Power gains from a Hypertech chip???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power gains from a Hypertech chip???

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew what kind of power gains you could expect from either the street runner or thermomaster performance chips by Hypertech. I have a 1994 Lumina Z34 if that helps at all.

none. Every major brand was dyno'd and none made power.

Tim
    1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
    325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

I find that hard to believe, is there anyone else that can back this up? If there is I will be incredibly surprised because my friend has a Hypertech chip in his car and it worked good. It is a diff. model of chip though so it doesn't help me with my question.

Comment

Yes, they give you nothing for performance, proven on a dyno with 4 chips. If you don't have any proof that it helped someone else, I find it hard to believe. You can reset your ECM and it will feel different than before. Faster? Maybe. From their chip code? No way. The shit they change is worthless and very generic. It may help on a bigger displacement motor...and only a fraction of what they claim.
        Ben
        60DegreeV6.com
        WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Wow, I am surprised. Well, thanks for telling me, I already wasted my money on one of those Tornado Fuel Saver things. By the way, do you know of any other ways that I could get some cheap horsepower for my car?

Also, my friend has a big V8 in his car so that is probably why he got some results.

Comment

I don't know of any cheap horsepower tricks. If you have the tools, changing the cam timing is free but that takes time to do.
            Ben
            60DegreeV6.com
            WOT-Tech.com

Comment

Tornado Fuel Saver things
              My wife's uncle swore that that thing increased mileage, probably because it was choking the motor.

However, I found it true by adding 3oz of acetone for every 10gal gas your mileage will increase by at least 15% through more complete combustion. I have 5 vehicles (38 cylinders and 92 valves, lol) it worked on them all, and multiple friends' cars that I passed the info along to. It's an octane booster as well (xylene is also an octane booster, but am unsure of the fuel-saving qualities). Bothe are available at Home Depot for about $13/gal.

[/hijack]
              Links:
              WOT-Tech.com
              FaceBook
              Instagram

Comment

I usually mix a couple gallons of e85 with regular gas when I fill up my tank. It burns better (e85 = 100 octane) and its cheaper.

Comment

cheep HP pretty much only comes with do-it-yourself mods.

if you can port and polish your own parts, or build a cold air intake

but the thing most people over look is the general maintenace and tires on the car.... these will make the most dramatic diff in most cars as far as performance.

Comment

buying one makes your wallet lighter.. and we all know less weight = more faster.. that's the trick
                    Past Builds;
                    1991 Z24, 3500/5 Spd. 275WHP/259WTQ 13.07@108 MPH
                    1989 Camaro RS, ITB-3500/700R4. 263WHP/263WTQ 13.52@99.2 MPH
                    Current Project;
                    1972 Nova 12.73@105.7 MPH

Comment

The only things hypertech makes that are worth anything are the thermostats, and the powerprogramer for Turbo diesle trucks, but even in that, bullydog owns them.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/toms92gp
                      http://www.nightrydas.com/theprix.htm

Comment

Working...
                      X