Ebay turbo set up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebay turbo set up?

I was just looking around on Ebay and knowticed all the turbo related items and MAN is there a bunch! Seems to me you could peace together a decent setup for at least $1500 give or take a couple hundred. I saw a few T4 turbos for around $500-$600 intercoolers of all shapes and sizes anywhere from $50-$200 and lots of other stuff like blow off valves, aluminum tubing, couplings.

Someone should make a sticky intitled Turbos for Dummys. Hell I'd read it!

Vinny

I would also be interested in an article on the fundamentals of forced induction (as regards the 60-degree). I glanced at Eaton M90s on eBay, and there are alot, but I'm still not sure what I'd need.
    '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
    '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
    '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
    '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

Comment

Go to the library in your city. There is a book called "Turbocharging, Supercharging, and Nitrous Oxide". If you can't find it, I think I paid $20 for it at Barnes and Noble. It's a good read
      -60v6's 2nd Jon M.
      91 Black Lumina Z34-5 speed
      92 Black Lumina Z34 5 speed (getting there, slowly... follow the progress here)
      94 Red Ford Ranger 2WD-5 speed
      Originally posted by Jay Leno
      Tires are cheap clutches...

Comment

I doubt they'd have that at the library here, but it's $14.93 on Amazon. I might just pick that up. Add a $12.99 CD and I get free shipping and no DRM. Sweet!
        '98 Volvo V90 - Ford 5.0 swap in progress
        '96 LR Range Rover 4.6 HSE - suspiciously reliable
        '92 Volvo 740 Wagon - former parts car, now daily-driver beater
        '71 Opel Kadett Wagon - 1.9L CIH w/ Weber DGV 32/36, in bits

Comment

I do know the book your talking about. I' have to get one. Thanks!

Vinny

Comment

Originally posted by vinny View Post
            I was just looking around on Ebay and noticed all the turbo related items and MAN is there a bunch! Seems to me you could peace together a decent setup for at least $1500 give or take a couple hundred. I saw a few T4 turbos for around $500-$600 intercoolers of all shapes and sizes anywhere from $50-$200 and lots of other stuff like blow off valves, aluminum tubing, couplings.

Someone should make a sticky entitled Turbos for Dummys. Hell I'd read it!

Vinny

Comment

I bought my copy something like 3 years ago, so no wonder it's cheap now. Ben has my copy, but that's ok. I have his "How to modify pistons, rods and crankshafts" still
              -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

i have a book called Maximum Boost by Corky Bell, it is very helpful with my LC2 powered Monza. I thought it was better than the other books
                68 El camino 454 speed muncie 3.90 posi 12 bolt,
                80 Monza Spyder nasty buick 231/3.8l v6 200-4R 3.73 posi.
                60 Impala 2 door hardtop L79-327 T56 4.11 posi.
                83 wagoneer torque pig AMC 360 hydradrive (gm turbo 400 with stock sb chrysler bellhousing boltpattern) dana 20 transfer case dana 60 front GM 14 bolt rear. 401 in the wokrs
                91 Z34 now has a hm284. and belly pan in the works

Comment

I've heard the Corky Bell book is a good read too. I have seen some take it too far and consider it the ONLY source for boosted apps. IMHO, you don't want to do that. I would rather spend a few more months reading a few more books and have a larger wealth of knowledge, and really know what I am doing over reading 1 book, and taking it to the bank.
                  -60v6's 2nd Jon M.

Comment

True I wouldn't use the book for building a N/A, blown, nos motor. I got it because turbos are new to me, I've dealt with superchargers mainly roots but a decent amount with twin screw and centrifugal and I don't like cheater gas
                    68 El camino 454 speed muncie 3.90 posi 12 bolt,
                    80 Monza Spyder nasty buick 231/3.8l v6 200-4R 3.73 posi.
                    60 Impala 2 door hardtop L79-327 T56 4.11 posi.
                    83 wagoneer torque pig AMC 360 hydradrive (gm turbo 400 with stock sb chrysler bellhousing boltpattern) dana 20 transfer case dana 60 front GM 14 bolt rear. 401 in the wokrs
                    91 Z34 now has a hm284. and belly pan in the works

Comment

Even if you go with ebay, it will probably cost at least $2-2.5k for a very basic kit unless you can do the welding and fabrication yourself. I did mine the cheap way the first time and it was still expensive. It gets more expensive when you realize that you should have spent the $$ to do it right in the first place and then redo everything a few times to make it right.

Tim
                      1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
                      325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

I just got back from Memphis a few minutes ago. I went to the Super Chevy show maybe to find a motor or some other stuff. While I was there I went to a big book store called Book Star and accually got a copy of Maximum Boost. It seemed like the better of the three different books they had, in which I can't remember the names of the others. Maybe I'll get to read some in it tonight.

Vinny

Comment

Working...
                        X