DIY Custom Catback..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Custom Catback..

OK, so my borla is just not cutting it anymore. I love how it sounds but my turbo isn't spooling due to the tiny piping. So im redoing my setup (again... Rolling Eyes).

Im replacing the 4 bolt catback flange with a 2.5" Vband flange. Then im replacing the 2" borla midpipe/resonator with a custom mandrel bent Stainless 2.5" midpipe (no resonator) and into the borla Y-back. Hopefully i can get a little more flow outta my exhaust. And if it sounds poopy without the Resonator i will be adding a 4" round 2.5" in/out magnaflow resonator. it all is going to cost me about 300 buckaroos, keep in mind it would cost more if i was doing the complete system.

I will get pics when the parts arive.

S
    Shane "RedZMonte"
    2004 Corvette Z06 Commemorative Edition -VIRGIN
    1995 Monte Carlo Z34 14.38@101mph, 331hp/355tq
    -Turbonetics T04E Super 60 Turbo, 2.5" Borla Catback, OBDII, 42.5# Injectors
    2004 Subaru WRX STI -Lightly Modded (SOLD)
    1994 Lumina Z34 -VIRGIN (SOLD)
    1992 Lumina Z34-VIRGIN (RIP)
    1992 L67 Lumina Z34 (SOLD)
    1990 Turbo Grand Prix (SOLD)

what size are the pipes coming out of the split? i really hope to get my exhaust done as soon as i can. i hope a cat will help get rid of this raspiness for now. why not just sell the borla kit and do single 3"? im sure you could sell the borla for at least as much as it would cost to replace everything. the borla sounds great though. when are you getting this done? before you tune?
    91 GTP HM-284 GONE
    96 Special Edition LQ1/4T60E GONE

98 Spawn of Satan (L67 Regal)
    87 V10 SM-465/Mild 350
    06 Cobalt SS/SC GONE

Comment

Good luck Shane.

I have had bad luck with running only mufflers at the rear. I always needed a cat or forward muffler to keep things reasonable.

Right now, I have a 3" Borla muffler in the center (I forget the model- it's a race series and 12" long IIRC) going to two straight through Magnaflow 2.5" mufflers in the rear. The sound is perfect. No rasp or drone. Louder than stock, but not obnoxious.

Tim
      1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
      325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

i think because part of the borla system he's keeping is only dual 2" id, it shouldnt be too loud, but you never know.
        91 GTP HM-284 GONE

87 V10 SM-465/Mild 350
        06 Cobalt SS/SC GONE

Comment

The Borla Yback is dual 2" and i will be honest with you, it is VERY quite so if it gets a little louder it will be ok. If not i will add a 4" round 2.5" in/out muffler like i did on the lumina. I was going to buy it then get cheap. I can add it in later if it sounds poopy. i will see what it sounds like and go from there. but eather way it will make my turbo spool a little quiter.
          Shane "RedZMonte"

Comment

I love the reference to the word obnoxious, how do I make my 94 Z34 sound "obnoxious". I am an arse I know, how can I make it rumble very loud? Without that farting honda civic noise.

Comment

Originally posted by MONICAZ34 View Post
              I love the reference to the word obnoxious, how do I make my 94 Z34 sound "obnoxious". I am an arse I know, how can I make it rumble very loud? Without that farting honda civic noise.
              glasspacks on a stock 3.4 are pretty damn loud. ask shane. one night in his old red 92 Z, his mom called him and yelled at him for his exaust and he was already like 5 blocks away, lol.
              91 GTP HM-284 GONE

87 V10 SM-465/Mild 350
              06 Cobalt SS/SC GONE

Comment

Anything with no turbo, no mufflers in the center, and no cat will be loud. For a while, the only mufflers I had were two straight through mufflers in the rear (this was long before the turbo). It took me 1 day to change the exhaust and add another muffler in the middle. It was ridiculously loud and droned like crazy. It was also poppy and raspy and sounded like crap. Not a good combo.

Tim
                1995 Z34 - T04E "60" trim, 42.5 lb/hr injectors, AEM WBO2, FFP UD&DB, 3" exhaust, 2800 stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, Powerslot, Hawk HPS, rear disc conversion, KYB, Eibach, HMS F&R STB, Fittipaldi Force 18" wheels, big stereo, lots more coming eventually...
                325 whp 350 lb-ft

Comment

I have 2 dynomax strait throughs in the back and they are pretty loud. A little poppy at mid rpm but sound real nice under full throttle. COuld post sound clips if you want.

Comment

I just did a custom 2 1/2" with mandrel bends and no cat on my GP into dual Borla Pro XS mufflers. That is a very obnoxious sound when you're on it. It's pretty reasonable when you're cruising, yet you can hear it very well the length of a 1/4 mile strip.
                    I may own a GTO now, but I'm still a 60V6er at heart.

Comment

Hack off your mufflers and replace them with a straight pipe or small glasspacks and you will know Obnoxious! my 1st lumina Z34 wans insane. Then again my L67 Lumina w/ a 3" DP and 3" Sidepipe (no mufflers Just a cat) was even more insane... I still have the sidepipe.... Might become my new track pipe..... Turbo likey!
                      Shane "RedZMonte"

Comment

well the rest of my piping and flanges showed up. prob. tuesday i will have it installed. will try to remember to get pics and a sound clip. it should hopefully help my turbine spool a little faster.

S
                        Shane "RedZMonte"

Comment

Well The 2" borla midpipe and resonator is gone. I replaced the stock 4 bolt catback flange with a 2.5" "V-Band" flange (MUCH BETTER) and the tiny borla piping with 2.5" Stainless catback. The new piping is all mandrel bent, the tubo DEFINATLY Likes the larger piping. Spools faster and pulls harder. I am going to add a magnaflow 18" resonator back in. It is amasing how much the resonator quiets the system down. It is louder then before and a little raspy in low-mid rpms. I will get pics soon. Im a retard and forgot to take some when it was on the lift.

S
                          Shane "RedZMonte"

Comment

I'm interested in the sound clips. I don't mind sound of the turbo spooling, and a rumble is ok.

I am using a 2.5" downpipe ot he stock size 2.25" cat and back to the 2.25" dual outlet (dynomax cat-back), and want to change to a full 2.5" (cat delete) to a 2.5"/3" dual out muffler.

Here's what it sounded like N/A and the catback with the stock cat (sounds better driving, but you get the idea in park)...
                            http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t...t=100_2727.flv
                            Links:
                            WOT-Tech.com
                            FaceBook
                            Instagram

Comment

here is my new Mandrel 2.5" mid pipe. I did add a resonator into the system, it was just a little raspy and just a little too loud for my liking.... Must be geting old! (if its too loud, your too old...) it sounds about the same as it did with the old piping and resonator. that magnaflow res. does its job very well. infact it might be a little quieter and flows better

Did notice a good power gain when i replaced the 2" borla piping with the custom piping. The Turbo Likey!
                              Last edited by RedZMonte; 07-10-2007, 01:50 PM.
                              Shane "RedZMonte"

Comment

Working...
                              X