Does the cam tool work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the cam tool work?

I read a thread a little while ago where some guy said he tested it with a degree wheel and the tool does not work. Whats up with that?

-GREEN 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix SE - L82/5spd MTX +
    -White 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - 97 207DOHC/6SPD MTX +

There are no degree marks on the tool.

Once you line up the first set of cams using a degree wheel for example and you set it where you want, just tighten and mark the tool and then you got your +3/-3 on the tool.
    1991 Grand Prix STE
    3.4 DOHC
    1 of 792 Produced
    Extensive Mods Done

1991 Lumina Z34
    3.4 DOHC
    Getrag 284 5spd
    1 of 30
    Canadian Z34 Models Made with the Getrag 5spd Wahoooo!

1980 GMC Sierra Classic C25 With 18,000 ORIGINAL MILES!!!!

sigpic

Comment

If you don't have any degree marks on your tool then the stickers fell off. My tool has stickers marking degrees on it. However, it is marked in degress of cam rotation, not crank rotation. So on the cam tool, 3 degrees at the cam is 6 degrees at the crank.
      I may own a GTO now, but I'm still a 60V6er at heart.

Comment

Do any of you have a picture of the timing tools your talking about?

Comment

The last group buy on the timing tool did not have the degree stickers on them, which my tool was from.

Supposedly there were some that complained that they were not accurate and that was one of the reasons that they didn't put them on this time.
          1991 Grand Prix STE
          3.4 DOHC
          1 of 792 Produced
          Extensive Mods Done

1991 Lumina Z34
          3.4 DOHC
          Getrag 284 5spd
          1 of 30

sigpic

Comment

Yes, with the last run you time with the crank and not the cams. to use the tool, you lock the cams in straight up and set your timing on the crank.

for example, if you wanted to go 6 degrees retarded on the exhaust, you would lock the cams in straight up and when you hit tdc, unlock the intake side of the cam tool and rotate the crank 6 degrees past the tdc mark clockwise. hence the need for a degree wheel or some sort of measuring device.

perhaps some of the owners just simply do not know how to use it.
            The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

Comment

This is probably the case. I've been around and helped overhaul pushrod engines and small engines. The DOHC is a very hard to understand engine for someone who is new to them. This will be my first experiance myself and understanding is going to be hard.

In my honest opinion a detailed writeup of such things would be invaluable for a newbe such as me. Even the smallest detail some may take for granted thinking that eveybody knows is something that needs to be learned by the inexperianced.

I will figure it out with enough reading but I don't even understand about -6 +6 or 13degree retard. Sometimes I wonder why I choose to do such hard to figure out stuff.

Vinny

Comment

Look at my thead.............

Its entitled "Timing........"

I discribed what steps are needed when using the timing tool with-out timing marks.
                1991 Grand Prix STE
                3.4 DOHC
                1 of 792 Produced
                Extensive Mods Done

1991 Lumina Z34
                3.4 DOHC
                Getrag 284 5spd
                1 of 30

sigpic

Comment

Well thats another problem. I haven't located a timing tool yet.

Comment

i put a followup thread up a while ago, if 10 or more peeps get together, i can sanction another run.

Comment

Ok I'll bite. Can you show me a picture of the tool in question? If this is the tool I need to do performance timing then I'm in

Comment

it may take a while b/c demand for them is not high at the moment. The one on the bottom left was the original. It was an all aluminum construction, when i chose to re-do them i had the arms made of steel b/c the aluminum would get eaten up after a few uses.

I chose not to put the stickers on them b/c of cost and it was said and proved that using the arms to time would become inaccurate after a few degrees. Therefore you must keep the arms flat where they are accurate and time by the crank. There were 0 marks machined into them for this purpose.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by dohcfiend; 05-07-2008, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Well sence you are the original one that had these reproduced would you mind starting a new list of buyers? Stress to everyone this maybe the last time. These engines are loseing momentom because of thier age and the other options people have

Comment

I have one of the originals that I ended up getting from Ben. I have it hung up on my wall to display it proudly, lol. Any time someone asks what each of the tools on my wall is (special ones that don't get a drawer, like valve spring compressor, compression gauge, vacuum gauge, pickle forks, serpentine belt tool, torque wrenches) I point it out and make a note of how special it is
                            -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
                            91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
                            92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
                            94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
                            Originally posted by Jay Leno
                            Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

i started a list a while back, if you want to take the ball and run with it be my guest. Let me know when you have 10 and i will have another run done.

last time i did them for 0 profit b/c i wanted one too. I have my own now, i can still do it for 0 profit b/c i am not hard up for cash or anything but i don't want to do any of the leg work. judging by the bum economy they may cost more, i cannot say until i go to my cnc guy and ask.

good part is there is already a cad file for them so you're cost would mainly be time for setup and on the machine. if you search on here you will find the thread i started for a second run. you can get in contact with the peeps that posted on it and you'll have a starting point at least.
                              Last edited by dohcfiend; 05-07-2008, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X