This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scam?

I recieved a text message on my phone about my car for sale...

the other day, asking me to email them back (a yahoo address) with details and such about the car. I did, then they wanted a lower price. I don't have time to mess around with this car forever over a few hundred bucks, so I told them $2200

I get a call later on from an out of state number, it's a machine saying "we are interested in your car, blah blah, please hold for a representative" where I waited and listened to music for a few moments, then it disconnected me. Later on that day I get a voicemail on my phone (no ring, just a voicemail) with the same music on it from the same number.

Today I get this email from the guy...

Hi,

Thanks for your timely response.First of all, i must apologize for not replying your mail earlier than now. This was because
    i was waiting for confirmation from my client. I have finally spoken to him, and i have good news to tell you.I have forwarded
    the features of your vehicle to my client and after evaluation and due to time constraint on the fact that we are running
    short of time.I'm delighted to tell you that my client has recommended your vehicle with full interest and he has instructed
    me to carry on with the transaction rest on my shoulder.
    He also instructed me to inform you that payment will get to you in a cashiers check of $5,500, Which will cover the cost of
    the car and also the cost of shipment.
    So you are required to deduct the cost of your vehicle ( car) $2,200 when payment gets to you and refund balance $3,300 to
    the Agent (our shipper ) for him to be able to offset shipping & tax charges, and other cosmetic repair costs. Now we really
    need your Truth & Honesty in refunding the balance to the shipper. After payment has reached you and balance sent to shipper,
    the shipper's agent will come for inspection, pick up (of vehicle & signing of title papers), make some cosmetic touches and
    drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer.
    Please confirm this and forward the following informations;
    Name:.........
    Your Address:.............
    Phone number:............
    For payment to be made and send to you as soon as possible.
    Your honesty, understanding and co-operation will
    be highly appreciated.

Below are details of my client,
    Frank Douglas
    1st Floor,Ladywell House
    Newtown,Powys,SY16 1JB
    Cell; 009447045723025
    Have a wonderful day.
    Frank Marshal
    5210 Kietzke Lane, Suite 100 Reno, Nevada 89511

Soo how much of a scam does this sound like?
    SpudFiles
    Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
    Theopia
    Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
    3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Aha, the power of google tells me...

-The address for the "client" is a government building in Wales (UK)

-The international calling code prefix on the "client" phone number goes to any of these 4 areas

Hong Kong
    Taiwan
    Colombia
    Nigeria

Watch out for scammers!
    Last edited by PCGUY112887; 10-29-2007, 06:18 PM.
    SpudFiles
    Blast vegetables and whatever else you can think of!
    Theopia
    Enjoy life online.

1996 3500GP Coupe, "Bright White".
    3500 swap, 60degreeV6 1393 Cam, Ported Intakes, Comp Cams Valve Springs, 65mm TB, Custom Pushrods, S&S Headers, 97 PCM with DHP Powrtuner, 2.5" back to dual Hooker Aerochambers, SS Brake Lines, Addco swaybar, KYB's, Intrax Springs, STB's, etc!

Comment

If you get anything from Nigeria run! There are some people there than can put our worst con artist to shame. When you can claim you have breast cancer as part of a scam and then defend the country of Nigeria when it is guessed correctly that you are probably from Nigeria given the nature of the claim you are truly special. I think it's about time I email the individual again to see if she's still alive.

Comment

that stinks like a scam.
        Lots of mods cost lots of $$
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2598719/1

Comment

Fake cashiers checks are the latest scams. You deposit it and your bank gives you instant credit. You send them the refund but they never pick the car up. After 2 or 3 weeks you get an overdraft statement from your bank saying the cashiers check was no good. In the end you are left being responsible for the full balance of the cashiers check. RUN AWAY VERY FAST. If you prefer not to run, I will send you a cashiers check for $10,000 and you can just send me back $5,000.
          MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
          '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
          http://www.tcemotorsports.com
          http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

News report about this scam on CBS

Comment

Its a Nigerian Scam...they will give you a fake check, you cash it(or attempt to) you get the money, you give them the left over money after the sale. Then the bank realizes the check is fake and charges you all kinds of check fraud/bounce fees in addition to the money you got from the check. You are then raped.
              --------
              The only reason they gave you this info:
              Frank Douglas
              1st Floor,Ladywell House
              Newtown,Powys,SY16 1JB

is because Moneygram or Western Union needs an address and Name to send money...not to mention if you wire over $2000 your will be tracked by the buisness sending money....over $2500 and you will be tracked by the fbi for the next 7(i think) years.
              Last edited by Z3R0; 10-31-2007, 09:24 AM.
              Originally posted by wozxx...{is 92 mph in a school zone illegal?}
              I was going relatively fast thru a school zone and was caught. However, I managed to zip into a neighborhood and evade the cop. Could I get additional tickets by trying to run?

Comment

They have already tried to do that to my sister in-law it is a scam period.
                I am back

Mechanical/Service Technican

Comment

being a banker i can say it is a scam

hell we dont even take cashiers checks for same day availability. You might want to change your # or your email.. probably both as they seem to continually try to restrike once they know you have shown some sort of response.

Comment

Working...
                  X