X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine for streetrod

I'm a new guy here..

Hi everyone.
    I've got a '69 Vette with a 427 cu in small block hence the name, real name is keith.

I couldn't decide which engine forum to post in so I'm trying here...

So now I'm building a street rod, it's a 29 dodge body and I want it to be a comfy curiser that gets more that 10 mpg while looking really cool. Hopefully better than 30mpg but considering the '29's aerodynamics are probably >1 it might not happen!

So I'm making it as light as possible, hopefully about 2500 lbs and I'd really like to use an aluminum 60 degree v6. I'm not looking to have lots O power, I have the Vette for that, think Minivan power levels, so it seems a 3.1 or 3.4 would be ideal.
    The 60 v6 weighs like 350 lbs from what I've read, vs an LS1's 425lbs and an iron small block's 500+ lbs.

It looks like the camaro's 3.1 would be a good choice, I wish it had roller lifters, but whatever.

questions;
    Is the camaro v6 really aluminum?

are they reliable ( I have zero experience with them )

Is there a better RWD 60 degree engine choice?

Why can't I use a FWD engine in a RWD car? they seem to be more modern. and remember fuel economy is more important than power on this project.

Lastly pushrod vs DOHC, would the DOHC be worth the added expense?

Thanks in advance!
    Keith

How much are you looking to spend...?

Nothing like a brand new engine for a street rod, and it comes with the PCM!! And you can always sell the tranny to get some of the $$ back.

Now to answer some of your questions...

The Camaro V6s are actually all iron, including the heads. Until recently, only the FWD engines got the aluminum heads. But even they are an iron block. Only the new VVT engines are all aluminum.

BUT, since you are doing a custom setup, it wouldn't be hard at all to adapt a FWD engine to RWD. You can either drill the block to locate the starter on the opposite side, or find one of the 2-pocket bellhousings to bolt up to your tranny and keep it as is. I'm sure you'll be doing custom mounts, so that wouldn't be a problem. And the top end on the FWD engines can be easily rotated 180º to place the intake facing forward.

There have been a few people on here that have done similar things to you, so you will definately be able to get some answers. So I'd say start looking for a FWD setup and go from there.

And whatever route you go, please keep us posted!! I am very interested in seeing this car come together.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Now correct me if I'm wrong...

back in '99 I did a lower intake reseal on a '95 Acheiva. It had a lifter tick so I was going to replace the lifters, I bought what the part store gave me at the time and they looked like standard lifters. When I did the tear down I discovered this motor had roller lifters. I called the dealer and they said, "only Oldsmobile gets rollers"

Now I just bought and installled a 3400 from an '04 Alero and it had roller lifters and roller fulcrum rockers.
      sigpicHow to make High performance Emissions:
      A "true" High flow converter, straight pipe.
      Low/No flow EGR valve, block off plate.
      Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
      PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Comment

All gen3 3100/3400 have roller litfters and roller cam.
        sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
        1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
        16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
        Original L82 Longblock
        with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
        Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Oh I'll be around!
          But this is just starting, it will be a while!

Do the FWD engines have the same bell housings as RWD??
          I doubt I'd be down for making an adapter :P

Comment

Another choice is the all aluminum 3.5L Twin Cam (OHC? or DOHC? never tore it down) Oldsmobile flagship 24 Valve V6. Better known as the Baby Star, North Star V6, shortstar.. It is a stroker and most likely a 90 degree so report say.

It may be able to adapt to a RWD.

Heard something about 904 Jeep transmission will bolt up to all 60 degree v6's early or late model I don't know.
            Last edited by Juglenaut; 06-30-2006, 10:45 PM.
            I am back

Mechanical/Service Technican

Comment

you could go with the 3.6L DOHC VVT out of the 2005 cadilac cts , its rwd, and all aluminum, 260hp great fuel milage, and very quick, we have one at work, i love taking it out. im pretty sure its a new version of the 3.4 dohc.

Jake
              GM Goodwrench Tech - GM Certified

1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 3.4L DOHC , 5 Speed Manual Transmission , Turbonetics 62mm turbo, Turbonectics Evolution Wastegate , Turbonetics Raptor BOV , Large Front Mount Intercooler , AEM Methanol Injection , Car is running at 11PSI currently with methanol injection.

Runs 13.4 In the 1/4 with a 3 second 60 foot

Comment

Originally posted by 427v8
                Oh I'll be around!
                But this is just starting, it will be a while!

Do the FWD engines have the same bell housings as RWD??
                I doubt I'd be down for making an adapter :P
                The FWD and RWD engines have the same bell housing pattern, the only differance is that the starter is on the drivers side in a "FWD" type setup, and on the passenger side in a RWD setup. If the starter isn't in the way of anything, you could just run the starter on the drivers side like I'm doing. You just need to get the bellhousing that lets you do it, certain model S10's have the starter bulge on FWD side, and F bodies have the starter bulge on both sides.

I used the S10 bellhousing, mated up to a T5, I am using the DOHC 3.4 that came in the w bodies though. It has a meaner look then the pushrods for a hotrod type car in my humble opinion.

26+6=1

Comment

Excuse me. Oldsmobile motors are NOT North star! Never have been never will be. the 4.0 from olds is all olds, not chevy, or northstar. The DOHC's are weird and mainly from chevy. When I say weird I don't mean bad. Personally, my next 2 projects are a quad 4 in a yugo, and a 4.0 Olds in a probe.
                  Carbon canister and purge valve mod, place in large 30 Gallon can, cover, and place curbside, the city will do the rest.
                  PCV valve and vent tube, reroute to exhaust to dump where it belongs, on the ground. Or add breathers and let it all free.

Comment

Tranny from an Isuzu has the starter bump on the same side as the FWD, FYI. The only problem is the bell housing is intergral with the tranny housing, but it's a T5.

Comment

3.5l Oldsmobile Intrigue 1999-LATE
                      3.5l Twin Cam in Oldsmobile Flagship Aurora 2002-late

This engine was introduced by Oldsmobile which is GM.

Known as the Short Star Developed by GM which Makes Caddy's and the North Star V8. People call it many different things kind of like how to pronounce Getrag.

Do you ah google.
                      Last edited by Juglenaut; 07-03-2006, 01:44 PM.
                      I am back

Comment

From what I've been told, the 3.5 DOHC in the olds is like the 3.4 DOHC with more bore; which is just a fancy 2.8/3.1/3.4/3.5 push rod block? Developed by chevy. I'm not a chevy fan, sorry guys. I'm an old dieing breed of Olds nut.

Kind of like the 2.0/2.3/2.4 Quad 4. Love that motor.

You see originally I thought the 3.4 DOHC was an Olds motor but, everybody beens telling me differant. I got a big kick out of an olds motor being in a chevy when I thought it was an olds motor! the Z-34.

So what is it? Olds or chevy?

FYI. I'm playing with the 3.4 push rod motor because its all I got. I can't afford to build 1960-70 technology Olds motors. Otherwise, if I could...

This will blow your mind...
                        a 432ci. hemi, DOHC, all iron, gear driven cams, Oldsmobile Can-Am V-8 from the '60's. It only put out 1400+ HP. and the chevy 427 just couldn't do it.

Comment

3.5L twin cam must be a DOHC. You are not following me I will take a pic and post it soon. I will dig deeper>

The 24V 3.5L Twin Cam is based off the 32 valve North Star with similar block arrangement, it does not have some of the power options like VVT however.

The 3.5L Twin Cam is all aluminum. Gm LX5 3.5L 24 valve twin cam Shortstar V6.

Take a look at a Intrigue with one in it this was one that I found on cardomain:

This one:

A tree of sorts:
                          Answers is the place to go to get the answers you need and to ask the questions you want

Chevy Never used it, it is soley in only Oldsmobile Intrigues and the Aurora. It is an Oldsmobile engine now go raze someone else for awhile.
                          Last edited by Juglenaut; 07-04-2006, 01:49 AM.
                          I am back

Comment

not raze 'in ya! I was asking. Honest. I've got so much variable info I was going nutz. I was going to ask about the aluminum block too. Thanks for the info. now will the 3.5 DOHC stuff swap to a 3.4 DOHC?

Comment

nope. the 3.4 is a completely different beast.

i'd not hesitate for a second to use a 3.4 DOHC in a light old streetrod. i want to build a fiberglass t-bucket with one one of these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X