Fastest DOHC 1/4 ever! I think...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastest DOHC 1/4 ever! I think...

Last weekend at BOP day at Cordova Dragway, my GP went ran the fastest 1/4 mile ever by 3 tenths faster than it had ever gone before. 14.37 @ 95.29 MPH with a 2.14 60' on street tires. As far as I know, that would make it the fastest NA DOHC W-body of any active owner. I have heard rumors of people who went faster that no longer own their cars, but I have not seen proof to back it up. Speaking of proof...

I may own a GTO now, but I'm still a 60V6er at heart.

Thats a good run man. I went 14.58 with my Z34 Lumina. I hope are cars get faster. Just wish there was more performance parts we could get for the 3.4 DOHC

Comment

I was at Cordova on the 12th.. you should have posted up that you were going, i'd have stopped back up. It's like a 20 minute drive for me, lol
      Past Builds;
      1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
      1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
      Current Project;
      1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

Did that Kevwood guy ever get 1/4 mile times with his white z34? I remember hearing about his car a while back.

Comment

Superdave, I told bracketracer he should have gotten a hold of you, but he never did for some reason. It would have been awesome to hang out. As far as that Kevwood guy, he ran a 14.8 something or other and he claimed he spun through the 330' or something ridiculous. Judging by his lack of posting to let us know about his progess, I'd say 14.8x is all we'll ever see out of that car.

Comment

There was a grand prix drag car at byron over here today running low 8's. Something tells me it wasnt a DOHC though!
            2006 AWD TBSS 12.538 @ 106.92 1.66 60' Bolt-ons only

Comment

Damn I'da went to Cordova to see that!!!

Nice run man!
              1999 SVT Lightning
              1996 Monte Z34 R.I.P.
              Next BEATER: a C5
              http://www.fquick.com/ez112

Comment

Thanks. And it wasn't a fluke either because there was a 14.43 and a 14.55 in there too.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSkoolGP View Post
                  Thanks. And it wasn't a fluke either because there was a 14.43 and a 14.55 in there too.
                  That track was damn cold on Friday the 12th, my best time is in my sig.. that's spinning through 1st gear and into 2nd on drag radials.

next time you guys come down let me know, I'm always looking for an excuse to go to the track.
                  Past Builds;
                  Current Project;

Comment

You are tetering on the edge! You rebuild the same way or did you do anything differnt?
                    Lorenzo
                    '11 DODGE Challenger R/ T Classic 57M6 Green with Envy "Giant Green Squid"
                    '92 PONTIAC Grand Prix SE 34TDCM5 "Red Lobster"

Comment

Hey SuperDave, Josh is right, he did tell me that I should let you know that we would be down your way. I wish I had. I just wrongly assumed that you wouldn't show up for a Buick, Olds, Pontiac day. We will all have to find an excuse to meet up at Cordova once I get the Sunbird on the road (I was there running my GTP).

I will vouch for Josh's times. They are legit, and he was really haulin' a$$ that day! I'm glad that he agreed to join me for the event. I told him that he could expect a PB, I just didn't think that it would be that much better.

The track wasn't too bad, but I have seen it better this time of year, plus the wind was out of the SE which hurt ETs a little.

I can also vouch for the power that his 3.4DOHC has at top-end. We did a 70 drop, and I couldn't start to gain on him until about 125 . That's pretty impressive!
                      Joe Morgan
                      bracketracer
                      '93 Sunbird SE 3.1/5-speed 14.869 @ 90.96 Heavily Modded
                      '00 Grand Prix GTP Sedan 13.689 @ 100.97 Lightly Modded
                      '09 G8 GXP Manual Trans 13.166 @ 106.47 BONE STOCK

Comment

The engine is about the same as it's always been. Slightly different computer tune, I just learned how to burn out and launch a lot better.

Comment

Burnouts on street tires are worthless. Just spin them to clean them off. You will turn them into goo and they will spin out of the hole. Get some M/T drag radials and you may see some lower times.
                          2004 Black Cobra Vert

New Best Time 9-2-07: 1.81 60' 12.06 @ 117.3 Mph
                          455 rwhp/ 458 rwtq

1988 Pontiac Grand Prix SE - New Setup: Stock 3400 with 52 k on it from a 05 Impala, 255 walbro, LC-1 WB, Spec 3 Clutch, CS144 Alternator upgrade, DIY tune

1989 Pontiac Turbo Grand prix - 44 k original miles, birchtrax'ed & intrax'ed, crane 2020, Topgun 160 +++ my own special herbs and spices

Comment

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. I had to do burnouts because Cordova, in their infinite wisdom, sprayed water across the entire lane and didn't give you any room to get around it. So just to get the water off the tires I had to do burnouts. Also, they are summer tires so they work better when they got a bit of heat in them, I learned that one from autocrossing. And they hooked better that day than they ever had before, including at Norwalk which has some of the best track prep in the country.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSkoolGP View Post
                              I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. I had to do burnouts because Cordova, in their infinite wisdom, sprayed water across the entire lane and didn't give you any room to get around it. So just to get the water off the tires I had to do burnouts. Also, they are summer tires so they work better when they got a bit of heat in them, I learned that one from autocrossing. And they hooked better that day than they ever had before, including at Norwalk which has some of the best track prep in the country.
                              Cordova is an OLD track.. when the designed it they didn't think anyone would want the extra space to get around the waterbox. I don't think i've ever seen the first 2 or 3 lanes open there either.. lol

alot of guys are buying VHT and doing a small burnout in that, i guess it helps. Warmer weather helps that track alot as well.
                              Past Builds;
                              Current Project;

Comment

Working...
                              X