This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another customer neglect

Alright, another 'extreme' case of customer negligence . . . customer brings in his Bronco looking to have the brakes checked out. Complaining that it takes a while for the vehicle to stop. He also mentioned that it was making a grinding noise a long time ago, but the noise went away and the vehicle stops, so . . .

Anyways, check out what we found:

Like that rotor, huh? Caliper was seized, also. Well, what "COULD'VE" been fixed with probably just cutting the rotors and installing some pads (before it ever started going metal to metal), turned into a massive repair bill consisting of new rotors, pads, calipers, brake hoses, front bearings and seals, 4x4 hubs (toasted them, too), and the LF aluminum factory wheel had to be replaced (what was left of the rotor had rubbed a small pinhole in the inside of the wheel, it was leaking air); For the rear: new brake shoes and cut drums (heat glazed, and cracked from being overworked), new brake hardware, and new wheel cylinders. I also recommended replacing the master cylinder and the rear brake hose (might as well), but the customer didn't want to spend that little extra.

So, the moral of this story: HAVE YOUR SHIT CHECKED OUT REGULARLY!!!

N-body enthusiast:
    {'87 Grand Am SE - 3.0 90* v6} / {'93 Grand Am LE - 3.3 90* v6}
    {'98 Grand Am SE - 2.4 Q4} / {'99 Grand Am GT1 - 3400 60* v6}

Current Project:
    {'90 Chevrolet C1500 Sport 350TBI}

I hope you rammed him good on the labor while you were at it.
    Brian

'95 Cutlass Supreme- "The Rig"
    3400 SFI V6, 4T60e
    Comp Cam grind, LS6 valve springs, OBD2 swap, Tuned
    2.5" DP/ 2.5" dual exh/ Magnaflow Cat/ crap mufflers/ 3500 Intake manifold/ 65mm TB
    TGP steering Rack/ 34mm Sway Bar/Vert STB/ KYB GR2's

'08 Chevy Trailblazer SWB 1LT "Smart Package"- LH6 5.3L V8/4L60e, A4WD

Comment

good lord! That's amazing.
      Robby Whitesell
      2006 Pontiac G6 GT
      1985 Toyota Pickup DLX

Comment

im surprised that sheot didnt lock the wheel

Comment

That is pretty freakin extreme. Does the rest of the truck look to be in the same condition?
          Ben
          60DegreeV6.com
          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Reminds me of my former brother-in-law, who was 16, that had a Vega in need of front pads. Left front was metal to metal but it didn't keep him from driving. It finally wore down so far that the pad slipped by the anchor, the piston got cocked sideways in the bore and locked up the wheel. Still didn't stop him... he and his friend thought they could make it home with it locked up. They made it, about 5 miles. The tire popped, the rim melted up around the rotor, killed the lower ball joint and about 2 inches of the rotor was gone. His dad used a torch to disassemble the thing. Needless to say, he was in deep shit and didn't drive for quite a while.
            MinusOne - 3100 - 4T60E
            '79 MGB - LZ9 - T5
            http://www.tcemotorsports.com
            http://www.britishcarconversions.com/lx9-conversion

Comment

I have an 83 Bronco that decided to destroy the right front bearings while coming home from work. Didn't know this until I stopped to get gas and while I was leaving the lot, the right side inner brake pad fell out. Brake pedal went straight to floor and I never stopped at the intersection. Bear in mind this was in the middle of winter with 4" of snow on the roads. I made it through the intersection untouched only because few drivers were out. Once I got the truck stopped I looked at the right front and it was sitting at least 1" away from the backing plate. The only thing holding the wheel on was the caliper. It destroyed the hub, 4x4 lock and spindle (bearings were welded to it). Fun times changing all of that out while outside in 32* weather.
              Your local OBDII moderator

2000 Grand Am GT w/ WOT parts

Comment

That is pretty freakin extreme. Does the rest of the truck look to be in the same condition?
                Believe it or not, aside from it being a typical rust-bucket Ford, it's in decent shape.

And we charged the hell outta him for labor. It took me 2 hours just to get that one rotor off. The caliper had seized in a cock-waded way so that it wouldn't slide past the knuckle like it was intended. The piston wouldn't go back into it's bore, and trying to open up the bleeder - well, that broke right off the caliper and was rusted. I had to take the brake hose off the steel line, and even then it didn't want to move. So I went ahead and disassembled the 4x4 hub, which was a pain, the heat from the caliper had baked all the grease out, so the bearing lock nuts didn't want to give it up. I think I used almost a whole can of PB*Blast on that side. But once I got the hub apart, I managed to prybar the remainder of the rotor from out of the caliper, then I had to beat the caliper out of the knuckle. It was a freaking hadache job, I'll tell you!
                N-body enthusiast:

Current Project:

Comment

ribbed, for her pleasure?
                  26+6=1

Comment

YEa, ive seen this one happen before. It never ceases to amaze me how dumb some poeple are. A few others- Some one took the upper radiator hose off of thier car beacease it was leaking.... AND DROVE IT LIKE THAT!!!! THen they couldnt figure out why it was overheating so they brought it in. Cold air intake with no filter..another dumbass. "Cold" air intake located directly above the exhaust manifold. SOme lady brough her car in saying that it made a loud "thud" in the rear whenever cornering..... "we'll ma'am, we took the bowling ball out of your trunk for you..." the list goes on.....

Comment

youve be surpriced how much of that stuff we see at work... lol i think its hilarious
                      sigpic
                      97 cutlass supreme
                      3100 sfi
                      cai
                      ud pulley
                      pu dogbones
                      #14 rapidfires
                      magnacore wires

Comment

yeah, I've seen brake similar numerous times before, where the pad lining has gone metal to metal and cut into the rotor's cooling veins; but this is the first one I've seen that actually cut the disk away from the rotor hat

I'm surprised it didn't vibrate it's ass off down the road
                        N-body enthusiast:

Current Project:

Comment

ive seen a couple like that too. one moron actually started using his ebrake and when that failed.. ( yup he did ) started using reverse. and no it wasnt iciey out either.
                          It's what under the hood that counts...

Life is like a quart of 5w-20!!!

Comment

My dads work had a guy come in for Warranty just a couple weeks ago. He drove 75,000 KM in a NEW vehicle and did not change the oil even once. He took it in and complained the engine was making a weird sound and had no power.

The first thing they did was check the oil. Well there was no reading so they pulled the cam/valve cover (Eco Tec) and all they saw was a mound of sludge and each time the cam moved the rocker under the sludge you could see the sludge move. My dad said it looked like the BLOB from the movie.

The guy freaked out and was pissed they would not replace the engine under warranty so they put a flag on the VIN number and sent out E-Mails with pics and a video to all the dealers warning them of the situation.

Some people make you wonder.
                            1993 EXT. CAB, 3.4L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. Sonoma
                            1990 4Door, 3.2L V6 TBI, 5spd manual. 4X4. Trooper
                            Because... I am, CANADIAN

Comment

yeah, people are friggin fook-tards, I swear

We had a guy coupla years ago, drive from his home somewhere upstate PA to here so he could visit a friend or something like that. It's a 450 mile trip. '96 Ford E(xt)ort, original owner. Drove the whole way with the 'check oil' light on. Motor grenaded 20 miles out of the city, in Newport News, on i64 at 5:00 in the afternoon. Intake cam had seized and the intake valve on cyl 4 had a little bit of a run-in with the piston. Piston shattered and broke apart into the oil pan, force of the impact cracked the cylinder head around cyl 4.
                              Anyways, we told the guy he needs a motor and asked him, "Didn't you notice the dash light?" His reply "Yeah, . . . but I thought it meant I needed an oil change."
                              I told him no, it meant you've got to check the oil, somethings wrong; I told it says so in his owners manual. No shit, his response was: "I have an owner's manual?"

. . .

. . .

. . .

Originial owner here, y'all - didn't even know he had an owner's manual. I retrieved it from out of the glove box where the dealership had placed it, and seriously, the pages creaked as you turned them like a brand new book tends to do. Never been opened. I swear they should make "Basic vehicle maintenance and care" a required 18 week course in high school, before you get your liscense.
                              N-body enthusiast:

Current Project:

Comment

Working...
                              X