custom intake manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• custom intake manifold

Hey I been working on cutting up a 93 intake manifold to make a short runner intake so that I can go a little faster . Just had a couple questions before I move on. What do I do with the sensors (MAP and EGR and Brake Booster Line?) that will be cut off? Feel free to criticize and voice your thoughts.
    Attached Files

What you need to do if throw that fucking thing in the garbage, actually you can get like 8-10 bucks at a recycling yard. If you wanna make a direct port manny you need to have access to a machine shop. You need to have direct port runners going into the heads, or you can make it fit the lower intake manifold but that wont give you maximum power. Cutting up a stock manifold is going to be a lot of work and not much improvment over stock. As far as the sensors. if you get teh new manny made just have them make a hole in the side for the mad sensor with two nipples for vacuum. The egr you can probably delete if you get a chip, seeing as you are using a 93 manny I am guessing that you have a 93? As far as the brake booster line, justa add another vacuum source.

WWW.OverKillEngineeringMotorsports.com

Comment

If you dont know what your doing why are you raping that manifold?

96 Z34 3.4 SC DOHC Getrag, 284 5sd manual transmission, stage 3spec clutch, 97 engine, 97 pcm, S3 intercooler 1 of 1 Roots SC LQ1 in the world 8.5 psi.

Comment

i find it funny a guy wit green in his name has a blue manifold.... HAHA

it think it is the color and scrape marks on the manifold that are making us not take you seriously.... building a new intake is more then just cutting one up and indiscrimently welding it back together.

yes short runers tend to give more top end HP but at the cost of low end tq. a lot of calculations should be made to make sure that your new intake manifold will make the max HP where you need it.... IE there is no point on making a new mani that has its peak at 8000 or 10,000 rpm! our cars wont get there! we are not rotarys nor have VeEeeTeCK! careful adjust ment of lenght, volume, flow angles, are all needed to plan out a viable new intake. the questions you are asking are the easyest part of making a new intake manifold. Honestly without a means of tuning the car building a new intake manifold is a step in the wrong direction.

Comment

Im aware thats its not easy to just whip up a new manifold or else everybody would be doing it, but I have a spare manifold and I saw someone make a short runner intake on here before so I decided to give it a shot. Whether or not you take me seriously is up to you.

http://www.60degreev6.com/showthread.php?t=37050

Comment

wow, those runners are pretty short, why the angle cut at the end? isn't it advantageous to try to get the runners as close as possible to the same length or are you going to back trim the others?

anywho, i cannot help you with egr other than suggesting deleting it. as far the other other situation goes, i would drill and tap 3 holes in the intake(when you finish with it of course).

you should be able to remove your brake booster fitting from the stock intake, drill tap and re-insert it in about the same spot.

id drill and tap 2 more holes for 3/8 vacuum fittings. one of the fittings will supply vacuum to the pcv and the other fitting should go to a vacuum block where you attach everything else to.
            The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

Comment

also now is a good time to conisder other TB ideas... you can go to the junk yard and pick out pretty much any tb now and build it in. maybe a 3800 TB of if you can find a Northstart do that?

As for the other guy who did the short runer he was doing it to prepare for a turbo

the only reason i made the original statment is your question was not one someone should be asking for such a project... like a heart surgin saying ..."what way does the blood go thru the heart again?"

Comment

Thanks for the advice and Im aware that I dont know what the hell exactly im doing haha but thanks for pointing that out. Anyways Ill keep working on this as I find time to do so. With the runners as short as they are how far do you think this will this move my torque and power curves? Thanks

Comment

Wont have any low end they are to short.

96 Z34 3.4 SC DOHC Getrag, 284 5sd manual transmission, stage 3spec clutch, 97 engine, 97 pcm, S3 intercooler 1 of 1 Roots SC LQ1 in the world 8.5 psi.

Comment

jeez guy calm down, i help you out and you get shitty with me? good luck with your project.
                    The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

Comment

Judging from the angle of the cut and a good guess at the lenght.. your new peak HP will be 8037rpm give or take .5 rpm

Comment

8037 that sounds good to me Ill just have to get one of those 9000 rpm tachometers right?

Comment

yup glue it up on the dash and make sure it is one that has a neon ring or one that the face glows like a timex! that way everyone can see they were beat!

Comment

Mount it on your air bag thats always a fun place to put it.

Comment

Just swap for the 96-97 manifolds
                              and build a new tb elbow.

I once was involved in destroying a 94 manifold
                              we cut the back off are removed the section in the middle that basically "bends" the air arround. effectively it took about 3-4" out of the runner length and made a larger plenum.
                              but cutting that damn thing, welding it back up and porting the runners was not really worth the gain. doing the 96 swap gained more than the modded 94 plenum. dont know exact numbers because it wasnt my car.

Comment

Working...
                              X