Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cold Air Intakes for 3.4's,Does anyone make one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Air Intakes for 3.4's,Does anyone make one?

How's everyone doing,I use to have a 92 pontiac G.P. s.e. with the 3.4 d.o.h.c.in it,I had to sell the car a few years ago due to financial difficulties.Anyway,My son just went out last week and bought a 93 chevy lumina z-34.i use to come to this site and a few others that don't exist anymore (too bad),And i was wondering if anyone still makes a cold air intake for this engine ,There use to be a guy on ebay that had them for sale,But i don't think he has them anymore.Also if there are maybe step-by-step instructiones on how to make one yourself,Or a K&N replacement for the o.e.m. filter that anyone knows of,Please let me know thanks.These are still great cars,And driveing my son's always puts a smile on my face.

The OEM intake pulls cold air from beside the radiator. You do NOT need to buy some aftermarket cone-filter junk to get cold air.

The aftermarket cone-filter junk I've seen is more of a "warm air" intake; as it pulls air from the engine compartment as much as from the cold air inlet hole in the front sheetmetal.

K&N did--and probably still does--make a filter element to go into the stock airbox.
    ^ some people may call this guy an asshole at times, but he isn't wrong very often -- Robert

Comment

Overkilling engineering sells a pretty nice 91-95 CAI.
      http://www.overkillengineeringmotors...5wbodycai.html
      If you dont want to spend the money, you can make one similar to that for around $40. If you want pics of the custom CAI let me know n Ill post em.

Comment

Thanks for the help,I tried telling my son the car came with a factory type c.a.i. setup already,But of course,What do i know.... Thanks for the help

Comment

i made a fender well intake for my 95 monte carlo z34 3.4 dohc

Comment

Even though the stock air box does pull in cold air, the inlet to the air box is TINY! I had mine out to replace the battery and I was surprised how small it was. A FWI would be a good investment. Im going to make one for mine once I figure out what to do with the washer bottle. Its in the way of where I need to run the piping.
            -Matt

Comment

F-body washer fluid bottle! It moves it to in front of the rad and it holds more than the stock bottle.
              I was able to find mine in a for sale thread on an f-body forum...

Jamie

1995 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
              3.4L DOHC
              My Cardomain Page UPDATED MARCH 10, 2006

Comment

Dont you have to modify the hood latch bracket to get the bottle to work? Do you have any detailed pictures of yours? I think I found out that an astro van washer bottle will fit on the front of the rad support without modification. Im going to try and find one in the JY and try it out.
                -Matt

Comment

I made a 2" drop bracket so it doesn't go near the hood latch... I will get some pics next time I am out at the car... should be some time this week (its in storage until April 1st)

Jamie

1995 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
                  3.4L DOHC
                  My Cardomain Page UPDATED MARCH 10, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by phantomgreen View Post
                    Overkilling engineering sells a pretty nice 91-95 CAI.
                    http://www.overkillengineeringmotors...5wbodycai.html
                    If you dont want to spend the money, you can make one similar to that for around $40. If you want pics of the custom CAI let me know n Ill post em.
                    The cost of that intake plus a battery relocation kit would put you over 300.00 almost.

I made a FWCAI that would utilize stock battery placement and 3" aluminum tubing. Results were a happy customer and noticeable seat of the pants gain. Under 200.00 When all said & done.
                    Lifting my front wheels, one jack at a time.

Comment

A battery relocation is nowhere over $50-75. Also my intakes have a welded bracket so when the engine torques the intake does not get thrown around. I have also had a couple people put the intake around the battery, it just needs to be turned a little.

WWW.OverKillEngineeringMotorsports.com

Comment

This is mine. I did a Batt relocation. The Wiring was expensive. the intake was cheep except for the Cryo Kit.
                        I dont know what this means but "ASS HATS" is funny

Comment

If you dont want to relocate the battery you can just move it around a bit. Whole project probably came to $40-$50.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by phantomgreen; 03-26-2009, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X