT-Tech.com
                        FaceBook
                        Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                          To my knowledge (what little I have left, lol) no GM 60degree pistons were forged. I searched for myself only to find that you'll have to do one of three things :
                          1. Pay for custom pistons.
                          2. Use another manfucturers pistons and have them modified to fit.
                          3. Use hypereutectic piston which are better than cast, not as good as forged.
                          But with proper tuning I've seen 30PSI on cast pistons, although the first detonation in this motor was catastophic.
                          Have you thought about a remote mount turbo in place of your muffler?
                          I agree with the others that it's not going to be easy to get the 90 degree S/C to work on the 60. For a remote mount S/C, I've heard of guys using the Ford S/C because it is easier to make a flange for it. Have you looked into centrifical vs. roots, might be easier to fit in your cramped engine bay.

i want 2 use hypereutectic piston because they arent as expensive as forged and i don't plan on boosting above 15 psi or using nos. so that is y im trying 2 find out what grade my pistons are. Are tgp pistons stronger or not?

and what exactly is a remote mount turbo?
                          love my 3400

search "alainman15"

Comment

Remote mount turbo is when you mount it away from the exhaust manifold. Some people will remove the muffler and tap into the exhaust there to supply the turbo with heat/gasses. You would have to figure out a way for oiling and for your intake charge to be routed back to the intake/TB here's some info (this was done on a Cavalier, similar to your platform)...
                            (Click here)
                            Again with good tuning, you should have no problem with the stock pistons. I am unsure if the GP pistons were different, to my knowledge there are NO forged pistons from a stock 60* .
                            Here's a link to the Relentless car that saw 30psi on cast pistons...
                            (Click here)
                            Last edited by ForcedFirebird; 01-28-2007, 12:46 PM.
                            Links:
                            WOT-Tech.com
                            FaceBook
                            Instagram

Comment

just so were clear im not looking 4 forged.

ill ask the gm parts guy here about the gp pistons think im gonna need bigger injector? higner octane (usin 87 right now) anthing else that i might b missing?

thx all 4 the help
                              love my 3400

search "alainman15"

Comment

Working...
                              X