No announcement yet.

Looking for performance tips - 1995 Grand Prix GTP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks. I'm going to be putting a custom intake on soon. Any particular Magnaflow?

Comment

agreed! i run a 2.5" high flow cat, magniflow muffler, and a glass pack all in line, and then straight pipes to the back. has a very clean deep sound.

as for performance parts, if you go to my website that i have links to in my sig, you will see plenty of pics of me porting my intake manifold and TB. never mind what others have said before on this thread, there is power to be had here. your 95 will be harder to port as the TB is part of the intake manifold, but you can still reshape the inlet to the tb and how smooth it exits to the rest of the intake. if you dont feel comfortable doing this PM me and we can work out something.... as i have ported a number of tb's and intakes before.

deff do not do anything to the maf or you will suffer perf probs cause it will throw off the factory tuning.

a 180* stat is a good idea it helps keep engine temps down and keeps the trany cooler by keeping engine and engine bay temps down. should be 1st mod.

a good fender well intake is also key... i also have pics for this online in my website. again if you dont feel like throwing one togehter, (they are very easy to make) i can fab one up foryou.

its ashame you dont have a 96 or 97 cause then you would be able to get custom tuning... its not worth it for you right now but others have done an OBD2 swap so that they are runing the newer 96 pcm... (the 97 has a diff trany) this allows you to accept custom tuning that really makes an edge. very few people have done tuning with this engine and i am one of the few that have really put forth the time and effort to grabe every bit of power ican out of this engine.

as for exhaust. you do not want to go any bigger then 2.5" anything after that and you WILL loose tq. and we already are short in this department. a full 2.5" system is what this car needs... for flow and weight i went with a single muffler under the car. if i was going for full perf, i would have kept my shorter side exit but being a daily driver i needed a little quieter and livable... IE able to talk to friends and use phone in car. but for weight i would have kept the side exit.

deff wider tires will help. more traction... stock tires are 225.60-16 try a 245/50-16 or 245/55-16. i personally run a smaller dia tire on the car to get an edge in final gearing.

there is also a gear swap. by changing a few parts you can improve acc greatly with this... but its not something most people can do.

i have really taped out many of the possibilities with this engine... ifyou have specific questions PM me. you can also look of my websites for ideas as like said have done quite a bit with it.

Comment

Originally posted by 1995GTP View Post
        Thanks. I'm going to be putting a custom intake on soon. Any particular Magnaflow?

Not really.. 2.5" mid pipe and Y'ed into dual 2.25" or 2". any muffler shop should be able to get the right ones.. they are kinda short and for ease of install make sure you get a off-set inlet and center outlet. they are all straight threw design except the "Magnaflow XL" which is like a super turbo style..

Different tires make a world of difference.. They are kind of a odd size but i like the 235/55-16's on my stock wheels.. handle good but are wider and your speedo isnt off. and you also don't get the crowning and wear the centers out.. They wear very nice and handle better then stock by far.

S
        Shane "RedZMonte"
        2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
        1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
        -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
        2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
        1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
        1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
        1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
        1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

Last I read there was no chip available for the 95 LQ1. Ben was working on one but nothing ever came of it.

If you have any emissions testing where you are deleting the EGR and cat will kill you. So will a high flow cat. I had a Magnaflow high flow cat on my GTP and it failed emissions miserably, get rid of the cat and I passed with flying colors.
          Here is a vid of my exhaust,
          Walker Cat, 18" Vibrant resonator, 2 magnaflow mufflers

The problem with modding a 95 LQ1 is in the lack of tune ability, OBD 1.5 FTL!

1995 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
          3.4L DOHC
          My Cardomain Page UPDATED MARCH 10, 2006

Comment

Working...
          X