This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The end of an Era

Well folks... My day's of being a Malibu owner have come to an end... let me restate that. My days of having a running Malibu that I will ever drive again have come to an end. My car has given me nothing but electrical problems since roughly March (much of which I blame on Van's Chevrolet as I had no problems until I had my car towed there due to a bad BCM).

3 Months ago my car was damaged by a blown semi truck tire tread that hit my car as I was traveling down the freeway. This dented my hood, took out my stock grill, cracked my kit, and ripped out the plastic coverings that protect your inner-wheel well.

I recently (last week) decided "Hey, It's Monsoon season. Az is getting a lot of rain and I could suck water up really easy into my CAI without those plastic wheel well liners." So 20 dollars later they are on my way from Rock Auto. I received them Thursday afternoon, but with night class decided to leave it for last Saturday. All was great in the land of Malibuland until the ride home... when Phoenix received such a storm that we actually got hail... HAIL... GOLF BALL SIZE HAIL... IN PHOENIX/SCOTTSDALE....

Before I finish this story let me remind you that AZ does not make its drainage systems for flash flooding... or really rain of any sorts.... Water pretty much sits where it lies.

As I was driving home I hit a puddle of water on the freeway that I would have to estimate as being 2 inches, maybe 3 inches deep. My car instantly shorted and my power went out on the car. I coasted like this from 60 MPH down to 0. I restarted my car only to hear it knocking terribly. Something was definately wrong.... 5 Hours later me and the Malibu were dropped in front of my house, me soaking wet just wondering what happened to my car and how much this one was going to cost me. I researched everything to do for hydrolocking and immediately decided to change the oil. What came out looked like Orange Juice. The Mobil 1 Synthetic 15000 mile oil I had just put in my car the week before looked like orange juice... and it wasnt just the 5 quarts I had put in, but was actually more like 11. All I could really say was F me. I then took my plugs out, sprayed wd-40 and waited overnight. I changed the oil, cranked it with the plugs out to get out any extra water that could still be in there and finished by installing new plugs. The "fool proof" trick that everyone swears by definately did not work and the car still ran with horrible knocks. Definately Bottom end... Definately not fixing that this time...

In the end I am left with a malibu in my driveway that I will be parting out. I mean I will be parting out everything so keep up on this board and others for parts. I will be ripping the motor apart to see if there is any top end damage but considering my car only traveled 25 yards to a stop I doubt there will be any.

Parts to expect to see for sale are

Goodrich Braided Brake lines for those who did a Rear disk swap
    RSM Slotted rotors for front and back
    Rear disk brake hubs
    RSM Strut bar for the front
    RSM 62 MM Throttle Body
    RSM ported 3100/3400 upper intake manifold Vin J style
    Racetronix Fuel pump and electric harness used less than 500 miles
    Mr. Alternator High Output Alternator that has recently been serviced by Mr. Alternator and has a Lifetime warranty on it.
    Eiback Lowering Springs on KYB GR2 Struts with less than 10,000 miles on them
    17"mille miglia rims with gorilla lugs/ will need resurfacing & new tires
    60Degreev6 Stage 3 port and polished heads, custom pushrods, and hopefully I will get that cam out of the block as well (230 WHP-Ben has DynoSheet to back up)
    Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI
    Fuel Pressure Regulator replaced 500 miles ago
    3 Standard Coils and Standard DIS electrical replaced 500 miles ago
    Ultra Brite White LED Gauge Cluster/Bulbs available instead as well.
    Fast Forward Performance Crankshaft Pulley &Gator Belt

Something you all will want:

A combo exhaust kit made up of the very hard to find ceramic coated "The Other Guy" Headers, A magnaflow Hi-Flow Cat and 2 Standard O2 Sensors with less than 500 miles on them.

I plan on selling the kit, grill, muffler & tip and custom amp rack and rear deck panel that allows 6 1/2" components locally as another combo unit.
    Last edited by cwahl; 09-05-2008, 03:22 AM.

I am going to be honest with you. You need a new engine to get it back in working order. From the sounds of it, your engine tried compressing water in the cylinder bores. You rods should all be bent and bearings spun too.
    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by cwahl View Post
      I researched everything to do for hydrolocking and immediately decided to change the oil. What came out looked like Orange Juice. The Mobil 1 Synthetic 15000 mile oil I had just put in my car the week before looked like orange juice... and it wasnt just the 5 quarts I had put in, but was actually more like 11.
      Classic signs of coolant in the oil. That's what wiped out your bearings. The rain storm was just the final straw.
      Your local OBDII moderator

2000 Grand Am GT w/ WOT parts

Comment

ya but i had just done the oil change the weekend before and checked the oil that night on my way to school at a gas station with 0 dexcool apparent.

Comment

Sounds like a blown intake gasket... No way can you suck up enough water in the intake to put a 5qt pan to 11qt worth of fluid... doesnt even sound like the motor ran long enough to pump that much water past the rings.

Got Lope?
          3500 Build, Comp XFI Cam 218/230 .050 dur .570/.568 lift 113LSA
          Fully Balanced, Ported, 3 Angle Valve Job, 65mm TCE TB, S&S Headers.
          Stage-1 Raybestos/Alto 4t60e-HD, EP LSD, 3.69FDR
          12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

You should just rebuild it man. 230whp must be fun!!! Too bad none of the parts you are parting out I can use!!
            sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
            1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
            16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
            Original L82 Longblock
            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
            Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

222 whp on a 1280 grind... Not too shabby...

I would definately look in to it more... Granted that doesnt help with the truck tire damage but still I wouldn't junk something like that. You out performed Milzy's stuff.

Got Lope?
              12.61@105 Epping NH Oct 2015 Nitrous 100shot (melted plugs) 13.58@98.8 N/A 3200LBS

Comment

Very sorry to hear of this. Your car inspired me to virtually mail my Visa to Ben @ WOT for a very similar setup.

Edit:
                I wonder if you had a water jacket fail and empty coolant into one of the cylinder bores......
                Last edited by mfuller; 09-05-2008, 02:00 PM.
                Matt
                2000 Oldsmobile Alero GLS sedan
                3400/3500 hybrid, Diamond Racing forged pistons, Scat I-beams, TCE DRTC, ported heads, WOT Race cam, PAC 1518s, Manley valves, F40 6-speed with Quaife LSD

Comment

lol... i thought that too. only my coolant levels are normal.

I am actually really thinking of selling the heads, pushrods, and cam as a kit... not to undersell ben or anything but i need to recoupe some money.

Comment

If I had money I would buy the heads and lower intake... I know my porting isnt up to snuff compared to Bens.

That is if it was 3500 stuff... You didnt note that.

Got Lope?

Comment

Another engine should only cost you like 300-500 tops looking in the right place. I would give it another shot. If I was closer, I would give you a hand installing it.
                      Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

... i wish. this car has just seen too much and has had too many electrical problems to keep me wanting it much longer.

Comment

Working...
                        X