turbo or supercharger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joseph Upson View Post
    First that's a beautiful bird, looks just like my 85 did, same color, I'd like to find a nice GTA.

I didn't forget anything, the couplers and optional external wastegate and BOV were included in the $150 extra. I use internal wastegates which have come with my turbos and as for an FMU I do all tuning in the chip, no add on fuel or timing management. When I'm consistently on a fast internet link I'll try to post my sources for good prices on parts particularly the silicone that gets very pricey. I've seen some ~$50 external wastegates and lower priced BOVs on Ebay however the problem is finding a reasonably priced fully adjustable unit as opposed to spring limited.

By using the internal along with the TGP solenoid setup I can program in desired boost levels over the RPM/MAP range. I also over estimated the tuning equipment costs to allow some price flexibility as well.
    Using MAP, how are you tuning accurately? I am trying to learn to burn now and having trouble finding good info on boosted MAP set-ups.
    Thanx for the props on the Firebird, I was infomed last night that the pics do it no justice by a member on another board that I met at the drag strip.
    I guess the $150 is a close estimate, I got my BOV for $32, WG for $82, and Silicone for $34. The turbos with internal WG's are more expensive, however, I got my turbo for $170 delivered (+$82 for WG = $252). Total invested excluding tools is right at $701 untill I order the pipes. I also saved some money by having a good friend that works at a CNC machine shop. Click on the link in my signature and there is a break-down of what was spent so far on the install.
    Links:
    WOT-Tech.com
    FaceBook
    Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph Upson View Post
      If you can do it yourself you'll save a good bit of money the first time you do it and even more each time after that:

MIG welder ~$250
      Saws all to cut tubing ~$35
      Mandrel bends/straight tubing ~$125 worth exhaust to turbo needs to be stainless or 14 gauge for longevity against the heat.
      Turbo ~$350
      Odds and ends ~$150

The most important items that is rarely mentioned in turbo projects because they are missing, GOOD, COMPLETE, TUNING, EQUIPMENT- a data logger and chip programming equipment ~$700 something with exhaust temp reading and wideband O2 sensing.

I've built enough turbo motors to know that for once I need to buy data logging equipment to find out exactly where changes need to be made and I'm going to take the Zeitronix route.
      k i can get access 2 most of those tools. except what are mandrel bend is it a bending proccess or a type of bent tube? u make it sound so cheap, is that american currency?
      Cars beaten in 1/4 mile: 06 Honda Civic DX
      love my 3400

check out my car at cardomain.com
      search "alainman15"

Comment

Mendrel bent tubing is when a pipe is bent and retains the same internal dimensions(to help flow), unlike typical exhaust systems that have a "crumpled" or "pinched" effect on the inside of the bend.
        Links:
        WOT-Tech.com
        FaceBook
        Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
          Using MAP, how are you tuning accurately? I am trying to learn to burn now and having trouble finding good info on boosted MAP set-ups.
          Thanx for the props on the Firebird, I was infomed last night that the pics do it no justice by a member on another board that I met at the drag strip.
          I guess the $150 is a close estimate, I got my BOV for $32, WG for $82, and Silicone for $34. The turbos with internal WG's are more expensive, however, I got my turbo for $170 delivered (+$82 for WG = $252). Total invested excluding tools is right at $701 untill I order the pipes. I also saved some money by having a good friend that works at a CNC machine shop. Click on the link in my signature and there is a break-down of what was spent so far on the install.
          You assumed correctly that I am using a 1 bar MAP, however that was the point of my mentioning the need for good tuning equipment to tune properly. My current turbo buildup will utilize the TGP bin file which is programmed for a 2 bar MAP. As for what I'm currently doing I use an air/fuel ratio meter and add fuel to the WOT part of the base fuel map, and the acceleration enrichment rpm table and then take a little timing out of WOT timing and it holds up pretty well. The air fuel meter is a must help feel your way around but data logging with a wideband O2 sensor is a must to get close to what it needs to be.

Comment

Working...
          X