This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Prices and Hurricane Ike

According to the article, gas prices have risen nationwide by 7-8 cents a gallon today, the fourth day in a row for price increases. I'm not sure about other parts of the country, but that sure isn't accurate here! On my way to work yesterday, gas was at $3.43 at most stations. When I left work yesterday, most stations I passed were at $3.69. This morning on my way to work (can I just say I hate when I have to work on Saturday), depending on the station, it was anywhere from $3.75 to $3.99. And the damage has yet to be fully realized. And being so close to Texas, I'd say we get the majority of our gas from the Houston area (ok, so it does supply 25% of the US).

Add to this that reports this morning stated that over 2.5 million customers are without power in the Houston area, that means that all the refineries are without power, as well as all of the workers for the refineries. And its expected to take 3-4 weeks to get power back to all the customers. Yeah, the next few months gas prices are going to suck even more than they did just a couple months ago...
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

It appears tat around here in the 19608 area, the prices have not gone up.....yet.

That's ridiculous that the prices went up that high in your area. I guess I can understand a small increase in prices but an increase of 14% overnight. That's insane.

These piece of $h!t oil companies use any excuse to rape the customer.

Yesterday there was mention on CNN of a gas station in Florida already charging over $5 a gallon. They're being investigated for gouging. In my opinion the best penalty for that station would be to shut them down for a week.
    1995 "Driftwood Metallic" Cutlass Ciera

Mods: K&N airfilter, Addco Front & Rear Swaybars, 2.5" cat-back exhaust w/ Hooker Aerochamber muffler.

Down the road: Cam(?), 3400 ported UIM & LIM, ported heads.

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
      http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/13/news...ex.htm?cnn=yes

According to the article, gas prices have risen nationwide by 7-8 cents a gallon today, the fourth day in a row for price increases. I'm not sure about other parts of the country, but that sure isn't accurate here! On my way to work yesterday, gas was at $3.43 at most stations. When I left work yesterday, most stations I passed were at $3.69. This morning on my way to work (can I just say I hate when I have to work on Saturday), depending on the station, it was anywhere from $3.75 to $3.99. And the damage has yet to be fully realized. And being so close to Texas, I'd say we get the majority of our gas from the Houston area (ok, so it does supply 25% of the US).

Add to this that reports this morning stated that over 2.5 million customers are without power in the Houston area, that means that all the refineries are without power, as well as all of the workers for the refineries. And its expected to take 3-4 weeks to get power back to all the customers. Yeah, the next few months gas prices are going to suck even more than they did just a couple months ago...
      I would expect refinaries to be a bit more savvy than that and have some kind of back up power system considering they wouldn't have to buy gas from anyone to run a Mega generator.

What's really interesting is how dramatically increasing gas prices based solely on projected demand/supply as a result of a bad storm is called capitalism, but when the little guys raise the price of their generators, bottled water, etc under the same circumstances it's called gouging.

There is a fair and equivacle way of doing buisness as it relates to the consumer, unfortunately the money makers are not interested in it and the people of this country not organized and unified enough to come together and make a difference. Can you imagine the power that say 1000 people coming together and saying to $85 a month cable t.v. premiums, we're not going to take it anymore and then collectively terminating their cable service? Let's see 1000 x $85 mo = $85,000 mo less to the company and if you can hold out, 1 million dollars per year loss. I bet that will turn some heads towards a price structure change.

When all goes digital next year we'll probably see another price bump. I just hate how the public is taken advantage of without so much as an explanation or the common descency of at least having price hikes corrolate with the inflation margin.

The govt. lets the system work itself out at the expense of the american public, even if it means people loosing their jobs, homes and even families as a result of the stress. The problem with this country is that politics is out of the hands of the people most capable of making a difference, those of us who are actually at the mercy of economic down turn. To a politician the current gas prices amount to a decision to take the Limo instead of the helicopter.

Comment

3.60 couple days ago and last night I drove past a station that had it for 4.40. 20 more cent and it would have been a full dollar hike .
        Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by 1988GTU View Post
          3.60 couple days ago and last night I drove past a station that had it for 4.40. 20 more cent and it would have been a full dollar hike .
          4.40!!!!! Report them for gouging!!! That's ridiculously overpriced.
          1995 "Driftwood Metallic" Cutlass Ciera

Mods: K&N airfilter, Addco Front & Rear Swaybars, 2.5" cat-back exhaust w/ Hooker Aerochamber muffler.

Down the road: Cam(?), 3400 ported UIM & LIM, ported heads.

Comment

y'all are really going to hate this then..... In my town (Brazoria) when they ran out of regular, they dropped the price of premium down to the same as regular. I took a pic with my phone. If I can figure out how to get it out, I will post it.
            Taylor
            1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
            1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
            1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
            1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
            "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

Was midgrade higher than premium?
              Ben
              60DegreeV6.com
              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

no. They were all the same price. When I got done fueling with premium, the guy next to told me they were out of mid.
                Taylor
                1988 Olds Cutlass Supreme 3100 MPFI
                1990 Pontiac Grand Prix STE 3.1 MPFI
                1994 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible
                1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
                "find something simple and complicate it"

Comment

went up 15 cents today.
                  sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
                  1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
                  16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
                  Original L82 Longblock
                  with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
                  Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

Originally posted by 3100 MPFI View Post
                    no. They were all the same price. When I got done fueling with premium, the guy next to told me they were out of mid.
                    Mid-grade is usually just a mix of regular and premium done at the pump.
                    Your local OBDII moderator

2000 Grand Am GT w/ WOT parts

Comment

Still 3.49 in RI in some area's yet is 3.89 in CT... seriously WTF is wrong with this country.

I wish I could go back 5 years...
                      Last edited by 3400-95-Modified; 09-16-2008, 09:42 AM.

Got Lope?
                      3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
                      Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
                      Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
                      12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

5 years? I remember when Bill Clinton was in office, gas was ~ $.98/gallon :P
                        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                        Originally posted by Jay Leno
                        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Gas companies can do it because no matter what the price is everyone will still use the same amount of gas. Until people change their ways gas companies will remain the same.
                          1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                          1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                          Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by pocket-rocket View Post
                            5 years? I remember when Bill Clinton was in office, gas was ~ $.98/gallon :P
                            Bill Clinton FTW

i remember the times of those prices. i could drive around all day and fill the tank for 15.
                            sigpic
                            99 Grand Am GT
                            3400/3500 -Solid trans mount--TCE 65mm T-body---85mm LS2 maf---1 1/4' TCE intake spacers with 3400 upper--SLP Catback with flowmaster 80--TOG headers
                            Modded 3400 lifters with LT1 springs---Comp Cams 26986 Springs
                            1357 cam 227 233 .050 dur
                            515 515 lift 112 lsa
                            15.232@88.85mph on stock 3400---New time to come

Comment

When I first started driving (which really wasn't that long ago), I remember paying as low as $0.80/gal. Its nice to see the price of oil going down steeply lately. In a few months, we might actually see prices come back down again, probably well below the $3 level as well. I just wonder, now that people have adapted to driving less, smaller and more fuel efficient vehicles, etc.. if everyone will change course again and go back to their old ways.
                              -Brad-
                              89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                              sigpic
                              Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Working...
                              X