This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnesium Chloride

The paint job on my car is literaly falling off of my car, this is the factory paint job.

Who else here disapproves of Magnesium Chloride?
    2001 Chevy Impala (3400)

i'd prefer my car's paint looking a bad to having my car wrapped around a tree
    3.4L camaro some goodies

Comment

Well more specifically my question is, would you prefer magnezium chloride to say, salt, or sand, etc.
      2001 Chevy Impala (3400)

Comment

the problem with salt is it doesnt work below -6*c (22*f). all sand does is give a little traction.

this winter we had a real bad storm and we had 2" thick ice on the freeway and it was too cold for salt. they had to bring the trucks from the mountains to spread magnesium cloride and get the graders out to chip the ice off. i didnt drive in it, however i did drive on the roads once the ice way clear before we got a rainstorm to wash it all off. after the first big rainstorm, the roads got washed off and i jacked my car up and hosed it off with the pressure washer. even so, my exaust system thats less than 2 years old is now rotting off my car. i would still rather they did that then end up dead in a ditch

Comment

Up around where I live, there have been several times in which the magnesium chloride froze over as if it were water. Apparently it becomes ineffective at a certain temperature.

Sorry to hear about your exhaust system sharkey.
          2001 Chevy Impala (3400)

Comment

I think they use calcium chloride here, but either way, the roads are so slick after they do it because it sucks moisture out of the air and becomes this slime on the roads.

I've seen lots of wrecks when the roads are "dry" but then later look like it rained from it, and cars are just sliding off the road for no apparent reason. I've turned just coming out of a parking lot and slide with no steering towards a curb before on the stuff...

Anyone else experience that?
            sigpic New 2010 project (click image)
            1994 3100 BERETTA. 200,000+ miles
            16.0 1/4 mile when stock. Now ???
            Original L82 Longblock
            with LA1, LX9, LX5 parts
            Manifold-back 2.5" SS Mandrel Exhaust. Hardware is SS too.

Comment

hmm, salt doesnt work below 22 and they use MagCl? that stuff is worse than nothing at lower temps, too. here, they use sand when its colder, but its more like freaking gravel. i cringe every time i see a sand truck or "sand" on the road. magcl is bad for electrical but doesnt rust stuff like salt.
              91 GTP HM-284 GONE
              96 Special Edition LQ1/4T60E GONE

98 Spawn of Satan (L67 Regal)
              87 V10 SM-465/Mild 350
              06 Cobalt SS/SC GONE

Comment

hell around here they will use cinders first cause the cities and counties can get it free from the local power plant(s).
                2004 Grand Am GT 3400 ... I had the right to remain silent, I just didn't have the ability.(Ron White)

Comment

Sand and cinters.

I knocked the muffler off the Olds getting across one of the 28" deep drifts, in town. The city here was debating who should plow and clear the main road as it is a state road, and the city managed to lose alot of money. Then whined that it took 54K to clean it all up. But by dammed, they threatened everyone (including me) who didn't shovel their walks with a ticket.

But that aside, they use Mag on the interstate around here and in the mountains, my paint is still fine. But I usally wash the cars at least once a month and pull them into our shop to dry and clean.

Comment

Originally posted by ahazuarus View Post
                    The paint job on my car is literaly falling off of my car, this is the factory paint job.

Who else here disapproves of Magnesium Chloride?
                    Are you sure it is the magnesium chloride, and not just crappy GM paint?
                    '99 Z-28 - Weekend Driver
                    '98 Dodge Neon - Winter Beater
                    '84 X-11 - Time and Money Pit
                    '88 Fiero Formula - Bone stock for now

Quote of the week:
                    Originally posted by Aaron
                    This is why I don't build crappy headers. I'm not sure, I don't know too much about welding.

Comment

I am not sure what they use around here, but it works good. However my Cavy has rust holes starting in the floor...
                      I am back

Mechanical/Service Technican

Comment

Working...
                      X