This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State Smoging regulations

I live in cali, my car will never pass smog after all the performance stuff I did to the engine. Does anyone know if oregon or nevada or any other near by state will let me register with out a smog or at least with less smog requirements. Thanks

2001 GA GT, supercharged!!!!!!!!!!

Heh... used to you could just bribe the emmissions guy... Now I think it's a felony.

Comment

I'm not sure what your trying to do but I don't think getting it inspected in anotehr state then getting it renewed in cali will work. I think you have to have it state inspected, and liscened.

Unless you are thinkign about moving else where...

Sometimes (here) if you go to a small country like shop they will just look over your brakes, horn/ lights etc, and if your exhaust isn't leaking/loud/obviosuly broken they pass you. But if you take it to most shops in town (custom muffler) that do inspections they will fail you for any and every little thing so they can sell you their services. My moms car had a hole in the heatshield of the cat, the cat wasn't leaking, and the hole wasn't even the size of a pencil eraser. They wanted to sell her 800 worth of exhaust manifolds, cats, and labor. When we said that's not a leak and won't cause a problem, they said they've had these cars before and it's a serious problem if not fixed soon the whole exhaust will break.. Obviously they didn't know what they were talking about or thought we were dumb. We went somewhere else.

Anywho, *maybe* but probably not since it's so strict in cali you could find a place that won't be so tough/thourough... but I doubt it.
      Last edited by IsaacHayes; 06-29-2006, 05:26 PM.
      sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
      1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
      16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
      Original L82 Longblock
      with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
      Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

I going to register my car in the state that has a very leinient smog inspection. Ill just get a P.O BOX and use that for my adress. But if you know what state Ican do that in the easiest I would apreciate it. Thanks.

Comment

Minnesota has no safety inspections and only requires a title to register vehicles.
          If it\'s fun, it\'s probably illegal and if it\'s illegal I\'m probably doing it.

92 Lumina Z-34
          89 Cavalier Z-24
          83 Camaro Z-28

Comment

Ok thanks,

Comment

In cali you have to reverse most mods every inpection.

I thought it was illegal to regsister in a state in which you don't live.

South Dakota does not allow interstate regsistration on private vehicles. Only commercial, and fleets. Must be listed as a resident, no PO loop hole.
              Last edited by Juglenaut; 07-02-2006, 12:27 AM.
              I am back

Mechanical/Service Technican

Comment

^^thats the way it is most places, need a physical address, PO box not good enough.

Comment

I was suprised at the inspection I had here in Cali.
                  $120 to pass any car, if you know what I mean.
                  I have the fender-cold-air-intake (it is custom but has a s/n) and he said it did not matter on my 95 MC b/c of the regultaions ...no pressure air filter or something? what ever not a problem.
                  He only charged $60 b/c everything worked out perfect with the rebuild.

I wonder if headers would automatically fail the visual?

For me, the hoodlums at jiffy lube told where to get the pass-all-special.
                  95 MC Z34 Black
                  Running strong with new engine, transmission, brakes and suspension.

Comment

All you have to do is register your car in a city in california that doesn't require a smog...

Thats right... I just bought a ford excursion from a guy who had an address in Borrego Springs (the desert) and lived on the coast. He has all his vehicles registered in the desert so he never has to smog them. Ever... All this is in the State of California!

Comment

Working...
                    X