X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic Jack

Magic Jack

Simple question in 2 parts. Anyone use it? And what are your reviews?

I installed it yesterday, and so far, pretty good. I am keeping my original land line for another month, just to check out all pros and cons.
    If you are driving a Chevy, everything else, is just a blur. 3.4 Carbon Footprint.
    sigpic

We have one at home and no land line.... it's okay. Would be much better if they worked like a Sipura ATA and plugged into a router instead of the computer. For the money it's a great deal. They are really handy if you travel, even international, and have access to high speed internet. My wife gave a couple to her sisters in the Philippines and they work well when the internet isn't bogged down.
    MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
    '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
    http://www.tcemotorsports.com
    http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

Yep. Just what I ws thinking. If nothing else, it is a great second line. I like the on line travel option. AT&T better be on guard.
      If you are driving a Chevy, everything else, is just a blur. 3.4 Carbon Footprint.
      sigpic

Comment

I know you already have the magic jack, but I would like to point out a lesser known alternative. Skype, I have had a standalone unit now for two years, and haven't had any complainants. Plus it has come in very handy when I was doing some overseas travels.
        I would however, like to know how the service is on Magic Jack. Since Verizon just bought Skype, and who knows how that will work out. Anyway not to thread jack, just thought I would add my two.

Edit: With Skype's ability to forward incoming calls to any number. I could forward my local number to a number say, in China. While I was in say, in China I could get a cheaper SIM card for my cell phone, and pay Skype's overseas rates. AT&T wanted 3 dollars a minute Skype only wanted $.02. Who can argue?
        Last edited by 91LQ1Lumina; 02-18-2010, 01:37 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

Try Google... FWIW: I briefly looked into this and heard BAD things about Magic Jack.. If I remember it was something about them collecting personal data. I decided to steer clear!!! Didn't like that thing hanging out of a USB port either!! And the computer must be running to use it..
          Just my feelings,,,,
          Tom....
          I guess it would come in handy if you travel...
          Last edited by walterdude; 02-18-2010, 01:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by walterdude View Post
            Try Google... FWIW: I briefly looked into this and heard BAD things about Magic Jack.. If I remember it was something about them collecting personal data. I decided to steer clear!!! Didn't like that thing hanging out of a USB port either!! And the computer must be running to use it..
            Just my feelings,,,,
            Tom....
            I guess it would come in handy if you travel...
            Agreed. I heard bad things about it. That and my friend had problems reinstalling his stuff for his so he had no phone for a while.
            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
            Originally posted by Jay Leno
            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Working...
            X