Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cadillac 4.5 into '88 Grand Prix.

Hey,
    I found a 1990 Cadillac 4.5 V8 with 95k miles. I would really like to put this in my Grand Prix. My question is, will it fit? I looked up the specs on both cars, the Caddy is wider by 1 inch. Is this going to prevent me from doing the swap? It comes with the transmission, harness, and computer, all for $150.
    What would I need to do to get this to work?
    I think for a "custom" Grand Prix, this would be great. Plus, I'm not finding any 2.8, 3.1, or 3.4 engines around here in my price range with these kind of miles. Any quick response/suggestions/ideas will be apperciated. Thanks!
    1988 Grand Prix - project
    1999 Ford Explorer 4x4 - daily driver
    sigpic

you CANNOT be serious...

those 4.5s were bigger boat anchors than the damn 3800s...
    1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
    Latest nAst1 files here!
    Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Yes I am.

My friend has an '89 Coupe De Ville that does really quite well. The Grand Prix is 400 lbs. lighter too. This is not a car for fuel economy or street racing, this is a "custom" car. I have every intention of making this into a one of a kind Grand Prix.
      I just want to know if it will fit. I will do all the work, and I can do some minor modifications if needed. If this will 100% not work, I will drop it. I would really like to do this swap. Thanks!
      sigpic

Comment

Hate to break it to you bud but a 4.5 is hands down rubbish.

Garbage when they were new and garbage now. $150 is tempting, but its a no-no.

Come on, aluminum block iron heads? The oil sump/ pressure system is a band aid joke, the computer has wayy to many auxilary "features" to try to crack. Its not really that powerful. (155 HP).

And, never ever once seen a cadillac not leak oil....

Comment

If you are going to change your mind every day on what motor you want to put in, I suggest clubgp or w-body.com for advice.
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

If you want caddy pushrod v8, I'd do the 4.9 before that motor.. At least it was all aluminum and had more power. My 3100 has 160hp stock lol
            sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
            1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
            16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
            Original L82 Longblock
            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
            Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

I am not changing my mind each day, I am just trying to find a cheap powerplant for my budget "custom" Grand Prix. I would rather have a 2.8, 3.1 or 3.4, but I can't seem to find one for under $250 with less than 150,000 miles. If I could get my hands on a wrecked '88-96 Grand Prix, Cutlass Supreme, or Beretta/Corsica I would jump on it.

I am just wanting to either repair my exsisting 2.8 or find a good-running, cheap 2.8, 3.1, or 3.4. Once again, if anyone has an engine that I could buy, let me know, Please! Thank you.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                clubgp or w-body.com
                thats kinda harsh, mentioning w-body and clubGP in the same sentence...
                1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
                Latest nAst1 files here!
                Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Heres a tip,

Look for engines in minivans (eg Chevy Venture). Nobody wants minivan parts, and Junkyards know this. They may be cheaper. But are a pain to pull.

Just an idea.

Comment

Not just an idea, that's a great idea. Nice one!

The '91-96 Lumina APV, and Pontiac Transport had the 3.1/3.4, and the '97-05 had the 3.4/3.8, so I think there are a lot of options. Thanks man!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Grand Prix View Post
                      Not just an idea, that's a great idea. Nice one!

The '91-96 Lumina APV, and Pontiac Transport had the 3.1/3.4, and the '97-05 had the 3.4/3.8, so I think there are a lot of options. Thanks man!
                      91-96 had 3.1/3.8 and the 97-up were 3400s...

but at least you were close.
                      Latest nAst1 files here!

Comment

Those are iron head 3.1s as well. The minivans have a bigger issue with the rear head since the van retains more heat in the engine bay. The 97-99 have the worst manifolds too but that is nothing considering you are replacing a 2.8.
                        Ben
                        60DegreeV6.com
                        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Ooops! Oh well.

Alright, I'll keep that in mind.
                          sigpic

Comment

Little bit of clarification on the Caddy motors. The 4.1/4.5/4.9 were all aluminum block and iron head. There were a couple of year-to-year difference in power, and differences depending on application. The 1990 4.5 is port fuel injection, as opposed to the '89 TBI, and as such makes more power—180 hp and 245 ft-lbs. The 4.5 used in the Allante had a different intake and made about the same power as the 4.9 that replaced the pedestrian 4.5 starting in '91—200 hp, 275 ft-lbs.

I'll contest the "boat anchor" comment, since Fiero guys have reported little to no change in weight distribution after swapping from their stock iron head 2.8. True, they're a little underpowered for their size, but not much else makes that power stock-for-stock except for the oft-maligned L67.

I would go ahead and get the 4.5 and its transmission, since it's such a low price. I would then acquire a crank, rods and pistons for a 4.9, since the 4.9 is a stroked 4.5, and rebuild it.

EDIT: The '96 U-vans had the 3400 as their sole engine choice, the first car to get one.
                            Last edited by LeftVentricle; 09-24-2009, 12:52 AM.
                            Kaiser George IX: 1996 Buick Century Special wagon. 213-SFI. 250k miles. Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. First documented LX9 swap in an A-body! Click here to read my build thread!

Comment

Shouldn't be hard to find an engine that would do the job.

Comment

Working...
                              X