Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for performance tips - 1995 Grand Prix GTP

Hey,
    So I have a 1995 Grand Prix GTP with a 3.4L DOHC. I'm looking to add a few things to get some more performance out of it. I'm good with cars, but by far an amateur. I was wondering if anyone had some ideas for me or even knew where I could get performance parts for my car. Everything seems to be about the 3.8L these days. I put up some pictures of the car if you wanna take a look.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
    Corey

An oil cap will probably keep the water out thus adding hp.

-GREEN 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix SE - L82/5spd MTX +
    -White 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 97 207DOHC/6SPD MTX +

Comment

These pictures were taken a while ago. I have long since spent the $20 for a new one. These were just the nicest pics I had. Any real tips would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

[QUOTE=1995GTP;375677]Hey,
        So I have a 1995 Grand Prix GTP with a 3.4L DOHC. I'm looking to add a few things to get some more performance out of it. I'm good with cars, but by far an amateur. I was wondering if anyone had some ideas for me or even knew where I could get performance parts for my car. Everything seems to be about the 3.8L these days. I put up some pictures of the car if you wanna take a look.

There is very very little for bolt ons for these cars. I've had my GTP for about 5 years now and any performance upgrades I've found we're not exactly easy to find.

A list of things I've done to my GTP you could look into.

- underdrive pulley. Has a smaller circumference so spins the accessories at a slower speed. Not as good for the alternator but improves the response of the engine. Not easy to find anymore. an online company fast forward performance used to make them out of aluminum the site is no longer. maybe ebay??

- Port and polish the intake. you have to tear the top of your engine off. Improves breathability of the engine. Probably won't notice to much of a change, so don't bother unless you have another reason to pull the intake.

- FFP dogbone - not much performance gain at all just looks cool. Keeps the engine from rocking back and forth. Increases the noise of the engine in the car but kinda helps with putting power to the ground quicker, but barely.

- I put MSD coils on my ignition, Can't tell much of a difference. Red looks better than black. I paid the same for MSD as i would have for delco, and at the time I wanted to change the coils.

One thing you can do is put a colder thermostat on the car. supposedly keeps the engine cooler so increases power. But I bet it wouldn't even be measurable That's why I never bothered to install the one I bought yet. maybe get to it soon.

You could put the chip that's available to purchase on this site in your cars ECM, but I have not seen any amazing proof yet on it being a great investment but maybe something to check out.

Put a turbo on it!! that's the only real thing that will make a major change. There is almost no support for our engines aftermarket wise so if you do this expect to have someone custom make all the piping. big $$...
        1991 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP / 3.4 DOHC

Comment

Cool thanks. I PMed you as well.

Comment

This link pertty much covers LQ1 performance options:

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme5/tu...lass/mods.html

Comment

some help on places for parts

MSD makes blaster coils for it, Taylor makes an awsome set of plug wires, and NKG Iridium IX spark plugs.

www.andysautosport.com will carry a pulley kit, oil cooler, thermostats, fuel injectors, pressure regulator , and a fuel pump.

www.performancecenter.com will have a cat converter that adds horses, a MAF sensor for a true CA intake system, shocks for a better feel of the car along with a rear sway bar from ADDCO and they also carry computer chips from Jet, i believe you just have to tell them at what RPMs u want more or les fuel.

for a TRUE CA intake system and the cat-back exhaust with a larger diameter go to www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com they also carry a large and very nice brake kit for our cars.

and now for the downpipe search this guy up and talk to him gpchris he can get you a larger downpipe for about 200 bucks and yes it does give u some horses back. for your headers there is nothing so i suggest a port and polish to also fit the larger diameter of 3". match your exhaust ports from the block to that setting if they can. port and polish the intake manifold and the valve valves. talk to your local overhaul shop and see if they cant make u some forged pistons. should run maybe 700 bucks for them. and ask what they can do for oversized custom cut valves and get some ARP rods and bolts as this SHOULD be enough to have to swap them out. i have heard something about LS6 valve springs. never tried it i also just heard it but worth a shot, cam shafts you will need a regrind and set ur exhaust cams to 13* retarded. ive also heard on the 7* retarded for the intake cams. upgrade your computer.

with all this i highly suggest running a higher octane fuel. no octane booster just real high octance fuel like 91 or 92 if u can get it.
              Last edited by mn95gtp; 12-24-2008, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Turbo, UD pulley, 2.5" exhaust, CAI (make sure the filter is in the fenderwell), nitrous, porting, etc.

Tim
                1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
                325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

Clubgp.com has a sticky for 88-96 mods, and the 3.4DOHC has its own section with mods listed with links to where to buy them.

I wouldn't stay over there for much more because if you ask about mods the SWAP response is all you will get.
                  1995 Pontiac GTP
                  Over $12K invested, and still its slow. Maybe thats because thats most all repairs. Don\'t knock the engine though, because thats the only part that has seemed to last.

Comment

Originally posted by 1995GTP View Post
                    Hey,
                    So I have a 1995 Grand Prix GTP with a 3.4L DOHC. I'm looking to add a few things to get some more performance out of it. I'm good with cars, but by far an amateur. I was wondering if anyone had some ideas for me or even knew where I could get performance parts for my car. Everything seems to be about the 3.8L these days. I put up some pictures of the car if you wanna take a look.Any advice appreciated. Thanks!
                    Corey

I have a '95 GTP 3.4 and it smokes my '01 Monte SS 3800. No contest- and the GTP is 6 years older and has 86,000 more miles on it.

the 3800 series II in stock form is an over-rated engine. what I'm gleaning is, one must pull the heads/intake/exhaust manifolds and replace them on a 3800 II, just to get it to run with a stock 3.4 DOHC- the stock 3.4 top end is already very, very good, right from the factory. More cams, more valves, better (hemi) combustion chambers, better intake/exhaust manifolds

Pull the egr valve connector on the GTP, and delete the cat converter, that is good for at least 20 HP or more. It will throw a code, just ignore it- I've been driving mine for 5 years with the CEL on, so what. But watch the tranny, the trans in those cars was "borderline" for strength from day one. My GTP trans let go at 178,000. Adding power to that trans 250HP and above, it becomes the weak link.

the 3.4 was a factory 280HP hot rod, that was detuned to 210-220 HP just to make that tranny live- when you push it back up to 250+ HP, the trans will fail with abuse.
                    Last edited by 4camv6; 01-30-2009, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lowerd1 View Post
                      Clubgp.com has a sticky for 88-96 mods, and the 3.4DOHC has its own section with mods listed with links to where to buy them.

I wouldn't stay over there for much more because if you ask about mods the SWAP response is all you will get.

I'd tell them right off, their 3800 II is nothing without a supercharger on top, a naturally aspirated 3800 is a granny engine in stock form.

it needs a supercharger to run with and beat a 3.4 DOHC

Comment

Originally posted by 4camv6 View Post
                        Pull the egr valve connector on the GTP, and delete the cat converter, that is good for at least 20 HP or more.
                        I think someone's butt dyno needs to be calibrated!
                        -Brad-
                        89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
                        sigpic
                        Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

Thanks for the great advice everyone. I love the car. Especially the part about stomping on my friends with imports. Ha ha!

Comment

A couple more questions for you guys.
                            I'm looking to get a little louder sound out of the old girl. I don't know what to do with it. I don't want the stupid little bumblebee sound. I was thinking maybe straight piped. Anyone have any suggestions on getting a good sound out of my 3.4 DOHC? I'm looking for a low loud rumble.

Also, any truth to removing the EGR valve to increase power? If so, what do I need to do as far as capping off lines/vacuums?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by 1995GTP View Post
                              A couple more questions for you guys.
                              I'm looking to get a little louder sound out of the old girl. I don't know what to do with it. I don't want the stupid little bumblebee sound. I was thinking maybe straight piped. Anyone have any suggestions on getting a good sound out of my 3.4 DOHC? I'm looking for a low loud rumble.

Also, any truth to removing the EGR valve to increase power? If so, what do I need to do as far as capping off lines/vacuums?

Thanks!
                              Intake (makes more grawl) and exhaust. If you want a clean deep sound i would recommend 2.5" piping, high flow cat, Resonator (magnaflow) and dual Magnaflow mufflers.. I have the Borla on mine and its clean but a little on the quiet side. but Magnaflow, Borla, Dynomax Ultraflow, ect.. mufflers are all good. I personally don't like Chambered mufflers like flowmaster.

S
                              Shane "RedZMonte"
                              2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
                              1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
                              -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
                              2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
                              1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
                              1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
                              1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
                              1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

Comment

Working...
                              X