Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why NOT to do the cam timing and much more!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jmgtp
    The 96-97 cams had different specs to begin with.
    Speaking of... does anyone know FOR SURE the differences? I've read the differences on the site, but those have question marks in them.

Comment

I personally believe that there is little difference between the actual results of the gen I vs gen II. Only in the intakes, and even then....

I mean these difference coudl eb for anything, who knows why GM did it. The gen IIs only got 5hp, so what's the point? I am going to 96 intkaes, but that is only becuz the TB is removalbe.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron
        I personally believe that there is little difference between the actual results of the gen I vs gen II. Only in the intakes, and even then....

I mean these difference coudl eb for anything, who knows why GM did it. The gen IIs only got 5hp, so what's the point? I am going to 96 intkaes, but that is only becuz the TB is removalbe.
        And the powerband from the different intake is more to the 5 speeds liking...
        -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
        91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
        92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
        94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
        Originally posted by Jay Leno
        Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

Yes, the 96/7 motors have 5 more PEAK hp... you fail to realize that the powerband is 1000 rpms higher. Hell, just because the PEAK hp is higher, doesn't mean there aren't gains throughout the entire powerband.

Comment

Originally posted by dykz34
            Yes, the 96/7 motors have 5 more PEAK hp... you fail to realize that the powerband is 1000 rpms higher. Hell, just because the PEAK hp is higher, doesn't mean there aren't gains throughout the entire powerband.
            1991 Grand Prix GTP LX9swap/Getrag 284 --- SOLD =(
            1994 Corvette
            LT1/ZF6
            2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4
            3.7/42RLE

Comment

ok just had a failure trying to do the 13* retard. Guess im the retarded one...lol.

How on earth is it done? I know, I have seen the link, but I still don't understand how I'm suppose to do the rear 2 cams when the strut tower is in the way of my home made cam puller. Any input on how i can do it?
              \"Pree\" - 93 Grand Prix SE - 3.4L Twin Dual Cam
              - FFP UD Pulley - FFP Chip - 8mm Taylor Wires
              - 160* T/stat - Dual 40 Series Flowmasters
              - Hi-Flo Cat
              15.2@95mph - GTECH P/B
              http://home.rgv.rr.com/tjperformance/Cap0005.mpg

Comment

I believe that you lock the rear intake cam along with the front two cams and then rotate the crank 13*.... is that right?

Comment

Yeah, you can do that dave. If you cant get the rear cam gear off, then you just set the crank to the 13 degree mark and set the rear cam flat. Then you put the belt on and tighten it up at the tensioner pulley. This will keep the rear cam in time with the crank. Then, do the front intake cam, front exhaust, and then back to the rear intake.

This is the 3rd time ive written that out, im sure its in other threads.
                  Ben
                  60DegreeV6.com
                  WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107
                    Yeah, you can do that dave.
                    Good, cuz I plan to do my timing belt soon and I don't want this to be a shot in the dark!

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107
                      Yeah, you can do that dave.
                      Good, cuz I plan to do my timing belt soon and I don't want this to be a shot in the dark!
                      I thought a while back, you said you were never going to do this, Dave?
                      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

I'm not doing the 13* retard... I'm timing it stock. I'd rather time it to stock for my first time doing a belt than trying to figure out where the hell EXACTLY 13* is...

Comment

I showed you were exactly 13 degrees is....
                          Ben
                          60DegreeV6.com
                          WOT-Tech.com

Comment

I'm not doing the 13* retard... I'm timing it stock. I'd rather time it to stock for my first time doing a belt than trying to figure out where the hell EXACTLY 13* is...
                            Good idea. It's bad enough having run a crash course in timing belts running stock timing for the first time, lol. Ben and I have the 91 and it's amazing "ShReD-O-MaTiC" ability to thank for our crash course, lol. First time he gets to drive the car, we get going good, then nothing, lol.
                            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

i was reading the 60degreev6 website last night about the retarding of the exhaust cams. first has there ever been a dyno or a test to prove its power gains. second how do you know that the valves get ruined. i am just wondering because before you go and play around with cam timing you should really know what you are doing. with all that is said i want to get what i read straight.
                              1 you line up the tdc mark on the damper with the stock mark
                              2 you put the cam flat tools on. there are warings about this any body know what they are
                              3 you then loosen the sprockets and let them spin freely.
                              4 you put the belt on and all of the pulleys
                              5 some how you get the intake cam to not turn and put the damper at 13*

do you do both exhaust banks or just the rear exhaust bank
                              how do you make a tool to hold just one came at a time
                              on a 94 can you do this reatarding with the belt on.
                              what is the pros and cons of doing this

WWW.OverKillEngineeringMotorsports.com

Comment

Working...
                              X