Masda RX7 repower project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masda RX7 repower project

I am new to this form all though not new to projects like this. I have worked with small block fords but have not worked with GM v6. I like what I read about the 60 degree V6. I would like to save a lot of research and get input from individuals who have worked on these engines, IE this form.
    I plan to use the RWD 3.4 or 3.6 or 3.8 or ...(if a 3.6 exsists). I do not want a 400 hp smoking V6 but if there is a way to get good HP from using FWD intakes on this engine, that is what I am interested in. If there is a RWD 60 degree V6 ready to roll 250 plus HP that would be good as well. I think the project part and fun part would be the swapping of intakes and such to get a stronger V6.
    I am open to any discussion. I find the RX7 convertible a solid foundation for such a swap. I know some will disagree but the rotory engine is not a solid platform, certainly not as solid as the 60 degree V6. I live in North Georgia and there is nothing like a drive through the mountains in a convertible in the spring or fall.
    Please don’t be shy and let er rip.

Welcome! Always nice to see more non-GM RWD converts in here.

To be honest, I would recommend what many of the RWD guys are doing - put in a FWD engine, preferably the 3500 found in the 05-06 Malibus and vans. You are starting out with right around 200hp, and can be built up to close to 300hp while still keeping it NA (check out Superdave's Camaro on here).
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

what BSZOPI said, basically the motor mounts move a little, the starter is on the other side, but modifying a bellhousing with a hole saw and a tig isnt hard. and for the accessories you can swap everything frmo a RWD engine, flip the intake 180*, and your good to go. This can also be done with a plane jane 3400 from a malibu, impalla, Montecarlo ext.

Put in a good cam, TB, push rods, springs and ported topend, all which can be had from wottech and your good to go.

Link at the bottom of my SIG, i hope to net 300 BHP with the high compression. its starting to come together now, i have all my plumbing issues figured out.

Its runs!!!>>>Aint No 60* Sound Like Mehttp://youtu.be/YKEmNwa141U

Comment

Your saying use a FWD engine? I think I would prefer a RWD 3.4 with all of the induction of a FWD. Bob442 I read your thread on your FWD build and was very impressed. I would like a conventional FWD/trans (5 speed) setup. Is that a way to get some horsepower? Can you use FWD engines and conventional transmissions (5 speed) together.

Comment

bszopi/Bob442 Thank you for your replies. I stayed up all night and read and read and crashed. Simple few questions. The 3.6 dohc vvt (newer the better) More power more problems ???
          the 3.4 push rod (intakes, exhaust, cams, tunes) more power less problems ??? RWD or FWD(with mods) ??? remember RX7 fun ride, get there and back, novel, sporty, worthy of a "hey what do you have in that thing" (I am 59 and have been wrenching on cars most of my life (mostly ford small blocks)) I am more into a "trick" (my age again) setup not requiring a lot of welding and cutting and duct tape. I know the rx7 has a ton of engine space. If I should try this thread else ware that's ok.

Comment

well, there is alot of engines that share the same bellhousing patter as a FWD and RWD engine block, those 2 are actually the same, how ever i think the starter location is all that really changed....maybe the mount bosses. all else aside the 3.6 would be awesome, but cost alot to aquire. a 3400 with wiring harness and accesssories could be had for under $400 any day, anywhere. you could get the accessories from a RWD block, water pump and all, or, again use the FWD stuff.
            heres a link to someone that did use a FWD setup in a blazer. and the accessories dont look that bad at all.

if you like shifting then you have alot of options from transplaning bell housings:

to locating something that came behind a 2.2 ectech, 2.8/3.4 or 3800. those options are primarly s-10s, sonomas, jimmys, firebirds, and camaros from 86-97
            or a 4l60e would work awesome behind that motor with a 2.2 bell housing and torque converter.
            its ultamitly up to you.

Comment

Welcome to 60v6!

My build thread is in this section somewhere.. FWD 3500 v6 bolted to a 700R4, RWD 3.4 timing cover, accessory brackets and accessories into an 89 Camaro. I had to make custom mounts but that's cake.

Lots of 60v6 stuff interchanges between generations and platforms, You have tons of options and could build a very solid engine.
              Past Builds;
              1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
              1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
              Current Project;
              1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Now that's what I am talking about. Just to be sure a RX7 is a rwd vehicle. The suggestion to use a fwd is based on more configurations, more power options (cly displacement) maybe more plentiful?? FWD is going to give the best horsepower?? FWD require electric cooling fans? Has anything come out with direct injection push rod? Again than you for your responses.

Comment

well if you got a 3.4 block(RWD) or motor for very cheap, there is nothing stopping you from using the block, crank rods and accessories, and then getting a top end from a FWD engine. The 2000+ FWD top ends (heads and intakes, and roller valve train) net better power. Things are interchangable with these motors, how ever, deck height changes with going from a iron head to a aluminum head, along with compression going through the roof. the reason we are telling you to go with a FWD block is because of a much better flowing top end, and much more plentiful. like i said, the blocks them selfs are pretty much identical except some mounting bosses and the starter location. running electric fans is fine and that is how they are cooled. for the swap if you could just grab a running car complete for all the swap parts you might be ahead.

To save confusion of what parts have to be swapped its much easier for you to locate a healthy 2000+ 3400 SFI, and possibly just the accessories from a RWD 3.4 block. The only advantage to using the RWD accessories is how everything is mounted out of the way and lower, then you have room to flip the inake 180* so the throttle body opening is facing the front of the vehicle. In that first link i posted that guy had run pullys so the intake would clear.
                  Or you could order a kit like these guys have which is essentially RWD accessories.

Hope all my jabbering puts you in a understanding and a direction.

Comment

What if I could get a hold of a 2008 cts 3.6l vvt DI engine. And maybe the 6 speed manual that came with it. Would that be doable or to complex??

Comment

i havent ever looked at the wiring harness, but yes it should be do-able. HP tuners should be able to modify anything you should decide to get rid of like multiple o2 sensors and such. i dont have any knownledge of the 3.6 other than i drove a camaro with one and it was pretty ballzy.

Comment

Is the camaro owner on this form, I there a good way to look for form members who may information on this engine swap??

Comment

You could maybe look in the garage at look up those you have a Camaro... There aren't that many that have done it, though.
                          -Brad-
                          89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                          sigpic
                          Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

I have been away for a little while, I have been reading swaps in norotors and rx7club, I found a couple of engine swaps with the 4.3, which I beleve is a 90 degree engine, but there was plenty of room and the engine was about 100 lbs lighter than the ls series v8's. It looks like there are quite a few 3.6 DI VVT engines available for just south of 1000, and it looks like the CTS came with 6 speed auto or manual transmissions, The prospect of 300 horsepower is intoxicating, the prospect of ecm, high pressure fuel injsection (DI) wiring, kills the buzz, still researching, not fully given up on a 3.4 build. should I start a thread elseware to get some feed back

Comment

It may be possible to get a non DI version (LY7) of the 3.6L and pin the cam phasers as a couple people have done with the LZ motors. This should net you 250hp if clocked correctly. I really like the idea of putting one in a Fiero but the LX9 and LZ9 are such tasty looking and ultimately lowering hanging fruit. However if I was starting with a longitudinal application I might go that way.

~sam

Comment

Working...
                              X