New Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Motor

I am thinking that for a summer project, I will buy a junkyard 96-97 LQ1 and rebuild it. This is my first engine rebuild so I would like to tear into the motor when it's out of the car. Anyhow, husky and OldSkool have already been very helpful with ideas but I would like to open this up to the entire forum. My car is a 94 GTP. I am not going to be doing a OBDII swap, but possibly a manual swap. I don't want to run boost as this will be a daily driver. What parts should I replace on the motor, what parts should I upgrade, and what problems with the factory should I fix when I have the thing apart? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    1994 Grand Prix GTP
    LQ1
    4T60-E
    FFP UD Pulley
    K&N

if you have a good budget is this is about everything i can think of.

replace the o-ring in that dist blockoff.

new bearings/gaskets etc.

have a machine shop do a low level rebuild on your heads, resurfacing, new valve seals etc..

if u have the budget for it replace the alt and keep yours as a spare.

replace the engine/tranny mounts if the mileage is high.

replace timing belt assembly.

new head bolts a must

you do all these things and the engine will be like new, probably will not have to worry about anything for a long time.

as far as upgrades:

if u like i suppose you can have a machinist or some1 increase the pressure on your oilpump.

are you going to re-use your stock pistons? if yes, nvm if no have some1 balance the engine.

also this is a great time to port you heads if u have the bank.

if u are doing a tranny swap good time to hook the tranny up with a performance clutch/pressure plate and maybe an aluminum flywheel.

also use gm syncromesh to fill the tranny back up.

lighter lifters may be a plus

headers: the milzy motorsport headers for the monte carlo will fit in a 1st gen w-body like they were made for it.

good time to upgrade the crank pulley when it is easy to get to.

basically focus your upgrades on internal parts or hard to get to parts that would require you to pull the engine out to install.

other than the head porting all these engine mods would make your car fun to drive and good on gas without sacrificing reliability. p.s. the manual tranny will hurt your reliability due to the gearing but that was your mod, but it is well worth it. the manual wbodies are much much more fun to drive and seem to respond well to suspension modifications.

hope this helps.
    The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

Comment

Thanks dohcfiend, anybody else have an opinion or would like to second something? In regards to the manual, what can I do to beef up the 4T-60E then without getting rediculously expensive? Also, with the cam setup, since I am usually in the lower rpm's of the power band, usually either highway driving or the occaisional street light run, I was thinking of doing the +6/-6. Now, for clarification, this is +6 on the intake, -6 on the exhaust or am I completely lost? Once again, thanks for the response.
      1994 Grand Prix GTP
      LQ1
      4T60-E
      FFP UD Pulley
      K&N

Comment

oh also replace your timing chain and tensioner .

not sure on the auto other than get a 4t65e and make it work with your engine
        The Official Rotating Mass Nazi

Comment

Working...
        X