From stock.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From stock.....

I have a 1992 Z34. As far as I know, everything on it is stock, except for the filter (K&N oem replacement) and the mufflers which are probably just off the shelf (nothing special). I want to give it a bit more kick, but nothing excessive (no twin turbos or nos ). What should I start with? I don't have a ton of experience working with this engine, but I am an airplane mechanic, and i do have the GM manuals for the car. As a side note, the exhaust sounds like it has a rattle in it, but only at 2000RPM. Took it to a muffler shop, and they could not diagnose the problem (hence the new mufflers )

Thanks!

Its normal to have a rasp around that RPM, though usually 2200-2400. A resonator will help. Now if its actually got something in the exhaust, it would fix it but RPM based sounds like the rasp we all know and love (ha).

Performance chip is the easiest way to get more performance out of the car. Porting and timing require a bit more work.
    Ben
    60DegreeV6.com
    WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
      Performance chip is the easiest way to get more performance out of the car. Porting and timing require a bit more work.
      Ok, I heard about the FFP guys, but they've shut down. Any suggestions on another brand? Do I just plug it in and go?

Thx for the quick reply!

Comment

I sell the chip FFP was selling (even when they weren't supposed to be), since I was the one that made them to begin with. UD pulley, there is nothing yet but there may be soon. Otherwise used is the only option for the pulley.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

dont know about the rest of yall, but i didnt notice much gain from the UD pulley.

personally i think the best mods are as follows:
          -Cold air intake such as a FWI
          -cat back exhaust replacement with 2.5" piping
          -ported TB and intake manifold
          -custom tuned chip
          -some nice tires and weight reduction

now it wont make the car more powerful, but suspension mods i feel are real important. things like STB's (strut tower brace's), GMPP trailing arms, kyb struts make for a very nice driving experience. along with the right sway bars... i was luckey enough to have a Z that has the better sway bars.

Comment

where can i get that tuned chip for a 1996 z34 at?

Comment

96 doesn't use a chip so you won't find one. You can get a DHP or HP Tuners programmer however. I was told to use a 97 ECM for my 96 GTP.
              Ben
              60DegreeV6.com
              WOT-Tech.com

Comment

aspracing makes an underdrive pulley and mrzperformance is working on one, along with a billet poly dogbone.
                91 GTP HM-284 GONE
                96 Special Edition LQ1/4T60E GONE

98 Spawn of Satan (L67 Regal)
                87 V10 SM-465/Mild 350
                06 Cobalt SS/SC GONE

Comment

Originally posted by pwmin View Post
                  aspracing makes an underdrive pulley and mrzperformance is working on one, along with a billet poly dogbone.
                  What will that do for me?

Comment

If I get this chip for my 1991 will any mechanic know what to do with it?

thanks

Originally posted by SappySE107 View Post
                    I sell the chip FFP was selling (even when they weren't supposed to be), since I was the one that made them to begin with. UD pulley, there is nothing yet but there may be soon. Otherwise used is the only option for the pulley.

Comment

Working...
                    X