This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAST HELP Needed! Gascap Stuck On!

I bought a locking gas cap at Autozone a few years ago, it's been working fine. Today I go to get gas and I turn the key to unlock it and I turn the cap, and it's very hard to turn, and it "clicks". I try the key again, lock it, unlock it, still won't come off. I play with it and notice that when I am turning the key the whole key cylinder moves up and down. I have tried pressing on it/pulling on it while unlocking, no luck.

I have about a gallon of gas left in my tank, Low Fuel light is on, and this cap is stuck!

HOW DO I GET THIS OFF?!?
    SpudFiles
    Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
    Theopia
    Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
    3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Probably going to have to drill it. Sounds like a tumbler is stuck and rotating the entire cylinder.
    Links:
    WOT-Tech.com
    FaceBook
    Instagram

Comment

Would the little metal flap under the cap protect from shavings? I called a shop to see if they had any tricks for something like this and they suggested a locksmith since they wouldn't drill on it, said it would end up putting a bunch of shavings in my tank.
      SpudFiles
      Theopia
      Enjoy life online.

3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

use a torch to get the cap off.....trust me
        The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

Comment

Originally posted by PCGUY112887 View Post
          Would the little metal flap under the cap protect from shavings? I called a shop to see if they had any tricks for something like this and they suggested a locksmith since they wouldn't drill on it, said it would end up putting a bunch of shavings in my tank.
          Well seeing that the bottom of the cap should be sealed to the tank, you should be fine.

Otherwise, use a slap hammer and screw the end into the key hole and bang it out. You need to get the cylinder out somehow (like breaking into a trunk).

I don't know if a torch is a good idea with gas fumes.
          Links:
          WOT-Tech.com
          FaceBook
          Instagram

Comment

Well ended up being able to pop the cylinder loose, which in turn made the entire face of the cap rip apart, then used pliers to turn the piece that has the threads in the filler neck and it came off.

Thanks.
            SpudFiles
            Theopia
            Enjoy life online.

Comment

Drive a screwdriver into it,opened every time I've did it.
              '86 S10 Blazer 4WD, '87 2.8 with 3.1 crank and pistons, A.R.I. "Stage 2 Cam", Iron Heads with stiffer springs, Holley TBI, Manifold bored to fit the TBI Base(4.3 size), Fiero Covers, MSD Coil, DynoMax Muffler and 2.5 Tailpipe, no cat, Auburn Limited Slip, 3.73 final Drive. 700R. '85 Fiero GT 3.4 Hybrid, relieved top intake and exhaust, 57mm TB, Auto. 3.06 final drive.

Comment

Working...
              X