X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirring noise

Hello,

Another strange noise post.

I bought this 99 Lumina with 3100 engine about 4-5K miles ago last year.

It's sorta a spare car, but I finally installed a new AC compressor on it so I am driving it again.

Since I bought the thing it has been making a "whirring noise" coming from either the engine or the transmission, a constant whirring noise, during idle, in park, or acceleration. Can't really hear it during highway speeds.

I've heard these type of noises mean something is wrong with the transmission, but it works great and shifts fine.

I've replaced the alternator, so it is new. Yet the noise persists. I guess I should check the belt tensioner, but it sounds like the engine or tranny.

I had an old car that made a similar noise one time, and it turned out to be a leaky exhaust manifold gasket.

I'm just wondering if I should be concerned. Input appreciated.

Could it be anything to do with the new AC compressor??
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
      Could it be anything to do with the new AC compressor??
      No, I don't think so. It was happening before and after new one installed.

Oh yeah, I guess I'm a sucker, but the guy that owned it before me said "its always done that."

Comment

the easy way to tell(if it has a pulley anyway):

take the belt off and spin everything possible by hand. if you hear something like it, you probably found it.
        1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
        Latest nAst1 files here!
        Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

Well, I looked at it tonight. Stuck my stethoscope thingy to several parts. Only places I can hear a distinct whine of any localized description is behind the alternator and the area around the front far-right spark plug boot.

Oh well, the car still works ok. I'll play detective more later.

Comment

you probably found your issue. thats about how alts sound when they're on their way out

as far as the far right side of the engine.... i'm not sure.

EDIT: actually the exhaust being where it is, that could also be it...

and since your alt is new, i'm not sure what to say.
            1995 Monte Carlo LS 3100, 4T60E...for now, future plans include driving it until the wheels fall off!
            Latest nAst1 files here!
            Need a wiring diagram for any GM car or truck from 82-06(and 07-08 cars)? PM me!

Comment

My car made that noise once... turns out the transmission was about out empty of fluid.

I never figured out where it went or why it hasn't lost any since...

anyways, check that.
              2001 Chevy Impala (3400)

Comment

I went to Dad's house this Sunday. He went outside to listen to it. He said it was the "Chevrolet noise" (lol) and nothing was wrong.

I popped the hood and he told me to turn the steering wheel. The pitch of the noise appeared to change when load was put on the pump, so, at this time, the noise appears to be the power steering.

Comment

Working...
                X