Header material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Header material?

If I were to build my own headers for my motor where on the net can I get stainless header tubing? I'm guessing maybe 1 3/4 to 1 7/8s? I need bends or elbows and some straight pieces. There used to be a place on the net you could buy "cut offs" or "drop" as they call it, but I can't remember the name of it. I'm a welder at a boiler manufacturer so I shouldn't have any problem welding it up once I find what I need. Oh yeah, What about stainless flanges? I'v read some about them on here but I don;t see where anyones making them.

I accually thought about buying some cheap stainless headers off Ebay and cutting them up for their parts.

Vinny

www.burnsstainless.com is one place I know.
    -Brad-
    89 Mustang : Future 60V6 Power
    sigpic
    Follow the build -> http://www.3x00swap.com/index.php?page=mustang-blog

Comment

WOW. it would cost a thousand dollars to build your own V6 headers at thoses prices

Comment

So WOT has 3500/3900 header flanges, what about the 3100/3400? Where can we get those?
        '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
        '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
        '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
        '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

Comment

Links:
          WOT-Tech.com
          FaceBook
          Instagram

Comment

For the 3100/3400 header flanges, PM betterthanyou here on the forums. He either has them, or can get more made up. I designed them a few years ago, and he's been making them since. Everyone that has used them has been very pleased with the design and product.
            -Brad-
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
              For the 3100/3400 header flanges, PM betterthanyou here on the forums. He either has them, or can get more made up. I designed them a few years ago, and he's been making them since. Everyone that has used them has been very pleased with the design and product.
              But isn't this thread about DOHC's?
              Links:
              WOT-Tech.com
              FaceBook
              Instagram

Comment

Yes, but I was just responding to Canyonero's question. I guess if I really wanted to, I could split the threads, and put the pushrod posts into the pushrod forum. But I really don't feel the need...
                -Brad-
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bszopi View Post
                  Yes, but I was just responding to Canyonero's question. I guess if I really wanted to, I could split the threads, and put the pushrod posts into the pushrod forum. But I really don't feel the need...

Ah, true :P
                  Links:
                  WOT-Tech.com
                  FaceBook
                  Instagram

Comment

The title is "Header material?"... I browse by New Posts, don't always look where they are. Sorry.
                    '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
                    '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
                    '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
                    '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonero View Post
                      The title is "Header material?"... I browse by New Posts, don't always look where they are. Sorry.
                      I was just ribbing Brad

We are one big happy family here, lol....

even a couple black sheep.
                      Links:
                      WOT-Tech.com
                      FaceBook
                      Instagram

Comment

Those prices look better. What size tubes do you think I need to use? 1 5/8"? 1 7/8"? 2"?

Comment

Originally posted by vinny View Post
                          Those prices look better. What size tubes do you think I need to use? 1 5/8"? 1 7/8"? 2"?
                          What size are the ports? I haven't messed with a DOHC, but I thought I saw rectangular ports, you need to see what size pipe cann be beat close to the shape, but still have a little room.
                          Links:
                          WOT-Tech.com
                          FaceBook
                          Instagram

Comment

Yeah there rectangles. I don't know what size they are yet. Hell I don't even have the motor yet! Just doing some thinking.

Comment

I wouldn't mess with stainless.. mild steel is fine, just get them jet-hot coated.

stainless headers seem to have a history of cracking over time, mild steel can take alot of abuse.
                              Past Builds;
                              1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                              1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                              Current Project;
                              1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Working...
                              X